DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching by hand from car sunroof

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi,
I know there will be risk of metal interference, but does anyone have an opinion on how big that risk is?
For me, flying is always about discretion - its my top priority. I hate when people come over to talk mid flight, or stare or whatever.
A launch from a hand out of the sunroof, followed by in car control would be much more discreet. I could land next to the car and pick up and be gone very quickly.
Any thoughts?

I would say a bad idea, the reason being if you will probably lose sight of it during the launch and I find launching to be one of the times when LOS is most needed. There is little time to react to something going wrong and if you do not have LOS then................
Aside from that how do you propose to land?

Reactions: HFXAussie
Thanks,
I accept those challenges, but if it was in a large carpark, risks would be negligible. As I said, I would land next to the car.
I'm just more asking about magnetic interference.

you most likely would get some compass bias if you were just holding the drone just through the sunroof opening ,i find it strange why you are so fearful of being seen by others, i always fly with a bright yellow vest that states i am flying a drone i find people then know what i am doing and leave me alone ,my motto is, i fly overtly ,not covertly, and in all the years i have been flying it has stood me in good stead,people are more fearful of the unknown

Reactions: scro and Malcx
I guess i just want to keep myself to myself. Probably a product of having a career where I have thousands of people in my face every month, all day long. Each to their own.
I'll just give it a try and see if it reports anything just before take off. I presume if i get no interference warnings then I can give it a go, with caution.

thats fair enough ,we are all entitled to our own opinions,if you feel ok with what your proposing then carry on ,happy flying

Reactions: Dbez1 and WooZie
Hi,
I know there will be risk of metal interference, but does anyone have an opinion on how big that risk is?
For me, flying is always about discretion - its my top priority. I hate when people come over to talk mid flight, or stare or whatever.
A launch from a hand out of the sunroof, followed by in car control would be much more discreet. I could land next to the car and pick up and be gone very quickly.
Any thoughts?
You can also easily launch the Mini 2 from your outstretched hand outside the driver's window. That should avoid all metal. Hand catching the same way, or through the open sunroof shouldn't be a problem either. Never getting out of the car makes discreet flying and a quick getaway! Control from inside the car up to a mile away out the front window or vertically above through the sunroof shouldn't be a problem either with OcuSync 2.0, if you just want a quick 360 pano from above.

I've launched from the aluminum tool box in the bed of my pickup right up against the steel cab of the truck with no problems with the compass. I've launched and landed in the bed of my pickup with no problems other than the optical sensors which were disagreeing with my decision. I was able to make it happen but it was a struggle.

I would like the option to disable the front and rear sensors just on launch and landing so I could do this regularly. Pull up, launch from truck bed, fly sitting in drivers seat, land in truck bed and pull away.

I would say a bad idea, the reason being if you will probably lose sight of it during the launch and I find launching to be one of the times when LOS is most needed. There is little time to react to something going wrong and if you do not have LOS then................
Aside from that how do you propose to land?
I flew by launching through my sunroof a few weeks ago. Landed it by sticking my hand through it and catching it.

As to why I chose that route, sidewalk was(mostly) national park land, street was not.

I've launched a Spark out through a targa top and landed it back in the car without issues. A little bit more clearance than a sunroof.

I hand launch and land all the time, no issues. But you want to disable the "landing protection" to avoid sketchy landings and that's not a setting that's available in the app for the mm2 so 3rd party tools are needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven