DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italy and Greece drone regulation

Anytime guys. I'll be checking for the web form regularly and find out how myself and others can fly with a bit more piece of mind. Yes, rules and laws are getting harder so it is up to us sometimes to protect our hobby. Most people are afraid of things that dont know and drones on neighborhoods, parks and beaches are a whole new thing. We can be careful with this and polite when others seem to be annoyed, we can show them, explain to them. I think most of the times it is about communicating the sport and showing some understanding.

Happy flying!

Reactions: mlaczek
Anytime guys. I'll be checking for the web form regularly and find out how myself and others can fly with a bit more piece of mind. Yes, rules and laws are getting harder so it is up to us sometimes to protect our hobby. Most people are afraid of things that dont know and drones on neighborhoods, parks and beaches are a whole new thing. We can be careful with this and polite when others seem to be annoyed, we can show them, explain to them. I think most of the times it is about communicating the sport and showing some understanding.

Happy flying!

καλησπέρα Hexagon!

can you give me a link with the turist dron pilot regulations? i saw your previous weblink, but there i see everything with greek letters. i can reading the greek letters, but i don't understand anything :)

thank you! ;)

καλησπέρα Hexagon!

can you give me a link with the turist dron pilot regulations? i saw your previous weblink, but there i see everything with greek letters. i can reading the greek letters, but i don't understand anything :)

thank you! ;)

there are not any specific rules or regulations that apply to tourists. Moreover, I did not manage to find anything written in English. Latest official legislation document can be found here fek_b_4527_drone_mykonosticker.pdf and you can use google translate to check a few things out.

I'm departing for Rome, Venice, Athens, Santorini in 2 weeks with my Mavic. Sucks cant use it to get good videos of places like colloseaum, pantheon, etc. but i did find some awesome drone videos of pantheon and other site in athens. So people are doing it.

Anyone there within next 2 weeks be interested in your posts when u get back. I'll post my experience as well.

I found this only about rome

Italy Drone Laws
  • You may not fly your drone over 230 feet
  • You may not fly your drone further than 490 feet horizontally or out of visual line of sight
  • You may not carry dangerous goods on your drone
  • You may not fly your drone over populated areas, gatherings, beaches, national parks, urban areas, infrastructures, railways, highways and industrial plants
  • You must stay at least 8km away from aerodromes
  • You must only fly your drone during daylight
  • Your drone must weigh under 25kg
  • You must keep your drone 50m away from persons/property not under control of the drone operator
  • You must carry third party insurance

I'm departing for Rome, Venice, Athens, Santorini in 2 weeks with my Mavic. Sucks cant use it to get good videos of places like colloseaum, pantheon, etc. but i did find some awesome drone videos of pantheon and other site in athens. So people are doing it.

Anyone there within next 2 weeks be interested in your posts when u get back. I'll post my experience as well.

I found this only about rome

Italy Drone Laws
  • You may not fly your drone over 230 feet
  • You may not fly your drone further than 490 feet horizontally or out of visual line of sight
  • You may not carry dangerous goods on your drone
  • You may not fly your drone over populated areas, gatherings, beaches, national parks, urban areas, infrastructures, railways, highways and industrial plants
  • You must stay at least 8km away from aerodromes
  • You must only fly your drone during daylight
  • Your drone must weigh under 25kg
  • You must keep your drone 50m away from persons/property not under control of the drone operator
  • You must carry third party insurance

Keep me posted ab Santorini...iam going there in June...want to use my Mavic so bad...

If anything i will definitely be launching from my private terrace out over the sea for good aerials

Reactions: Nasko
People who fly over the Parthenon or mount Licabetus in Athens are usually taking - off from house terraces within the area, so they are quite hard to spot. There are quite a lot of videos on YBe of people flying of archaeological places, which is banned, but most of them are not in 2017, where new law is applied. 99% of the people here are very interested to see a quad-copter flying so they will ask you without seem disturbed, just answer to them with a smile and play safe. Yesterday I was with a couple of friends biking along beaches and yacht marinas near Athens, I was filming most of the way via follow me and active track. However, a private security guard in a marina came close and asked us if we were the quad operators, I pointed my finger to myself and with a smile of a saint I asked if I was doing something wrong. He was very polite and asked me to get the quad down since most yacht owners seem disturbed by quads. I said that is not a problem, I packed the mavic right away and continued biking while saluting the guard and wishing him a good Easter vacation. No problems AT ALL. If you want to fly your mavic from your balcony in Santorini you will have no problem, as long as you keep away from other balconies and take a couple of meters away to enjoy view of the caldera. Play safe and keep distances guys and you will be fine. It would not hurt if you ask the hotel manager whats the case with quadcopters in the area, you might get useful info as well as a free meal for creating a nice video for the hotel, you never know.

Please share videos when you come back, Santorini is HEAVEN on earth...

Went to santorini last month. Stayed in fira. Take off at the hotel balcony, the manager noticed me flying a drone and came to me politely says that the mavic is a much less noise drone. So i just describe her about the mavic and she was very enthusiast with it and thats it. Fly a couple in morning and afternoon without problems. Only in oia where there are lots posters of phantom drones saying no drones alowed. So i skipped fly in oia. Overall i shoot alot of beautiful footage in fira, black beach, red beach etc.

Problem is in certain area there are a lot of dogs arround and they tend to chase & barking at the drone. Once, i spoted another mavic while im flying and the dogs are chasing it lol, so while they chasing the other mavic i land mine, no idea how the other guy land his..

I also went to rome italy only manage to shoot colloseum, fly/shoot from distance just to have short a footage for my family vacation vids. Best time to do this is on early morning when the sun just at the horizon you will get a dramatic footage and less people activity. Fyi most of the historic places in rome guarded by an army yes an army with rifles, armor trucks serious stuff not the police, so just be careful and be resposible when you fly. And make sure you keep line of sight.

So i think its alright to fly, but try not to disturb people by flying too close to them, houses or a historic monument. Just dont push it if you know what i mean. Good luck.

Crap. I'm staying in oia. Lol

Where did you launch from in rome

Yeah its a bummer, i had planned months before to launch at the "lookout oia" my opinion it is the best standpoint for sunset in oia, and i kinda have to passed it. Cause I dont want any trouble with the locals and possibly ruin my holiday.

dfd42466583959394ccb84de1d1a2f0b.jpg

In rome i had to launch at a park, couple mins walk from coloseum metro station.
Its because the army guarding the surrounding coloseum. I have no idea if this is normal or is there a special event going on?? Any italian can chime in..

If you decide to go to the park in the morning just be cautious and alert, cause you may find a group of homeless people sleeping in that area.

Hello, I'm new here. Found this forum because I recently got a Mavic for my honeymoon in Greece and heard about regulations getting stricter.

Hexagon, thank you for posting the English regulation. I found in it:

"The operators / owners / remote pilots of UAS whose flights are conducted at more than 50 m. from the operator, are required to apply for registration in the UAS special Registry or the Civil Aviation Registry of ΗCAA, or to provide the foreign registration certificate of the respective Registry service abroad. The application is submitted electronically by filling a registration form, provided by the HCAA web site."

So two things
1) maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like as long as you always fly within 50m height/distance, you don't need to register at all?
2) by "respective foreign registry", does it mean if I am registered with the FAA here in th US then I can fly 50m+?

1) maybe I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like as long as you always fly within 50m height/distance, you don't need to register at all?
2) by "respective foreign registry", does it mean if I am registered with the FAA here in th US then I can fly 50m+?

1) Seems so, but you have to be 150m away from buildings, houses and people.
2) yes, as long as you provide your registration certificate

problem is that as we speak there is no registration form in their website. I talked to them a few days ago and asked for the form again to go online so that we can all register, foreign and domestic pilots. They told me that the form is ready and will be soon available. Fingers crossed...

Reactions: Nasko
Not to rehash the discussion again thats in other threads, but I'm considering purchasing AutoPilot or Litchi before I go to Italy and Greece this week to do some nice cinematic auto-flying... Want to get some practice in this week before I depart. I read that Litchi is easier to use and great for basic waypoints.. But AutoPilot is much more comprehensive and once over learning curve is very powerful.. I'm leaning toward AutoPilot so I can have room to grow.

Have any of you used autopilot software while in Italy or Greece if so which did you prefer.

1) Seems so, but you have to be 150m away from buildings, houses and people.
2) yes, as long as you provide your registration certificate

problem is that as we speak there is no registration form in their website. I talked to them a few days ago and asked for the form again to go online so that we can all register, foreign and domestic pilots. They told me that the form is ready and will be soon available. Fingers crossed...

I'm new with mavicpilots, such great information. Thank you!
Here's my dilemma. I REALLY want to fly my Mavic this August in Greece. I will be on a 7 day Greek Isle cruise with Royal Caribbean visiting 4 Greek ports. Drones are illegal on this cruise line and will be confiscated when boarding and going through their security if found. They will release the drone to me when the boat pulls into port if I can show I have permission from the port country to fly the drone. Any suggestions out there on what papers I can show the cruise line? My drone is registered with the FAA in the U.S. and I notice Greece still doesn't have their website up so I can register my drone.

I'm new with mavicpilots, such great information. Thank you!
Here's my dilemma. I REALLY want to fly my Mavic this August in Greece. I will be on a 7 day Greek Isle cruise with Royal Caribbean visiting 4 Greek ports. Drones are illegal on this cruise line and will be confiscated when boarding and going through their security if found. They will release the drone to me when the boat pulls into port if I can show I have permission from the port country to fly the drone. Any suggestions out there on what papers I can show the cruise line? My drone is registered with the FAA in the U.S. and I notice Greece still doesn't have their website up so I can register my drone.

Don't worry just take your drone with you. I don't think you gonna have any issues at in Greece(Ports, Islands).
Some of them they don't actually know what a drone is....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98