DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lesson learned - wind/sport mode

ronk

Reactions
I almost lost my drone flying out to sea. I saw a boat out in sea during sunset and wanted to capture the boat with the sunset in the background. I reached my destination quickly and was able to capture the shot I wanted.

The issue started happening when I was trying to bring my mavic back. It was having difficulty coming back. I switched to sport mode and still no luck. After an anxious 8 minutes the mavic finally landed.

Looking at the flight logs, the mavic was battling 27mph winds at an altitude of 300 feet on the return. The wind on ground was not bad. Lesson learned to pay attention to wind speeds!

The second lesson learned was that I was never in sport mode. For sport mode to work, Multiple Flight Modes has to be enabled. Duh!

Any reason you flew back at 300ft and not 30ft mate?

And yes, good call on multiple flight modes :D

Reactions: ronk
Any reason you flew back at 300ft and not 30ft mate?

And yes, good call on multiple flight modes :D

Yes sir. The fly back altitude was also a lesson learned. Rookie mistake.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Well done...hopefully other will learn from this experience. It's not so much the water, its the wind which is the issue and many can't comprehend that. Apart from the fact that if it dies, its not retrievable.

Reactions: locoman and ronk
Any time you are over water and fighting to come in like that. You can drop altitude and it will be significantly less windy. When you are in an area with trees and buildings it’s better to be higher so you don’t lose the signal. I’ll slowly drop down as I come in closer when in an area with trees. I’m still new as well. Just something I’ve learned.

Reactions: McDony and ronk
If you are going to fly any distance, fly with the wind in your face. Or into the wind! The tail wind will help you on your way back home!

Reactions: ronk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast