DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal?

conchman

Reactions
Whenever I plug my Samsung 9+ into the RC, it says on my phone that its "charging." Is this normal usage or actually transferring battery power from RC into phone? I can fly 3 batteries with one charge on the RC no problem, so it's basically a non problem. Probably insignificant issue, but want to make sure.

Whenever I plug my Samsung 9+ into the RC, it says on my phone that its "charging." Is this normal usage or actually transferring battery power from RC into phone? I can fly 3 batteries with one charge on the RC no problem, so it's basically a non problem. Probably insignificant issue, but want to make sure.
Yes, that's normal for Android devices, and yes it does drain the RC a bit. Usually not a problem considering the capacity of the controller battery.

It does not do this with IOS devices although I wish I had that as an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: conchman
yes, that means that the RC is charging your phone. Usually there is a setting somewhere in your phone to turn this off.

With my iPhone I use only around 10-15% of the RC per MPP battery.

Reactions: conchman
I'm not a Samsung Fan (note4) bricked 18months
That being said
Android phone
Go into setting
Scroll to Advance Setting
Fearture
Should be a tab
"connect to"
In there will be several setting
Like (connect to PC)
Charge only
Camera PTP
Install Drivers
(select)
Media device MTP
That will let your phone communicate with Mavic controller.
........................................without your controller charging you phone

....cR

Last edited:
Whenever I plug my Samsung 9+ into the RC, it says on my phone that its "charging." Is this normal usage or actually transferring battery power from RC into phone?
It is actually charging the phone and it's normal. Ignore the post above about changing the mode, it does not change anything about the charging bit.

Reactions: DanMan32

For Adroid phones there it is something normal. From the moment you connect your phone to the RC your phone sees it as a Power Bank.

For Adroid phones there it is something normal. From the moment you connect your phone to the RC your phone sees it as a Power Bank.

Does this do that even if you are plugged into the USB connection on the bottom of the controller?
Or only if you are plugged into the USB connection on the side of the controller?

The reason I am asking is because I know you cannot charge your controller with the USB connection on the bottom of the controller.

Does this do that even if you are plugged into the USB connection on the bottom of the controller?
Or only if you are plugged into the USB connection on the side of the controller?

The reason I am asking is because I know you cannot charge your controller with the USB connection on the bottom of the controller.

Yes, it charges in both ports.

Just to mention that if you want to use the bottom port you have to remove the mini USB from the upper corner. The bottom port is used when the user wants to use bigger screen like a tablet or a bigger phone.

One other question.
Can I hook up a power bank to the side USB charging port to charge my RC and use the bottom USB port for my tablet all at the same time while I am flying?

One other question.
Can I hook up a power bank to the side USB charging port to charge my RC and use the bottom USB port for my tablet all at the same time while I am flying?

No, as you can read at the manual you can use only one port at the time. But to be honest I haven't try to use a power bank to charge the RC from the bottom while using the top port to fly. You can give or a try.

Reactions: sea157
No, as you can read at the manual you can use only one port at the time. But to be honest I haven't try to use a power bank to charge the RC from the bottom while using the top port to fly. You can give or a try.

As I understand it you CANNOT charge it with the bottom USB port.
But I did see a video where you can hook a power bank into the side USB charging port and you can charge it and use the bottom USB port for you phone or tablet to fly while charging.
I am going to buy a power bank and try this.

Yes, side port can be used to charge the RC even when using the bottom port to tether your device. Works on an M2 controller.

Note that the bottom port may show a charging current to your device even when it isn't operating as data. Example is when stock short cable is plugged into the side. Don't get fooled like I first did.

As I understand it you CANNOT charge it with the bottom USB port.
But I did see a video where you can hook a power bank into the side USB charging port and you can charge it and use the bottom USB port for you phone or tablet to fly while charging.
I am going to buy a power bank and try this.

Well I tried to charge the RC from the top port while I was using the boom port to connect my phone and it worked.

So you can charge RC while it charges your phone while flying Mavic Pro. :D:D:D

It's funny but that is how it worked. I sent a picture.

20181107_104531.jpg

Well I tried to charge the RC from the top port while I was using the boom port to connect my phone and it worked.

So you can charge RC while it charges your phone while flying Mavic Pro. :D:D:D

It's funny but that is how it worked. I sent a picture.

View attachment 52588
With the battery to usb adapter you could use one of your discharged MP batteries to power both your RC and phone. As long as you return with just a few % there should be some power left in your drone batteries.

My phone battery has plenty of life but my old tablet could discharge itself in one or two flights running DJI GO (ha ha).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustjan