DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing to a new location at a long distance from home point

Thank You, the Mavic Pro is impressive.. a young 79 yr old pilot having a ball...
You're Welcome. What a great pastime hey!

Someone please verify that what I say here is correct. For a long one-way mission, landing at a far point where the battery would be depleted, I think you would need to fly to that end point, remain high to keep in contact with the controller, open the RTH option on the controller and CLICK the one that selects where the drone is currently, be sure you are over a suitable landing spot and then click the auto land or RTH, whichever works. (Confirm that this is correct, too.) As the drone lands it would lose signal but still land as that is its new RTH spot.
Here is where I am unsure. If you normally take off with the launch point, drone location, as the RTH point (as opposed to the only other option, the controller location as RTH), you must still open the option when the drone arrives at a very far distant point and RE-SELECT the drone location as the RTH point for it to be able to land there and not return to where it was launched from. Make sense? Correct? [As a sidenote here, I have learned that when you use the controller location as the RTH, and select that option, it is only good as long as you are at the place on the ground WHERE you selected that option. If you walk or drive further it will not follow you and the controller but go to THE SPOT where you selected the controller as the RTH point. Thus, the problem with boaters who do that and float elsewhere.] The main question here is this: If you fly to a distant place, do you not have to RE-SELECT the drone location as the RTH point to get it to accept where it is as the landing place when it loses signal or the battery is depleted?

boring.. this is an amazing pease of machinery and it wants to be stretched to its limits.. Like driving a Ferrari at 40km/h!
You are right. But though I have seen a lot of super cars, I've never seen one push it's limits on public roads. I suspect if you asked a Ferrari rep if it was smart to do so, he would think you should never be allowed to drive one. And If you did drive a Ferrrari at top speed, you would be breaking the law in most countries, and jeopardizing the life of everyone in your vicinity in all countries. For most mature, and self confident people, that alone would override the fact that to do so would be fun for them. The fact that it was made to do that doesn't mean that you have to do it.

BTW, they are machines, they don't give a care about being pushed to their limits. They don't have feelings. YOU want to be stretched. Flying a quad far or high only requires a patient thumb and a lack of wisdom. Not an impressive display in my world.

Someone please verify that what I say here is correct. For a long one-way mission, landing at a far point where the battery would be depleted, I think you would need to fly to that end point, remain high to keep in contact with the controller, open the RTH option on the controller and CLICK the one that selects where the drone is currently, be sure you are over a suitable landing spot and then click the auto land or RTH, whichever works. (Confirm that this is correct, too.) As the drone lands it would lose signal but still land as that is its new RTH spot.
Here is where I am unsure. If you normally take off with the launch point, drone location, as the RTH point (as opposed to the only other option, the controller location as RTH), you must still open the option when the drone arrives at a very far distant point and RE-SELECT the drone location as the RTH point for it to be able to land there and not return to where it was launched from. Make sense? Correct? [As a sidenote here, I have learned that when you use the controller location as the RTH, and select that option, it is only good as long as you are at the place on the ground WHERE you selected that option. If you walk or drive further it will not follow you and the controller but go to THE SPOT where you selected the controller as the RTH point. Thus, the problem with boaters who do that and float elsewhere.] The main question here is this: If you fly to a distant place, do you not have to RE-SELECT the drone location as the RTH point to get it to accept where it is as the landing place when it loses signal or the battery is depleted?

Thanks for your reply - still going over this...

I agree .. all these are for fun and i always manage to break and loose things all the time because i stretch their limit a bit too far just to see what the limit is!
A few days ago i flow the mavic with some light rain and 6-7 Beaufort winds over a beach just to see how it behaved with extreme conditions and it was perfect.. amazing machine!
And no i dont have 1.200 euros to spare if i break so that is why i join forums like this to get advice from other 'crazy' guys like me that like to play with hi-tech toys!
I love using litchi as it enables me to record long distance with perfectly smooth video action as no manual steering is required. and most important of all i do not have to worry about loosing connection as the return to home does not start like on dji go app, which means i can send it to amazing places where "no human has ever gone before"
So just for the fun i was wandering if i could send it to land to another place.. just for the fun..
cant argue with that.
have fun and let us see some of your videos:)

While you all are considering this, I just thought of another caveat. The drone will attempt RTH due to low battery long before you pick a distant landing spot as it knows how much battery it needs to get back to the original launch spot. Therefore, what is the step needed to keep that from happening? Constantly resetting RTH to where the drone is currently? Complicated, no??? But this is a reasonable scenario, wanting to video to a far point and then land there, drive to pick up the drone where it safely landed.

I dont see any issue with having Litchi land at a remote location, provide you are satisfied it is a safe spot to land..
It allows you to reset the home point to anywhere you like. It is not restricted to Aircraft or RC position as is the case with DJIGo. So you can easily change the home point to the remote landing site KMs away. Therefore you would not actually need signal over landing site.

"Point is would the landing sensors slow down the mavic so not to hit the ground at high speed as at that distance it is difficult to judge height."
The sensors are autonomous and will work just as well having it land 10 feet or 10km away.

I routinely have Litchi autoland at the end of an 11km route. This is not dependent on signal connection or home point which is elsewhere albeit nearby in my case.

For a one way route with Litchi,you could simply set the finish action to Land at last WPT (as I do) and move the home point to the final Wpt/ remote Landing site once underway to prevent it flying back original home point on low battery.
Ahh Yes, This is why I Love Litchi !!! DJI May have the market on drones but they fall way short with their control App.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird