DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just going to get an Air2s, 1st drone

mreco99

Reactions
Hi,
Im already finding loads of answers for questions I have except this...
Should be getting an air2s as a first drone (im not totally new to flying things, or remote controlling things), and want to get all the proper licences, ID's, insurance etc etc.
But, I read that, that will take time, maybe 1 to 3 months, and I dont think you can start all that BEFORE getting a drone??? not sure.
So I wondered what can you actually do with the drone when you first get it, except look at it.
By the way, im UK based.
Thanks for any advise.

Well I just got my flyer ID, passed first time, looks like they let anyone in lol

I'm fairly new to the A2S also but not drones. I had a Yuneec that I sold and bought a Mini 2 for travel. For the price, it's an amazing little (and I DO MEAN LITTLE) drone. I got the A2S as a retirement gift about a month ago. Huge difference in capabilities but I can tell you one thing. You will NOT be disappointed in having the A2S, even as a first drone. The DJI drones are much easier to fly than my previous one. Good luck with your flying and post some videos/photos when you get flying.

What a disaster, what a mess the rules are (I know its old news to most of you)
this was the best explanation I could find, I honestly dont know if its worth bothering getting into, especially as its all still up in the air (no pun intended)

Last edited:
I started with a Spark in 2019 and have only recently “graduated” to a MA2 (with no S!). I think you’ll be fine so long as you take it really slowly and have it properly set up for safety. By that I mean the settings for flight control. Clearly familiarise yourself with as much info on what does what on the controller. Early flights perhaps should be aimed at ensuring you know exactly what will happen if you push/pull this stick or that stick and bull up on Return to Home stuff and obstacle avoidance behaviour. Sorry, this is a very basic set of pointers for you but for sure don’t be put off by the “complexity” of drones, they are very pleasurable and therapeutic to fly and sure you’ll be fine. Good luck and keep us in the picture on your progress

Reactions: MS Coast
Thanks tickers, I slightly mislead you, im not at all put off by flying, ive flown model helicopters before, driven RC Nitro cars etc. Im put off by committing cash on something that might not be usable for commercial work next year.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Thanks tickers, I slightly mislead you, im not at all put off by flying, ive flown model helicopters before, driven RC Nitro cars etc. Im put off by committing cash on something that might not be usable for commercial work next year.
Got it, sorry. Good luck with your decision anyway.

So I wondered what can you actually do with the drone when you first get it, except look at it.
Get it registered, go out to an open field and fly it, practice flying it, first without taking any videos or photos, just get used to it, its flying characteristics, and how it behaves in general, especially the safety features like RTH and Auto Landing / Emergency Landing. Don't fly too far away or too high, keep visual line of sight at all times, set limit in the app. You want your height to be limited to 400ft (120m) and distance to 1650ft (500m), at least until you get used to it.
Then after you spend some batteries (about 1 or 2 is generally enough) you can try and get some videos or photos, be careful, also concentrate on the flying, don't hit anything (like I did flying sideways), and remember, the Air 2S doesn't have side sensors!!

Reactions: mreco99
I started with a Spark in 2019 and have only recently “graduated” to a MA2 (with no S!). I think you’ll be fine so long as you take it really slowly and have it properly set up for safety. By that I mean the settings for flight control. Clearly familiarise yourself with as much info on what does what on the controller. Early flights perhaps should be aimed at ensuring you know exactly what will happen if you push/pull this stick or that stick and bull up on Return to Home stuff and obstacle avoidance behaviour. Sorry, this is a very basic set of pointers for you but for sure don’t be put off by the “complexity” of drones, they are very pleasurable and therapeutic to fly and sure you’ll be fine. Good luck and keep us in the picture on your progress
dang, gotta pull the Spark out and fly it for grins. Forgot I still had it. Didn't forget about the MA1, but haven’t flown that in ages.

There's a P3 in the closet. And the hacked M1 that can take awesome pics from 5000' (or higher)... Think I'll leave that one in the EpicFlight Museum, I'm past that sort of thing at this point.

Today's Sunday leisure activity is gonna be legacy dronin', I think 🤔 😅

Gesture control worked like a champ, after I remembered it had some issues with the sun in front of the drone. You can see why from footage... Human is in silhouette, can't see hand at all if in front of body.

I'd share the video so all can see, but recent experiences here have shaken my trust, and everything is too close to show myself in that hires detail.

MA1 can still be purchased new on Amazon, with or without FMC.

Hi,
Im already finding loads of answers for questions I have except this...
Should be getting an air2s as a first drone (im not totally new to flying things, or remote controlling things), and want to get all the proper licences, ID's, insurance etc etc.
But, I read that, that will take time, maybe 1 to 3 months, and I dont think you can start all that BEFORE getting a drone??? not sure.
By the way, im UK based.
Thanks for any advise.
Hi i took and passed the A2CofC which allows me to fly in the Open Category. It is not an easy test and you must buy an online course..it is quite rightly detailed and is not a formality at all..However when you pass it you will feel confident that you know what you are doing and therefore enjoy flying much more..you will also need to pass the CAA test look up CAA test online. This is a simple but essential test to get your CAA ID..I hadn't realised that the A2CofC requires you to produce a log showing 4 hours of flying experience..which must be gained somewhere away from people and buildings. I used Coptrz Academy and they were helpful with the blizzard of questions I had..good luck, i have been flying regularly now it's warmer for the past 2 months and growing more confident all the time!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jigjjihhwohekjgh2857