DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Last hope

Neto

Reactions
If I'm not wrong, @msinger is the drone whisperer, right?
Please @msinger, could you perform your magic and try to help me find if my drone is under water?
I have 3 files: .igc, .kml and log
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Here is the zip file of the 3 logs

Dropbox - Droneto.zip

Thank you!!

neto

Reactions: clackey
If I'm not wrong, @msinger is the drone whisperer, right?
Please @msinger, could you perform your magic and try to help me find if my drone is under water?
I have 3 files: .igc, .kml and log
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Here is the zip file of the 3 logs

Dropbox - Droneto.zip

Thank you!!

neto

I'll save @msinger the trouble. That was an outstanding flight - quite remarkable. You flew it upwind and ignored all RTH warnings until it auto landed at 10% battery, 1330 m away and around 10 m from the lake shore. So yes - it's underwater if the water levels are as shown on GE.

I see you also have a great description of this flight here:
RIP Droneto

Reactions: Simmo
I see you also have a great description of this flight here:
RIP Droneto

Interesting event. It explains the upwind battle, but it's unfortunate that the OP did not choose to fly the aircraft 400 m downwind to the shore to the west - he had plenty of battery for that - rather than 1200 m upwind to the shore to the SE.

screenshot124.jpg

In fact, @sar104, i didn't choose my heading. :)
Since I was in a small boat, I didn't trust the RTH, so I decided to bring the drone back myself.
Instead of using the map, I used the camera, and that was the WORST mistake of all, I guess.
The pin you set under 32% battery was the moment I decided to come back.
Looking at the camera I saw a wrong boat at 6 o'clock.
That's the reason of the straight line.
When I found out the mistake was too late.
So I decided to land ashore.
At 9 o'clock all I had are trees.
There was this clear green field at 5 o'clock.
I knew it was upwind, but I figured that I still have battery to get there.
The last leg, with turns and curves shows that I was trying to find a better landing spot.
I finally landed with 6% of battery left, I guess.
Since I never found the drone and that region has those plants over water, I suppose it sunk.
BTW, the satellite image is not updated to the current situation.
Today that spot is not water, but those small plants.
The reason I uploaded the logs here was to try to get the exact position of the last contact.
If I get Lat and Long I may go to the exact point.
My second hope is anything left in the logs that I missed.
As far as I remembered, when I was landing, with a pour connection, the RTH was activated again.
I canceled to be able to land, but maybe the drone flew a little more after that last position.
Anyways, I know it is a long shot.
But since I live in Brazil, and the Mavic is pretty expensive here, I just wrote you guys as a last hope.
So, although it was totally my mistake, maybe this message helped to clarify this "outstanding flight - quite remarkable" flight to make it, at least, useful to other pilots.

Thank you guys again.

I will held a small burial ceremony followed by a barbecue and you are all invited :)

Last edited:
In fact, @sar104, i didn't choose my heading. :)
Since I was in a small boat, I didn't trust the RTH, so I decided to bring the drone back myself.
Instead of using the map, I used the camera, and that was the WORST mistake of all, I guess.
The pin you set under 32% battery was the moment I decided to come back.
Looking at the camera I saw a wrong boat at 6 o'clock.
That's the reason of the straight line.
When I found out the mistake was too late.
So I decided to land ashore.
At 9 o'clock all I had are trees.
There was this clear green field at 5 o'clock.
I knew it was upwind, but I figured that I still have battery to get there.
The last leg, with turns and curves shows that I was trying to find a better landing spot.
I finally landed with 6% of battery left, I guess.
Since I never found the drone and that region has those plants over water, I suppose it sunk.
BTW, the satellite image is not updated to the current situation.
Today that spot is not water, but those small plants.
The reason I uploaded the logs here was to try to get the exact position of the last contact.
If I get Lat and Long I may go to the exact point.
My second hope is anything left in the logs that I missed.
As far as I remembered, when I was landing, with a pour connection, the RTH was activated again.
I canceled to be able to land, but maybe the drone flew a little more after that last position.
Anyways, I know it is a long shot.
But since I live in Brazil, and the Mavic is pretty expensive here, I just wrote you guys as a last hope.
So, although it was totally my mistake, maybe this message helped to clarify this "outstanding flight - quite remarkable" flight to make it, at least, useful to other pilots.

Thank you guys again.

I will held a small burial ceremony followed by a barbecue and you are all invited :)

Well it was still an unfortunate choice to continue south - downwind to the NW and you would have made it to land easily.

It was down at the last recorded location (46.731981 S, 23.74584 W).

droneto_01.png

Reactions: Simmo
Well it was still an unfortunate choice to continue south - downwind to the NW and you would have made it to land easily.

It was down at the last recorded location (46.731981 S, 23.74584 W).

View attachment 35267
Great!
Thank you!
BTW, where can I get this graphic?
Thank you again!

(oh! and that last spike on the blue line shows the last RTH)

Great!
Thank you!
BTW, where can I get this graphic?
Thank you again!

(oh! and that last spike on the blue line shows the last RTH)

The last spike was probably its landing maneuver. The graphic is custom generated in data analysis software - you can download the png image above though.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro