DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning DaVinci Resolve 17

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've just begun the learning journey of DaVinci Resolve 17. It is daunting no doubt. I have the beginners guide, both paperback and on Kindle and have been watching various videos. Would anyone like to share any hints about effective methods of learning (note I didn't mention mastering) Resolve 17? I can see from my limited success so far this is going to take a serious investment of time to become reasonably fluent with it. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: leadguide
One day at a time!

You will not need to master the software to make beautiful videos. Generally speaking, "Less is more. If you are creating for YouTube, most people will not watch more than 2-3 minutes anyway.

I would also add that simple moves when flying will make the editing easier. You can always add pan and zoon later in the final production.

This is the guy that I like on YouTube. Simple explanations in "bite-sized" amounts.

Last edited:
I've just begun the learning journey of DaVinci Resolve 17. It is daunting no doubt. I have the beginners guide, both paperback and on Kindle and have been watching various videos. Would anyone like to share any hints about effective methods of learning (note I didn't mention mastering) Resolve 17? I can see from my limited success so far this is going to take a serious investment of time to become reasonably fluent with it. Thanks in advance!
The nice thing about resolve is if you have a question just Google it. There’s so much information out there that there’s an answer to virtually every question.

I tried Davinci 17 three times (downloading & then deleting it), but I guess I just don’t have the patience that others have. I know it’s an awesome editing suite, unbelievably free, but it’s learning curve was too much for me.

Being an Apple man in all my devices FCPX was naturally the way I went, and to be honest I think it’s the best fit (for me) and a great piece of software. Sure it’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for, with a learning curve as steep as you want t make it, with the editing features it has.

Reactions: GrayHornet
I have a few recommendations. YouTube is loaded with tutorials. I highly recommend Casey Faris, he has tons of how to videos. Also go to the Black Magic website, a lot of educational material on there. I love to sit back and watch video but Black Magic has a 3625 page book on using Davinci Resolve. I'm not saying read the whole book but the first few sections are recommended if just starting. And the book is laid out so you can easily find directions to anything you want easily by clicking directory links to that topic. I'm just getting started in Davinci myself. It is so user friendly. Good luck

Black Magic Design also has its own tutorials on its website plus certification courses for different areas such as color grading, editing, Fusion if you really want to get serious about it.

Reactions: Bryan L
Last edited:
As already mentioned, I found Blackmagic Design tutorials and videos by Casey Ferris extremely helpful. What helped me the most, was downloading the Blackmagic project files, for each of their training videos, and working/trying the techniques along with the videos.

Big fan of Faris and MrAlexTech. And while his style is much different, I learn a lot from JasonYadlovski and his two-minute vids.

Reactions: SupermaNZ
I tried Davinci 17 three times (downloading & then deleting it), but I guess I just don’t have the patience that others have. I know it’s an awesome editing suite, unbelievably free, but it’s learning curve was too much for me.

Being an Apple man in all my devices FCPX was naturally the way I went, and to be honest I think it’s the best fit (for me) and a great piece of software. Sure it’s not cheap, but you get what you pay for, with a learning curve as steep as you want t make it, with the editing features it has.
Likewise, I did the same! In addition, I was limited by my laptop hardware. I switched to Premier Pro and it works well for my needs.

Reactions: Squidinc
I am new to editing too and was scared of the learning curve then I heard about DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor and took a look at a few Youtube videos of it and was amazed at how simple the whole editing process can be with it and quick. They sell for about $395 but I found one on ebay for $250 and saw some previous sales that went for under $200.

If you are like me and editing is daunting, then definitely take a look at this editing deck to help ease the learning curve and speed up the process for you.

Reactions: Crow Horse
Will the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor work well with the free version? If so, this looks to be very interesting. Thanks!

Will the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor work well with the free version? If so, this looks to be very interesting. Thanks!
Yes of course, it will work with any version of Da Vinci, from what I understand. I'm using it with the free version of 17 and it seem there is a new Version 18 out now.

Thanks! I'm going to look into it. The YouTube videos that feature it are quite impressive. I'm going to search Ebay to find the best deal.

Resolve can be pretty daunting and they don't use common terms. What in the world is lift and gain? Why don't you say blacks and whites? Odd things (to me) like that.

But it's a powerful piece of software. I think you just have to spend some time wrapping your head around things. Like the way it uses nodes. I guess if you're familiar with other tools like Photoshop they're akin to non-destructive adjustment layers. A powerful but somewhat mind tingling feature.

Resolve can be pretty daunting and they don't use common terms. What in the world is lift and gain? Why don't you say blacks and whites? Odd things (to me) like that.

But it's a powerful piece of software. I think you just have to spend some time wrapping your head around things. Like the way it uses nodes. I guess if you're familiar with other tools like Photoshop they're akin to non-destructive adjustment layers. A powerful but somewhat mind tingling feature.
Their terminology is based on long standing practice in the video and movie industries, which historically didn't cross over with photography. But you can find controls with more photo oriented names and action if you look.

I just noticed Udemy is having one of their frequent sales, and is offering Louay Zambarkji's Resolve course for $17.99 (through April 29). I took his After Effects course and I'm several chapters in on the Resolve course, and it's a good course. https://www.udemy.com/course/davinci-resolve-15-course/.

Udemy does this periodically, so if you miss this one you can keep checking back, they do it every few weeks.

I just noticed Udemy is having one of their frequent sales, and is offering Louay Zambarkji's Resolve course for $17.99 (through April 29). I took his After Effects course and I'm several chapters in on the Resolve course, and it's a good course. https://www.udemy.com/course/davinci-resolve-15-course/.

Udemy does this periodically, so if you miss this one you can keep checking back, they do it every few weeks.
Thanks! I just enrolled. I learn best in a structured environment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu