DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this hobby going to last?

David Berger

Reactions
Ok. Over the last week since joining this group I have received a great response to my question about buying my first drone. Thanks to all. But the more I researched the drone hobby the more I worry that with the new rules that seem to be coming down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile. Really hate the thought of spending a thousand dollars (or even five hundred) just to have use of it for such a short time. It almost seems that it was easier and less restrictive for me to fly my private plane than a drone. Thoughts & comments.

Reactions: Marcius
I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile.
That's a popular sentiment.
When I started flying six years ago I read plenty of similar posts but still haven't seen anything to indicate they are correct.

down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost
[/QUOTE

You might be thinking about this the wrong way.

You should expect to get a new drone every 1 to two years because that is part of the hobby in a way.

Than you sell your drone , take a small loss and move up to the next new drone squeezing out all the fun you can.

As far as being obsolete , DJI has a tendency to move slightly backwards and than forward , its a slow process to anything becoming obsolete.

You should be first to buy a drone and first to sell a drone as rumors confirm of a new drone.

My phantom 4 Pro Plus system is going on 3 years so there is a drone that lasted much longer than expected.

The Air 2 likely to be good for a year or two unless the mavic 3 comes out sooner than expected.

Hot Items sell fast the first year, and still hold some value into the second year.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain/Snow

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The rules, regulations and restrictions are interesting, and I guess are the result of a few idiots who decide to do stupid stuff for sh1ts and giggles, like the protesters who stopped all air traffic at London Gatwick airport by flying a drone over the runway at night!. Certification is not a stupid idea though, you wouldn’t want to have People driving on the road without any qualification. HOWEVER..having seen the video of the new regulations they are enacting in Canada, that is clearly absurd. In any event, how on earth would they ever police it? It’s all a matter of being sensible and considerate to others, I see no reason why having some well thought out rules would ruin any drone guys enjoyment. And professionals who would be flying in heavily populated urban areas, certainly ought to be certified.

The rules, regulations and restrictions are interesting, and I guess are the result of a few idiots who decide to do stupid stuff for sh1ts and giggles, like the protesters who stopped all air traffic at London Gatwick airport by flying a drone over the runway at night!. Certification is not a stupid idea though, you wouldn’t want to have People driving on the road without any qualification. HOWEVER..having seen the video of the new regulations they are enacting in Canada, that is clearly absurd. In any event, how on earth would they ever police it? It’s all a matter of being sensible and considerate to others, I see no reason why having some well thought out rules would ruin any drone guys enjoyment. And professionals who would be flying in heavily populated urban areas, certainly ought to be certified.

Im not sure why people think that just a minuscule number of Drone Infractions would be the cause of the new regulations set fourth or that have been enforced.

I think your missing the bigger picture , the question that should always be asked is who stands to Profit and how.

Amazon has been lobbying for awhile now to be able to deliver packages by drones , and to do that they need a clean air space as do other companies.

If i were to take a guess, I would say that the 400 ft level is going to slowly fade to about 200ft , leaving the 300 to 400 ft levels for Amazon and other big companies to dominate that area.

I think DJI is also waiting to see how it all plays out with Amazon and the FAA , believe me when I tell you its not about air ports and drones, , it about the 100 mil that Amazon is going to drop to get there way.

The hobby will endure , but were going to loose a little more before it it settles .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in the Rain.
Coal

Rules-- most of us will comply but the ones not here are not going to based on ignorance(not an excuse)
A bigger concern to me is i get the feeling the commander in chief will slap 40% tariffs on what the govt calls spying equipment from DJI.. That will effect this hobby more than the regulations
(humble opinion could be wrong)

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Ok. Over the last week since joining this group I have received a great response to my question about buying my first drone. Thanks to all. But the more I researched the drone hobby the more I worry that with the new rules that seem to be coming down the pike I fear that in a couple years anything that I buy will be obsolete and unusable and that the restrictions will make it almost impossible to fly anywhere that would be worthwhile. Really hate the thought of spending a thousand dollars (or even five hundred) just to have use of it for such a short time. It almost seems that it was easier and less restrictive for me to fly my private plane than a drone. Thoughts & comments.
Any changes that are coming regarding the FAA's Remote ID implementation are not something that you have to immediately worry about. These changes are very likely three or more years out from now, so you will have plenty of time to enjoy whatever you purchase, and by then, it will no doubt be obsolete for reasons other than any new rules. Over time, these devices become obsolete because things like replacement batteries, props, and assorted parts become either crazy expensive or not even available. So, buy whatever it is that interest you, along with extra batteries and extra props, and fly responsibly and enjoy. Then, reassess several years from now what you would like to do based on any changes that may or may not come.

I don’t see any thing going away, just being more regulated. The problem is regulations tend to be associated with expenses. Take a requirement that forces you to fly at club sites. Most club sites have expenses, which generally include insurance, but can also include rent, repairs and maintenance of facilities, grounds upkeep, etc... They in turn have to pass the expenses off to users in the form of dues and fees. Not to mention, that they need a minimum membership to manage that - which they often only achieve by handing a larger geographic area.

Now take the remote id requirement. The industry partners suggested using WiFi to broadcast the information from the drones. Not a huge problem since apparently most of the drones either transmit or have the ability to transmit on WiFi frequencies (even if they use a different format). The drones already have gps so they have their location and their home locations. About the only thing the drone needs to be updated for is its user id and the format to broadcast this telemetry.

Now the FAA wants this information to be databased. Since most pilots already have cell phones - they could transmit the available telemetry to the database. While cellular data is an additional expense, it is probably not a huge hurtle. Funding the database suggested however are for profit subscription models. That could become expensive. Of course the manufacturer could eat this cost - but then people would complain their DJI drones are sending all their telemetry to China and spying on us.

The increased government regulation brings up privacy concerns to me. Not just with China, but with our own government having access to personal information, real time monitoring of your activities (at least while flying in the future). Our government has a poor track record of what they do with your information, at least for some folks you hear about.

It does make you think. On the other hand, I just bought a new DJI drone, so I must be willing to sacrifice some measure of gov intervention in my life. :)

I think it depends on what you expect out of the hobby, if in the future you'll want to keep in it, and what you feel comfortable spending on it. I jumped in, purchased a lot of equipment for my MP and don't use it nearly as much as I thought would but it fits as an important tool in my photo tool box.
There are different types of RC flying though. Perhaps you'd enjoy something else in the RC aircraft hobby, maybe something like a racing drone? Fixed wing?
Overall I don't fly my Mavic for fun, I use it as a camera platform. That said, even my old MP does a great job and three years is still a ways off. I have a lot of hobbies and a camera quad blends nicely with them. If I didn't have a camera drone today, I'd feel pretty good about the Mavic Air2 for my needs. I wouldn't upgrade much over a fly more kit and just enjoy it.

Firstly, I believe that registration is not a bad thing for those of us serious about the hobby. It is also my opinion that whatever regulations or restrictions that are brought in to curb the nuisance flyers, which of course will impact on all of us genuine hobbyists, they are going about things the wrong way. It seems plainly obvious to me, so why not to the ligislators, that no matter what legislation is brought in, it will not stop criminals and idiots doing what they want to do, while impacting hugely on the hobby we love.

David: Give it a shot, if you maintain your gear well it will retain some resale value if you decide to bail out. You seem like a research kind of person, so make sure your not frustrated by unreasonable expectations and clearly understand where close to you you can operate. Frequency of flight availability translates to convenience to launch site access so plan accordingly.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained. Enjoy it & Fly SAFE! (hope that is the push that gets you over the edge)

Firstly, I believe that registration is not a bad thing for those of us serious about the hobby. It is also my opinion that whatever regulations or restrictions that are brought in to curb the nuisance flyers, which of course will impact on all of us genuine hobbyists, they are going about things the wrong way. It seems plainly obvious to me, so why not to the ligislators, that no matter what legislation is brought in, it will not stop criminals and idiots doing what they want to do, while impacting hugely on the hobby we love.
I have to use the example of HAM radio. Most HAMs including me started out on unregulated CB radio. At some point at least in my area, it got to the point that you couldn't have the radio on with the kids in the same room. Being that knowbody knows who or where anyone is, it was a free for all. Of course there are a lot of good operators, but the bad ones made it almost unusable. I moved to HAM radio where everyone is licensed, and everyone knows who and where you are, and it is a completely different world. Sure you give up some privacy, but the operation is clean and professional. I believe that FCC changes are quite some time out there, and will possibly change the hobby some, but not necessarily in a bad way. For the most part they are only trying to keep the skies safe for all involved, and it may be a plus as far as public relations go. If folks know that operators are regulated and monitored as far as location, maybe they will slack off on worrying about spying/peeping and all the other ridiculous accusations they come up with. Will it add to the hobby cost? Obviously yes, but cost always continues to go up no matter what.

I started with the FAA in 1989. At that time they were starting an equipment modernization program to upgrade our computers that were still running on tubes and would crash at the worst possible times. They terminated that project due to costs running several billion dollars over budget. Yes "billions" with a capitol "B". Then they started another program called NexGen, which is to modernize not only the ATC antiquated equipment we used, but also to streamline the entire National Airspace System (NAS). That project started in 2007 and is already running behind schedule with latest estimates stating it won't be complete until 2030, five years later than originally planned. I retired in 2013 seeing only a few of the changes that were promised or stated were coming. My point to this is this, the FAA and FCC are government entities, and just from that fact nothing happens quickly, or even at all. Go fly, enjoy the hobby and upgrade your equipment when your wife gives you permission. ? ?

I too have felt I got into drones just a little too late. No longer had I acquired my certification the entire drone as a hobby started going down hill.
When the mini hit the market that dominated this blog. It showed me people want to fly drones but the heavy hand of government for whatever motive is a killer to this hobby. wish I had sold my Mavic Pro long time ago.

Yes in my opinion you have thrown $1000 bucks down the drain.

First thing is... Stop relying on the media! While regulations are brewing, don't let the fear mongering stop you from an incredible hobby! You will easily get you money's worth of enjoyment... I sure have even in my first couple of months! MM & M2Z

Reactions: KB9Radio and sar104
Spent $800.00 for a Mavic Air that I have been flying for a year and a half. I would spend another $800.00 as long as I could get the views, thrills, and fun I have had with this new hobby.
I was a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne in 69,70 and 71. This flying gave me the feeling I missed being up in the air, and to be able to see your neighborhood as never before
is just great. "Buy the drone of your choice that you can afford".

I think it depends on what you expect out of the hobby, if in the future you'll want to keep in it, and what you feel comfortable spending on it. I jumped in, purchased a lot of equipment for my MP and don't use it nearly as much as I thought would but it fits as an important tool in my photo tool box.
There are different types of RC flying though. Perhaps you'd enjoy something else in the RC aircraft hobby, maybe something like a racing drone? Fixed wing?
Overall I don't fly my Mavic for fun, I use it as a camera platform. That said, even my old MP does a great job and three years is still a ways off. I have a lot of hobbies and a camera quad blends nicely with them. If I didn't have a camera drone today, I'd feel pretty good about the Mavic Air2 for my needs. I wouldn't upgrade much over a fly more kit and just enjoy it.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. After flying fixed wing aircraft for years, I have just recently gotten into small FPV quads (not racing) which are fitted with onboard HD recording of the flights. It is great fun. They weigh less than 150g (1 is under 70g) so there is no need to register them. I use my DJI products for filming those magnificent remote places I may visit and which also means I am not to worried about the authorities when I am flying the DJI stuff. I have just sold my first Mavic Air and will pick up my new Mavic Air 2 next Friday. There are so many different ways to enjoy the hobby and regulations may place some restrictions in the way in the future but as hobbyists we will always find a way to enjoy our hobbies, we always have, we always will.

I share your concern. I'm relatively new to this hobby and as an avid photographer I find the possibilities exhilarating. But the proposed regs are ominous and will likely require the purchase of new equipment with burdensome flying proscriptions. Notwithstanding optimistic projections to the contrary, and although full implementation will take a few years, these regs are coming and they will drastically affect how hobbyists fly their drones. What we all have to decide is are we willing to continue this hobby with the limitations. I, for one, have no interest in operating outside the bounds of the law.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid