DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lagging Video Feed - I Phone or I Pad - Why and the Fix

Ty Pilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I recently had a problem with my Video feed; (Mavic2 Pro/IPhone 6S Plus) and in my search on this forum, I see others with similar, but did not see what eventually I found to be the problem. If this needs to be somewhere else let me know.

MY SETUP
As mentioned I am flying a Mavic 2 Pro using standard controller and have been using a dedicated I Phone 6S Plus for over three years. This phone was restored to factory fresh and the only apps are those that pertain to my flight operations (Aloft, GO4, etc) and it is only used for the purpose of flight opps for my Mavic.

Five days ago I noticed the screen was beginning to lag a little and within minutes was nearly unusable. The Phone battery was at full charge, the internal capacity is 85% free and the only app running was GO4. Frustrated, I came here and searched and while I did see some with similar problems, I found several possible solutions but I did not find a fix. I did find that the GO4 app is extremely CPU hungry and some older devices can't keep up and in some cases, guys just move onto newer devices which; was about where I was three days ago.

But then I thought 'there has to be a reason', this setup has worked flawlessly - what changed? Well I begin to search for an answer and finally found it.

THE FIX
As it turns out, good ole' Apple has found a way to extend the time a single charges lasts in their I Phone 6S Plus (as well as some other models). Over time, Lithium batteries give less performance - we know that right? Well Apple has built into their programming a means by which older batteries will still perform, albeit at a reduced level - they throttle the CPU. Simply put once your phone battery gets to a point in it's life cycle, the phone automatically cuts the CPU capacity by some percent which; is just enough to fall below what GO4 needs to operate smoothly.

Twenty-seven bucks later I installed a new battery into my 6S Plus and it is flawless again. If you have an Apple device that at one time worked great but is now lagging, this may be the fix for you.

Good to know as several has asked

I recently had a problem with my Video feed; (Mavic2 Pro/IPhone 6S Plus) and in my search on this forum, I see others with similar, but did not see what eventually I found to be the problem. If this needs to be somewhere else let me know.

MY SETUP
As mentioned I am flying a Mavic 2 Pro using standard controller and have been using a dedicated I Phone 6S Plus for over three years. This phone was restored to factory fresh and the only apps are those that pertain to my flight operations (Aloft, GO4, etc) and it is only used for the purpose of flight opps for my Mavic.

Five days ago I noticed the screen was beginning to lag a little and within minutes was nearly unusable. The Phone battery was at full charge, the internal capacity is 85% free and the only app running was GO4. Frustrated, I came here and searched and while I did see some with similar problems, I found several possible solutions but I did not find a fix. I did find that the GO4 app is extremely CPU hungry and some older devices can't keep up and in some cases, guys just move onto newer devices which; was about where I was three days ago.

But then I thought 'there has to be a reason', this setup has worked flawlessly - what changed? Well I begin to search for an answer and finally found it.

THE FIX
As it turns out, good ole' Apple has found a way to extend the time a single charges lasts in their I Phone 6S Plus (as well as some other models). Over time, Lithium batteries give less performance - we know that right? Well Apple has built into their programming a means by which older batteries will still perform, albeit at a reduced level - they throttle the CPU. Simply put once your phone battery gets to a point in it's life cycle, the phone automatically cuts the CPU capacity by some percent which; is just enough to fall below what GO4 needs to operate smoothly.

Twenty-seven bucks later I installed a new battery into my 6S Plus and it is flawless again. If you have an Apple device that at one time worked great but is now lagging, this may be the fix for you.
Brilliant!
To further your point…

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot

MY SETUP

THE FIX

This is fascinating.

I've been seeing the same, recently worse video lag problem with my Mini-1 and -SE. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S20, but it's only a bit more than a year old. Does Samsung do this same kind of Evil thing with their phones?

My Mini-2s, using the same phone, didn't used to have the issue at all, and now I'm starting to see it occasionally.

Is there some SW toggle in the Galaxy where you can tell it to either favor battery life, or performance? The thing has way more battery life than I need in normal operation.

Thx!

@Chaosrider Not sure about Samsung doing the same but they might. I found out about this I-Phone 'problem' pouring through youtube tech videos, otherwise I would have bought a new device, because I tried everything else I could find. But for sure a new battery is cheap enough that it might be worth a try before buying a new rig. Good Luck

THE FIX
As it turns out, good ole' Apple has found a way to extend the time a single charges lasts in their I Phone 6S Plus (as well as some other models).... Simply put once your phone battery gets to a point in its life cycle, the phone automatically cuts the CPU capacity by some percent which; is just enough to fall below what GO4 needs to operate smoothly.

This fix seems very beneficial to Apple! They have have chosen to value retaining the time between charges; in our case we would choose to value the maintenance of CPU performance. I also have the iPhone 6S Plus, and it was dedicated to running my drones. The longest I could ever need it is two hours (2 drones x 3 batteries x 20mins per battery). I would prefer to have my iPhone at its brightest and most powerful for those two hours*, and use my iPhone Xs the rest of the day...

* in reality, I would usually only have one drone with me, maybe use two batteries, and maybe 12min flights. That's under half-an-hour! Let the phone be on a high power for 30mins!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas