DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning to fly mini 2 indoors?

Luckily it was unharmed, but I couldn't regain control before the inevitable crash - I would be interested to hear more experienced pilots opinion.

When I received my Spark in 2017, I did a test flight inside the house and had an Oh Shi Shoot moment when the Spark got too close to the ceiling.

Before I knew it, the prop wash sucked it up to the ceiling and it was skipping around like an air hockey puck.

It was both terrifying and funny at the same time. ??

Thank goodness I had the prop guards on at the time and no harm was done to anything. :)

A similar situation probably happened to you, only it was the was in a hallway.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I own a 1st generation Mini and have practice flown it indoors a few times.
I am amazed at how controllable it is in tight quarters. I just nudge it around yawing, turning, forward and backwards and landing it on our ottoman etc.
I need practice on aiming the camera better as the wheel moves opposite of what I expect sometimes.
Also, forward stick to gain altitude is backwards from my 'fixed wing' experience and I need practice there also.
Zero crashes so far, 'knock on wood'....
BTW....My dog HATES it flying over him....the wind really bothers him....So I try to avoid that....
Reading your post, I figured out why I consistently get the elevation stick backwards. Its the controller thats backwards!

Reactions: Steel63
Hey there,.
Since it winter and a little colder out then I like it to be, I've flown my Mini 2 in my house multiple times. I first bought the 360 propeller guard then started my challenges of flying inside using just the camera.
I'll fly from my kitchen into the living room and have even navigated up my stairs down the hall and into the master bedroom and back. Slow steady movements and it is possible to fly with it out of site. I have never lost a signal or had any crashes...

Greg

Hey there,.
Since it winter and a little colder out then I like it to be, I've flown my Mini 2 in my house multiple times. I first bought the 360 propeller guard then started my challenges of flying inside using just the camera.
I'll fly from my kitchen into the living room and have even navigated up my stairs down the hall and into the master bedroom and back. Slow steady movements and it is possible to fly with it out of site. I have never lost a signal or had any crashes...

Greg

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Gtc2093.

Great job taking it slow and navigating your house.

Practice, practice, practice. ?

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reading your post, I figured out why I consistently get the elevation stick backwards. Its the controller thats backwards!
Actually not really.
Left up/down stick is throttle, not pitch. You increase/decrease prop RPM to go up/down.

Right stick up/down is pitch, with the resulting action being forward/backward.

No need to actually switch GPS off, if it’s not there or weak the VPS is there anyway, but as you say, VPS needs light and a contrast pattern for the cameras to look at, from the manual “the downward vps cannot work properly over surfaces that do not have sufficient light or a clear pattern”
GPS can cut in/out which can cause erratic horizontal stability. That is, problem happens when GPS cuts in, possibly with a bit more inaccurate than outdoors, rather than cutting out. Best that if GPS is unstable, just have it off and rely 100% on VPS.

There's also the issue of being in an NFZ, which doesn't legally apply if indoors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive