DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's see how many FAA (and other) rules Ken broke

To me, picking something up and walking (or flying) around with it is transporting it. There need not be any particular intended destination or purpose.
Ya, that was a bit of a stretch. Even if just picking it up and putting it straight down again, at any point in between it was transported to a greater height.

I'm just really curious why they came up with that wording, "not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire." They must have had a very specific issue in mind.

You can transport another person's property for fun, just not for compensation or hire. Or, you can be hired and accept compensation to transport your own property.

What were they really aiming for here?

Reactions: BroomRider
May have missed this in the comments, but is he 107? Seems to me a monetized Youtube channel would require it..

Ya, that was a bit of a stretch. Even if just picking it up and putting it straight down again, at any point in between it was transported to a greater height.

I'm just really curious why they came up with that wording, "not transporting another person's property for compensation or hire." They must have had a very specific issue in mind.

You can transport another person's property for fun, just not for compensation or hire. Or, you can be hired and accept compensation to transport your own property.

What were they really aiming for here?
Delivery drones?

May have missed this in the comments, but is he 107? Seems to me a monetized Youtube channel would require it..
You only need to have a part 107 license when you fly your drone commercially in furtherance of a business. Has nothing to do with a monetized tik tok channel.

"If you have any intention at all of monetizing your YouTube videos, then you absolutely must get a Part 107 drone license. This is hardly even a gray area. By running ads on your videos earning money through subscriptions or memberships, your videos will definitely fall within the umbrella of commercial use."

I don't see how a lighter drone would make any significant difference w.r.t. lacerations from spinning props.
Well, they are lighter props. A Phantom might have cut deeper.

I'm not willing to do the experiment for science, though. The Mini was painful enough, and took weeks to heal from.

Reactions: Dbez1
Well, they are lighter props. A Phantom might have cut deeper.

I'm not willing to do the experiment for science, though. The Mini was painful enough, and took weeks to heal from.

Revise: I don't see how the weight of the prop blades makes any difference as to the danger of lacerations when they're spinning at thousands of RPM.

Ever had a paper cut?

The risk is chiefly a factor of the force the edge of the blade contacts the skin, the sharpness of the edge contacting, and the structural strength of the material.

Water can cut steel.

Revise: I don't see how the weight of the prop blades makes any difference as to the danger of lacerations when they're spinning at thousands of RPM.

Ever had a paper cut?

The risk is chiefly a factor of the force the edge of the blade contacts the skin, the sharpness of the edge contacting, and the structural strength of the material.

Water can cut steel.
I was thinking that a heavier drone would have more powerful motors, hence more force.

I was thinking that a heavier drone would have more powerful motors, hence more force.

Biggest difference IMO is between fixed and movable propellers.... A phantom propeller is going to hurt more than a mavic propeller. The mavic is going to fold up to a degree, as opposed to the phantom which is solid... The phantom motors are going to be bigger as well, therefore more inertia.... Both are going to hurt like hell, but the phantom is going to be worse IMO

I'm not an attorney. Don't take this as legal advice. But the rules don't seem unclear to me.

§ 107.145 Operations over moving vehicles
With the DJI Mavic and Mini drones, you won't meet the "unless" conditions without modifying the drone. With the <249g Minis, you could add a prop guard so that the props can't lacerate skin, but that will take it over 249g. Catch 22.

So you can't fly over moving vehicles that have people in them. I don't see any exceptions listed there.

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings
Again, the Mavic and Minis won't meet the "unless" condition without modification. So you can't fly over people. I don't see any exceptions listed there, other than people that are part of your operation.

You can request waivers for those rules for a specific flight. Please let me know if you try that and manage to get one!

§ 107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft
OK, this one is slightly more vague. But I wouldn't want to be the one to argue to the FAA that my flight in a downtown area was in a sparsely populated area.

And now, just for fun, even though you can't do these things with your GPS-enabled, obstacle-avoiding, flying cinema cameras,I believe you could possibly legally fly over people and moving vehicles with this. Go figure.
https://www.amazon.com/Cheerwing-Beginners-Upgraded-Quadcopter-Batteries/
You can fly over moving vehicles if you aren't performing a sustained flight; no notice to people in vehicles is required as long as it's not sustained. The reference to sustained flight is in the text of the law.

Flying over people is allowed as well under Cat 1. The keyword again is 'sustained.' And as long as it's not sustained you don't need RemoteID because Cat1 (and maybe the others too) is all about sustained flight. If the drone is below 250g then the only real issue is the part about the props lacerating skin. Will a Mavin/Mini's props lacerate *all* the way through the skin to require emergency attention? From what I've read via google searches, no. That's the way I interpret all of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki