DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pad.. Won't auto land?

I bought a flathat landing pad. I like it allot but my mavic doesn't. On come home or fly's to the pad hovers about four feet above it and says not safe to land. I can pull left stick down and it resists for a moment then lands. It centers up the pad perfectly but doesn't want to land. Anyone know of a workaround?
8979959e9396130612f02661ea3053bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I use this landing pad and I am amazed as MP usually lands within an inch or two from where it took off. I do takeoff straight up to about 35 feet before moving forward.

in the last two tests I did of RTH it missed my launch pad by a foot or two. Is this exceptable or am I doing somehting wrong. Granted my launch pads have been around 20" - 30".

I've been told that the Landing Protection option isn't present on iOS. I can't verify this, as I use Android and I do have the option available.

I have IOS running. I will try hovering 10m for a bit before landing. I'm going flying in an hour or so. 5 batteries fully charged can't wait.

OK more food for thought. It lands fine flying with dji go 4. If I use litchi it hovers till I manually land

I thought about one, but I just take off in a parking lot and place it on the intersection of 2 or more parking lot lines or some other distinction. Sidewalks next to some snow clumps or cracks, etc. Anything that gives it something to reference..

When I've tried it, it always lands back within inches of where it took off.

I do find it strange that it doesn't seem to like some of the landing pads....

I have the same problem mine won't autoland on one of those. The only work around that I know
of is a home remedy. Basically I took a piece of old carpet and cut a square for testing purposes, maybe a bit smaller than the landing pad. Works like a charm, I have 10 out of 10 landings.

View attachment 4467

Old bit of carpet, thats a good idea. I am using a canvas picture that I found under the house.

I bought a flathat landing pad. I like it allot but my mavic doesn't. On come home or fly's to the pad hovers about four feet above it and says not safe to land. I can pull left stick down and it resists for a moment then lands. It centers up the pad perfectly but doesn't want to land. Anyone know of a workaround?
8979959e9396130612f02661ea3053bb.jpg

I just turn off the landing protection. Ill never need it. I always know where its landing.

Reactions: woesch
I have had this issue a few times with and without landing pad. I just bring it close in, disable the downward sensors and grab it carefully by hand while holding the left joystick in the full down position. it fights for a couple seconds then shuts off. Actually quite easy. TImothy Sunday on Youtube has a good demo video on the technigue

Waited for satellite and home point message. Auto takeoff hovered a couple seconds then flew away.

You are relying on the "Precision Landing" feature. The manual mentions about it this on page 15:
b. Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters.

So you need to ascent to at least 10 m before flying off horizontally for that to work, and probably hover there for a few seconds.

I also have the same landing pad and usually it lands spot on. I say usually, because every once in a while, precision landing seems way off. However, that may well be my fault, in that I may have moved off before giving the Mavic enough time to visually mark the take off spot.

Hello pilots!
I have tried many landing "pads" (pieces of carpet, wooden plate, cardboard etc.) and as I found out by my observation, harder is better. Mavic scans solidness of landing surface by its ultrasonic sensors and if he detect shaking, autolanding stops. As you know, foldable landing pads are very lightweight and airflow from propellers shakes with it. I discussed this with my resselers company technician and he confirmed, that Mavic prevents from autolandings into water.
I think that surface pattern have no impact on stopping of autolanding.
FLY SAFE, LAND SAFER! Regards...

Reactions: maikm
Hello pilots!
I have tried many landing "pads" (pieces of carpet, wooden plate, cardboard etc.) and as I found out by my observation, harder is better. Mavic scans solidness of landing surface by its ultrasonic sensors and if he detect shaking, autolanding stops. As you know, foldable landing pads are very lightweight and airflow from propellers shakes with it. I discussed this with my resselers company technician and he confirmed, that Mavic prevents from autolandings into water.
I think that surface pattern have no impact on stopping of autolanding.
FLY SAFE, LAND SAFER! Regards...
Okay, I have the exact same issue and behavior with my Mavic when I am trying to do a precise landing. I have contacted DJI and they seem to think it's my landing pad. This is what they said... "Did you try to land your Mavic Pro without landing pad and how it works? however if you successfully landing your Mavic Pro without landing pad maybe the sensor of your Mavic not recognize the Landing Pad." I am adding a photo of my landing pad on the concrete in my driveway. You can actually see the shadow of the Mavic as it is hovering directly above the landing pad. I notified DJI that others are having the same exact issue, I hope to find out more soon. I follow the correct procedure for take off, I just get the message at about 10 feet that the ground is not suitable for landing. I guess I will have to use a piece of chalk, draw and X, and see if that works. If anyone has a fix for this, please let me know! By the way, the other side of this landing pad has an orange version, and that didn't work either!

Thank you!
Mike

Landing Pad.jpg

Okay, this is what DJI just emailed me about this issue...

Please try to land your Mavic Pro to flat surface without using landing pad, Mavic Pro detects if there was something suspicious on the ground that's why you received an error message to your mobile.
I guess it didn't matter if others were getting the same error, and some weren't! I will try to land directly on the ground, and see what it does then. Maybe I will use some blue painter's tape to make and X on the ground. What I DON'T get is why some folks with landing pads similar to mine work just fine, but mine doesn't? That doesn't make any sense!!!

Reactions: GRbbt1 and Ranbal
Okay, I have the exact same issue and behavior with my Mavic when I am trying to do a precise landing. I have contacted DJI and they seem to think it's my landing pad. This is what they said... "Did you try to land your Mavic Pro without landing pad and how it works? however if you successfully landing your Mavic Pro without landing pad maybe the sensor of your Mavic not recognize the Landing Pad." I am adding a photo of my landing pad on the concrete in my driveway. You can actually see the shadow of the Mavic as it is hovering directly above the landing pad. I notified DJI that others are having the same exact issue, I hope to find out more soon. I follow the correct procedure for take off, I just get the message at about 10 feet that the ground is not suitable for landing. I guess I will have to use a piece of chalk, draw and X, and see if that works. If anyone has a fix for this, please let me know! By the way, the other side of this landing pad has an orange version, and that didn't work either!

Thank you!
Mike

View attachment 10954
I have the exact same one, and the Mavic has never been able to land on either blue or orange side. I always thought this was odd as it's a "landing pad" and it actually keeps the drone from landing LOL. When I use a blanket or other object, it lands spot on. This holds true with GO4 and Litichi. Technology can be remarkably smart and stupid at the same time. Not a big deal though, since it's perfectly easy to just land it when it's hovering. At least it still finds the right spot.

Reactions: schroeder1959
I have the orange one and most of the time it lands just fine, however occasionally will balk at landing and i have to force it down which is pretty easy. Do not know why.

I made mine out of half a windscreen shield. I peg it down on all 4 corners and it has worked fine so far...

6b0bca68e5ab594630795048f4ea2eaa.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev