DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas

iajetpilot

Reactions
Hi all,

I'll be out in Vegas for a few days shortly and wondered if anyone could give me some tips on where some good spots to fly from are around there. I'm thinking the strip, the dam, and anything else of interest. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi all,

I'll be out in Vegas for a few days shortly and wondered if anyone could give me some tips on where some good spots to fly from are around there. I'm thinking the strip, the dam, and anything else of interest. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Larry

I never vent to las vegas, but if I will be there in my life, I must go to this two places.

1. Lake Mead (near from vegas)
2. Death Valley National Park (140 miles from vegas. 2-2.5 hours by car)

if you don't want to stay in the city ;)

The Five Best National Parks near Las Vegas - Hopper Blog

Strip has lots of people and the big airport. It would be cool to buzz and get a video but you would be breaking rules.

I was actually thinking of getting video of the strip (skyline) from someplace off the strip. Flying it right down the strip would be nuts.

Also, according to Nevada law, you cannot fly near power plants / critical facilities (the dam), which is also banned due to Lake Mead.

Reactions: payam
Looks like maybe a flight out away from town someplace of some nice desert scenery.

I was actually thinking of getting video of the strip (skyline) from someplace off the strip. Flying it right down the strip would be nuts.

Good luck..

31a8c7b2385213b4e8e5bf566fc43680.jpg

Reactions: mstampfli
I live in Las Vegas.

Places you can't fly legally in Southern Nevada :
1) "The Strip" - it's within 5 miles of 2 airports and is a dedicated no fly zone.
2) Nellis AFB
3) Creech AFB
4) Groom Lake aka "Area 51"
5) Nevada National Security Site (formerly known as the Nevada Test Site)
6) Lake Mead - yes all of it is off limits!
7) Hoover Dam

Places you can't legally land or take off in but supposedly, you can fly in and out of.
1) Desert National Wildlife Refuge
2) Valley of Fire State Park

Places where I have not found any laws against flying drones:
1) Red Rock Canyon - very scenic and an awesome place to fly!!!
2) Mt. Charleston - up to 12,000 ft elevation with lots of snow right now and paved roads that go up to 8600 ft.
3) Gold Butte

Last edited:
"Places where I have not found any laws against flying drones:
2) Mt. Charleston - up to 12,000 ft elevation with lots of snow right now and paved roads that go up to 8600 ft.
3) Gold Butte"

Thank you very much for this...this was the kind of info I was hoping to find.

I live in Las Vegas.

Places you can't fly legally in Southern Nevada :
1) "The Strip" - it's within 5 miles of 2 airports and is a dedicated no fly zone. I
2) Nellis AFB
3) Creech AFB
4) Groom Lake aka "Area 51"
5) Nevada National Security Site (formerly known as the Nevada Test Site)
6) Lake Mead - yes all of it is off limits!
7) Hoover Dam

Places you can't legally land or take off in but supposedly, you can fly in and out of.
1) Desert National Wildlife Refuge
2) Valley of Fire State Park

Places where I have not found any laws against flying drones:
3) Gold Butte

Helpful post. Thanks.

There is probably a law against writing this entire thread. Some laws are just stupid! Carry on.

The amount of nanny state interference with drone flying is incredible. I'm starting to maybe regret my purchase. Don't fly here, don't fly there, blah blah blah. Obviously flying near airports and over the strip shouldn't be allowed but the rules seem a bit tough to navigate in terms of figuring out where you can fly. What do you all think is the best way to find out all the different state, city, county, park, federal laws restricting us? Which app is the most reliable for figuring out no fly zones etc? Is there one you can use to scout out areas ahead of time?

Sorry for the rant but it is starting to seem like I have a $1000 drone I can fly inside my house :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lobodevich