DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it time to retire my MP1?

Colberado

Reactions
Recently my mp has failed me on some pretty clutch video opportunities in places I worked very hard to get to. Several times prior I had lost video transmission mid-flight and would have to fly back w/o video feed-I managed. As of recent I’m getting “stick EMI2 error” on my screen as well as “controller failure” and “compass error”. Every time I boot it up there is a strong magnetic interference notification even if I’m in the middle of nowhere. Even still, after about 5-10 reboots I get it to fly, only to lose video transmission yet again and more frequently mid-flight. I’ve already tried recalibration on everything including IMU, compass, gimbal, sticks, etc. Nothing seems to work.

I frequently fly in freezing temps (sometimes under 10°) and in high winds. It’s just the nature of where I collect my shots. I know this is terrible for the drone itself, however its made it over a year to this point doing just that. My question, and suspicion: Is it probable that my compass is literally fried from all of the abuse? No mods, hx of one crash with repair by dji, all updated firmware. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
Its your choice, but if I were using my drone as you are, I would 100% have a backup drone. You could carry a Spark, or an Air as a backup, and then have some insurance and redundancy.

Replacing the compass isnt that expensive, and I wouldnt retire a well used drone because of it. The disconnects could be from your device. Ive never seen controller failure as an error message, but it could be a controller problem, a $75 fix.

If you just dont feel good flying it any more, you can still get some good money for it and go get yourself an M2 with Refresh and warranty.

Reactions: mereflyer and RTKD
Thanks for the reply Thunderdrones. I’ve been considering going with the new M2. Heard anything in terms of it operating slightly better in extreme low temps and high winds vs the M1? I’ve read that the phantom and other higher tier drones do but the size is just not practical when snowshoeing or hiking countless miles into remote areas. There’s gotta be a mod out there (like a mid-flight warming sleeve) for the batteries etc.

Thanks for the reply Thunderdrones. I’ve been considering going with the new M2. Heard anything in terms of it operating slightly better in extreme low temps and high winds vs the M1? I’ve read that the phantom and other higher tier drones do but the size is just not practical when snowshoeing or hiking countless miles into remote areas. There’s gotta be a mod out there (like a mid-flight warming sleeve) for the batteries etc.

For me, the M2's added weight and stability make it better for flying in higher winds. Really nothing you can do about the cold, but you have given me an idea of a mod for cold weather flying to keep the battery warm! Great idea.

Last edited:
For me, the M2's added weight and stability make it better for flying in higher winds. Really nothing you can do about the cold, but you have gien me an idea of a mod for cold weather flying to keep the battery warm! Great idea.

I’ll be your first customer for something like that. I know they sell an electric warmer for DSLR lens to reduce condensation but it seems too bulky w the battery. Something powered by small button batteries seems more realistic. Even then, the batteries would have to be somehow resistant/protected from the cold. Thanks for the input, think I will invest in the M2.

Reactions: Former Member
This might be a good time to address what on the mavic, aside from the pilot, is very prone to malfunctioning in below freezing conditions.

The battery would be my 1st concern because without that you're dead in the air. The next would be the internal boards, and next would be the props getting too brittle. We can't forget any moving parts especially those made of rubber or elastic material.

Thoughts?

The battery would be my 1st concern because without that you're dead in the air. The next would be the internal boards, and next would be the props getting too brittle. We can't forget any moving parts especially those made of rubber or elastic material.
Thoughts?

I think the rubber and elastic materials would be more resistant until you get down into the negatives (maybe like -20°?). I think if the battery and internal boards stayed relatively warm in the air that would suffice. I’m pretty confident that’s why my mp has been crapping out mid-flight. Side note-I’ve tried keeping everything warm with hand warmers etc. Doesn’t work when that stuff hits freezing air.

I frequently fly in freezing temps (sometimes under 10°) and in high winds. It’s just the nature of where I collect my shots. I know this is terrible for the drone itself, however its made it over a year to this point doing just that. My question, and suspicion: Is it probable that my compass is literally fried from all of the abuse? No mods, hx of one crash with repair by dji, all updated firmware. Thanks!

The temperatures you are flying in are not a problem at all. I live in northwestern Ontario and constantly fly at temperatures around -25 F.
My one concern is that you are keeping the batteries warm in an inside pocket before you install them.

I would agree with what others here have stated you are experiencing a compass failure or it is in need of degaussing.
Cheers

The temperatures you are flying in are not a problem at all. I live in northwestern Ontario and constantly fly at temperatures around -25 F.
My one concern is that you are keeping the batteries warm in an inside pocket before you install them.

I would agree with what others here have stated you are experiencing a compass failure or it is in need of degaussing.
Cheers

In many cases I’m having to snowshoe/ski in 10-20 miles in so that sometimes proves difficult even with hand warmers, and considering weight in my pack something more advanced for warming isn’t practical. In any case I still need max distance and flight time on location, especially due to heavy winds. Are you getting that in those kinds of temps? I agree I def need to degauss my compass after looking at the status. I was wondering if the temp was what knocked it in the first place considering it was never placed nor stored near any strong magnetic interference. Thanks for the advice! Cheers

In many cases I’m having to snowshoe/ski in 10-20 miles in so that sometimes proves difficult even with hand warmers, and considering weight in my pack something more advanced for warming isn’t practical. In any case I still need max distance and flight time on location, especially due to heavy winds. Are you getting that in those kinds of temps? I agree I def need to degauss my compass after looking at the status. I was wondering if the temp was what knocked it in the first place considering it was never placed nor stored near any strong magnetic interference. Thanks for the advice! Cheers

Typically when I am going in somewhere I'll keep my batteries in my inside Mickey pocket, that will keep them plenty warm enough for flying. Even at my coldest flight which was around -35 C/-31 F I can still get 21 or 22 minutes flight time and land at between 25 and 30%, I'm flying a pro platinum.

The wind is obviously a whole different issue, windchill doesn't affect equipment but will sure make any exposed skin suffer exposure and possibly frostbite fairly quickly. Also high winds can blow your drone away, but it sounds like you're pretty experienced with flying in high winds. If you turn off the obstacle avoidance sensors you gain a several mph without using sport mode which really drains your battery fast.

I have never experienced any equipment issues because of flying in cold. @Canuk is another person I know flies in some pretty cold conditions he might have some insight I missed.

Any other questions don't hesitate to contact me.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I have an idea to help keep electronics warm. maybe good maybe not. I know in cold weather people put card board in front of vehicle radiators. Maybe tape some or all of the air intake to block cold air. Just a thought. Also I have foot warmers that insert in boots and run on a nine volt. It's a thin sheet of some kind of heat tape that could be taped over the battery pack for flight. Just some thoughts.

I have an idea to help keep electronics warm. maybe good maybe not. I know in cold weather people put card board in front of vehicle radiators. Maybe tape some or all of the air intake to block cold air. Just a thought. Also I have foot warmers that insert in boots and run on a nine volt. It's a thin sheet of some kind of heat tape that could be taped over the battery pack for flight. Just some thoughts.
No need the electronics don't need to be kept warm and if you're only flying at freezing you could damage the main board because of overheating if you close off the intake.

If the battery was warm when you launched the drone it will generate heat as you fly so not an issue either.

Cheers

Reactions: Ranmanjc
Typically when I am going in somewhere I'll keep my batteries in my inside Mickey pocket, that will keep them plenty warm enough for flying. Even at my coldest flight which was around -35 C/-31 F I can still get 21 or 22 minutes flight time and land at between 25 and 30%, I'm flying a pro platinum.

The wind is obviously a whole different issue, windchill doesn't affect equipment but will sure make any exposed skin suffer exposure and possibly frostbite fairly quickly. Also high winds can blow your drone away, but it sounds like you're pretty experienced with flying in high winds. If you turn off the obstacle avoidance sensors you gain a several mph without using sport mode which really drains your battery fast.

I have never experienced any equipment issues because of flying in cold. @Canuk is another person I know flies in some pretty cold conditions he might have some insight I missed.

Any other questions don't hesitate to contact me.
Cheers.

Maybe I’m just looking for a decent excuse to upgrade my drone. TD made a good point with better operation in the wind w the M2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pacodrone2024