DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this why we are so restricted with our quads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shooting the sea lions with my DSLR yesterday down in La Jolla, 5 miles outside of downtown SD and some pilot thought it was a bright idea to fly his Mavic 5' above the lot of the beached lions.

The next minute a Phantom went flying by full tilt buzzing all the onlookers :rolleyes:

Being hit on the head with a Mavic is going to be a much different experience than being hit on the head with a Phantom 3. The Mavic does not have as much structure to absorb the impact, it is more like the block of wood that they mention in the study than the relatively flexible Phantom 3.

Further, as far as I can tell, they only dropped the Phantom 3 landing gear first. Not at all like the damage that a free falling, nose down Mavic would do.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I see lots of this and I am thinking this is why we have so many restrictions and fewer and fewer places to legally fly and enjoy our Hobby. What do you think?

Nice video Thank you!
Can you give me your gimbal settings?

Definately a dumb ***. Would be nice to see an organization/entity devoted to researching identities and forwarding to authorities in extreme cases. Iv'e watched vid of night flying thru the city and it was awesome. Worst case scenario drone falling from 300 feet most likely will not hit anyone. Probably not even do much damage. Big planes fall and rarely kill people on the ground. But flying over stadium or crowds and odds go thru the roof. You are looking for bad juju and you may get help finding it.

Reactions: debric france
If the mavic fell from 300ft and hit someone in the head it would most likely kill them.

Actually FAA just released a study about the dangers of free falling drones. Not as serious a risk as initially thought.

If you don't think a more compact and harder drone such as the Mavic would pose any danger then let me drop one off on your head from a few stories .
Yes I think if the Mavic fell from 300 ft AND HIT SOMEONE IN THE HEAD IT COULD KILL!

try it out and drop your mavic on your head from 300 ft and get a video of you not getting hurt.

I'm still not sure why these two (rydfree & blades) want to drop a mavic on my head because the FAA did a study.

I didn't at anytime express my personal thoughts or feelings on the subject.

If your test is so scientific then why does the FAA still not allow us to fly over people? Why don't you bring that up with the FAA how scientific your test is? So don't be a a@$ hole!

It is their (FAA) test with 2 years of data and peer-reviewed by some of the most elite scientists on the planet. It seems I don't need to bring up anything to the FAA, as they are putting in the effort all on their own.

Again, I have not expressed an opinion yet. I merely cited the most thorough scientific evidence we have up to this point. I'm sure there will be more studies and our understanding of the associated risks will increase as more scientific evidence is presented. Until then....I will take your wild conjecture and the FAA's science into account during my decision making process. (Weighted based on efficacy results of course)

This is Cusel

I believe in taking responsibility for ones own actions! You can fly anyway you want! My point was simple. FLying "irresponsibly" is "probably" the reason why we are getting shut down in so many areas to fly. Again ..

"If" something hits someone in the "head" wait for it ... KEY WORD... "COULD" kill .... Not that it will but "IS" a "possibility". If you want to get technical what if the Mavic fell and hit a moving vehicle that then struck another vehicle, pedestrian or building as a chain reaction because of the irresponsible drone operator. When planes do crash they do not just drop straght down and the pilots "try" to land as safe as they can.
Plane's Crash Landing Kills Strolling Dad, Injures Daughter

When you lose control of a quadcopter after hitting a building there is a "possibility" you lose "all" control.. Key "words"... You completely missed the point of the post and are stuck on me saying "LIKELY KILL" If you think something falling from 300ft "WOULD NEVER KILL" even if it hit a baby, toddler, kid, or old person in the "head" you are wrong. Also the definition of "COULD" is used to indicate possibility. Definition of possibly for English Language Learners. —used to say something might happen, exist, or be true but is not certain.
Latin American Herald Tribune - Colombian Man Killed by Falling Coconut

Heads up but a plane is "LOUD"
Reading back on this thread, you really did misunderstand what Cusel was posting. You may want to go back to the beginning because you're getting butt hurt over nothing.
Now back to your original post, does anyone know if he is part 107 certified, and if so, is it possible he had a waiver to fly where he did?

Reactions: ThisIsCusel
That's my biggest fear even flying over homes and buildings.

I'm scared shitless of it falling and hitting a child man. That's brutal.

I remember in December thinking hard about flying my Mavic around the Space Needle early early in the morning scared out of my mind.

I finally chickened out. Glad I did

You didn't chicken out you dud the responsibility thing good for you

I'm still not sure why these two (rydfree & blades) want to drop a mavic on my head because the FAA did a study.

I didn't at anytime express my personal thoughts or feelings on the subject.

I guess reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

You posted it for a reason but yes I want a Mavic dropped on your head so I can have a real world incident to link to in support of my opinion :).

To the OP's point I think irresponsible drone behavior is a symptom of the "Oh look at me" society we live in. Like the parents on youtube that recently got two of their two kids taken away because they were playing pranks on them. Or the one guy who was removing stop signs in the road and filming cars driving thru area where the sign previously was.

These people want attention so bad that theyre willing to abuse children and do illegal isht/foolish isht to get views....

:cool::DThumbswayup

Reactions: rydfree and Ed_2020
Being Blades took down the video as well as deleted lots
of post and this looking like it's wanting to get violent ...
IMG_8915.GIF

Let's just consider this thread
CLOSED

Reactions: Blades and flemmodk
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members