DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 Las Vegas, Tour of the suburbs

All comments and critiques welcome.

Less than 4 minutes running time for the whole clip and much appreciated if you watch to the end as the vignette will come full circle.

Thanks, in advance.

Can you fly a drone in the Mt Charleston area? Beautiful area. I've bicycled it when out the for InterDrone a few years ago.

Reactions: tlswift58
All comments and critiques welcome.

Less than 4 minutes running time for the whole clip and much appreciated if you watch to the end as the vignette will come full circle.

Thanks, in advance.

Seems someone lives down around Henderson, NV. Only issue flying in Vegas is McCarran Airport and the good 5 mile radius.

That being said, some great drone ops in and around the area - Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead, Colorado River below Hoover Dam, and more.

Seems someone lives down around Henderson, NV. Only issue flying in Vegas is McCarran Airport and the good 5 mile radius.

That being said, some great drone ops in and around the area - Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire, Mt. Charleston, Lake Mead, Colorado River below Hoover Dam, and more.
Technically not allowed in some of those areas. At least there are signs posted to that fact. Also, I have received warnings from the DJI app when near the area. To somewhat skirt the issue, I have started from outside the restricted areas and simply got an aerial view.

Red Rock one of the few parks where not restricted. Never had an issue at Mt Charleston as it is quite wide open with many places to stop along the road.

is Ski Lee still open? When I lived in Vegas off an on over many years - would go up there to ski, as it was so close and and going to Bryson City, UT was a long drive up and back.
I am not a skier, so cannot help with that.

Technically not allowed in some of those areas. At least there are signs posted to that fact. Also, I have received warnings from the DJI app when near the area. To somewhat skirt the issue, I have started from outside the restricted areas and simply got an aerial view.

Red Rock one of the few parks where not restricted. Never had an issue at Mt Charleston as it is quite wide open with many places to stop along the road.

We ALL know the deal with restricted zones. Been many years since in Vegas and area and never with a drone.

I'm sure flying around Hoover Dam is a huge no-no. Yet, Willow Beach and coming up the canyon should have some access without going into the restricted zone. We used to rent a pontoon boat at Willow Beach and cruise up to the base of Hoover Dam (as far as they'd let you back in the day). Would be some awesome drone shots / video of the canyon walls.

I have same issues here in Western NC - with the Great Smoky Mountain Nat Park and even the Blue Ridge Parkway NO FLY zones. At least with the Blue Ridge, it is so narrow at many points and has parallel public roads, that you can take-off and land outside of the zone. Have gotten some nice shots of a place called Linn Cove Viaduct - that is really hard to photograph well due to limited spots to stop along the parkway and it being built / cut into the side of the mountain. A public road that parallels it is great and many drone people fly from there to get those 1 in a million shots that a land camera will never catch.

I am not a skier, so cannot help with that.

It is or was up in Lee Canyon - on the backside of Mt Charleston. Instead of taking the 1st turn-off to go up - go to the 2nd one that heads straight into Lee Canyon and the top of Charleston. It's the one you can coast down and do probably 100mph before getting to main road - straight but steep incline.

I've bicycled up 156 off 95 straight up one year, next year up 157 past Mummy Mountain to MC then the last time up 157 and going left on Harris Spring Rd to Charleston Peak. Generally it was 98 to 110 degrees F starting out just off 95 and a beautiful 70'ish at the highest elevations. Beautiful country.

Nice tour of the Western suburbs. This is where I grew up. Well, technically most of what you see in this video was desert when I was growing up but I rode my dirt bike all over this land back then.

In the shot that starts at 1:58 there is a road running down the right side of the screen. That street is called Westcliff. I grew up in the neighborhood just off the screen to the right of Westcliff, and everything you see in this shot that is to the left of Westcliff was open desert back in those days. The point where Westcliff dead-ends into the golf course (Angel Park golf course which was obviously just desert then also) represents the furthest point to the West that any civilization existed in the Valley at the time. Nowadays its another couple miles to get out of the suburbs from here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElNancio