DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issues with camera straightening to to horizon when banking

Arnold

Reactions
Hey guys,

I noticed an issue when I was flying the mavic recently. when banking/turning the mavic should always stay in line with the horizon. But when i come to a full stop in mid air I would notice that the picture would be in an angle to the horizon, then slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) the camera would start aligning itself back to the horizon. So obviously the camera is not following the horizontal plain properly. I did some tests at home simulating a banking maneuver with and without nd filters installed (I thought that the filters might have something to do with it). Sometime it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. So I have not come to a proper conclusion yet.....but I was wondering if anyone else might have had a similar issue and maybe have a solution or other ways of troubleshooting the problem. Any input will be appreciated.
Below is just one example of what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
Apparently a recent FW revision addressed this issue but i am yet to be convinced.
From day one the mavic has shown this problem and some people are reporting that it still exists while others have better luck.

I am up to date on firmware. This Mavic is in fact my second one.Had to trade it in due to a crash and that one had firmware .800. My first mavic never had any of those issues.

It's inherent somewhat to some MP gimbal/camera assembly, some has this issue and some don't, it's a crap shoot. Did you try correcting this issue on gimbal roll?

I had FW update today and flew, thought it was better.
You can programme one of your scrolling wheels to calibrate the gimbal angle if it gets back sometimes and needs correcting.
I can't recall what was on that wheel as standard, but I left the left hand scroll as gimbal up / down, and changed the (white balance ?) on the right hand scroll to calibrate horizon.

Hey guys,

I noticed an issue when I was flying the mavic recently. when banking/turning the mavic should always stay in line with the horizon. But when i come to a full stop in mid air I would notice that the picture would be in an angle to the horizon, then slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) the camera would start aligning itself back to the horizon. So obviously the camera is not following the horizontal plain properly. I did some tests at home simulating a banking maneuver with and without nd filters installed (I thought that the filters might have something to do with it). Sometime it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. So I have not come to a proper conclusion yet.....but I was wondering if anyone else might have had a similar issue and maybe have a solution or other ways of troubleshooting the problem. Any input will be appreciated.
Below is just one example of what i'm talking about.

I have a similar issue. I can correct for it by adjusting gimbal but then after a turn it’s off again. Very marginal issue . Running.4 firmware.

I have a similar issue. I can correct for it by adjusting gimbal but then after a turn it’s off again. Very marginal issue . Running.4 firmware.
I have the same exact issue, if you rotate the MP while hovering @ some alt. you will come to a point where the horizon is not level anymore, not so much of an issue just an annoyance (FW 400).

Reactions: MrsTreat
I calibrated gimbal on a level surface and seemed to help a little. Also panning real slow.

When it's off I'll quickly pan the other way of the tilt to get it to level faster. Kind of manually levels it.

Or just get used to it.

Same lol

Must be this 0.0400 FW :D

Correct to level, do a turn, correct to level, do a turn...

Arh well the devil you know ....

Maybe you should update firmware to see if the prob goes away. :)

Here's an update. I have done all the firmware updates. Reset the drone and did all the calibrations. The issue is still there. It's a faulty gimbal/camera. When I rotate the drone to the left,The horizon will be off. Funny thing is,When I rotate it to the right, I don't have that issue. Banking right and left is not a problem at all. I didn't have this problem with my previous mavic. So I'm sending this one in while it's still under warranty. I'm starting to notice a pattern with DJI and it's not good. If it's not one thing, it's something else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d