Just think about it:

Victim in the water surrounded by ice.
Drone overhead with a rope.
Drone drops rope
Rope lands in the water next to the victim
Rope is in the water with no one to pull the rope
Oh buy the way, victim is trying to survive, graps the rope and pulls
Oooopps, there goes the Mavic and the victim

Once the drone drops the rope, there is no way for the drone to be pulled into the water. Before the drone drops the rope, there is no way for a victim to grab the rope.

Obviously, there would be a team of people to pull on the other end of the rope.

This will be especially handy when the conditions are such that the ice is too weak to support a rescuer making it arduous and long for a rescuer to break all of the ice from shore to the victim.

They sell rope that weighs 1 pound for 300 feet of length with a 1,600 pound breaking strength...and it floats.

Once the drone drops the rope, there is no way for the drone to be pulled into the water. Before the drone drops the rope, there is no way for a victim to grab the rope.

Obviously, there would be a team of people to pull on the other end of the rope.

This will be especially handy when the conditions are such that the ice is too weak to support a rescuer making it arduous and long for a rescuer to break all of the ice from shore to the victim.

They sell rope that weighs 1 pound for 300 feet of length with a 1,600 pound breaking strength...and it floats.
Waterproof Multi-Rotor Systems Plenty of juice in this waterproof drone,Bullfrog. I built one. and you can get a FPV camera that is also waterproof.

Reactions: shoemaker
Have fun..... rest my case :)
Your case makes no sense...Have you ever had someone fall through the ice? Typically if they are close enough you throw them a rope...This set up allows you to get a rope to a person at a distance where throwing accurately would be impossible. Yep, I’m so sure he is going to tow a rope out, drop it, and just watch. If it’s a rescue situation you better believe he and or other people will be on the other end of that rope. Not quite sure how the Mavic is going to end up in the water, drop the rope, hit the RTH button, toss the remote aside, and pull the other end of the rope. Mavic flies home on its own. Rescuers stay off the ice and safe. Not really a difficult concept to understand.

Tru tru. Have you tried the mule rope? We call it mule rope, not sure if that's the brand name lol. It's almost more of a webbing than rope, but it's really light and has a huge weight limit.

I think it's a great idea. Run a few practice tests and you may save a life. What's the harm?

I agree, from an avid ice fisherman, who has seen plenty of people go through the ice, I would love to see this concept realized. If you need any 3d printed parts to make life easier, let me know and we can figure something out. Don’t let people with reading comprehension issues brings you down.

I agree, from an avid ice fisherman, who has seen plenty of people go through the ice, I would love to see this concept realized. If you need any 3d printed parts to make life easier, let me know and we can figure something out. Don’t let people with reading comprehension issues brings you down.

I'm in charge of the drone program for our fire department. I also own a mavic.

If I can get the concept perfected, it just becomes another tool in our toolbox.

I'm doing these tests with my personal drone, but once I prove the concept the department will likely purchase the expensive professional drop mechanism and each of our pilots will practice for these scenarios.

It could also be used to drop a life ring to someone caught in the surf.

Not sure if an actual life ring would be too heavy, but shoot, some sort of light weight inflatable. Looks like some of those automatic inflatable life vests only weigh 1.52 pounds before being inflated. That is within the carrying limit for the Mavic.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Sorry, but it is a crapshoot.
As a first responder (and yes I live near the ice 5 months+ a year and yes I have helped folks on the ice), the idea is to KISS (keep it super simple) We do NOT have Mavic Pros flying around with ropes for rescue just waiting for an "ice victim'. That's just plainly ridiculous. Secondly, we need to call 911 for assistance. Next is to have folks on shore with the appropriate tools. Next, we need to calm the victim down. Next, we need to provide assistance with ropes held by a rescuer (not a drone) and throw them or move them to the victim and so on... Anyone, falling through the ice had a way to get to the breaking point. If it is at the shore of half way into the lake or river. That's our path. At -15C or 5F, I will nor try to get a Mavic pro with a rope launched, I will use the rope, hold it and get it to the victim being secured. Simple as that!

That's why I rest my CASE

Reactions: drones4us
I'm in charge of the drone program for our fire department. I also own a mavic.

If I can get the concept perfected, it just becomes another tool in our toolbox.

I'm doing these tests with my personal drone, but once I prove the concept the department will likely purchase the expensive professional drop mechanism and each of our pilots will practice for these scenarios.

You better have a drone that is ready for extreme weather and emergency situations and certified for your purpose. The Mavic pro is NOT! You don't get your fire truck from anybody, or your hoses without certifications. No fire department will use a "private drone". Think about it. Only because you think about using a "drone" for "surveillance" purposes (using a Mavic Pro is for that purpose is inappropriate anyway) gives you no permission to use it for official rescue operations. I am amazed that you would even consider this!

Reactions: drones4us
Your case makes no sense...Have you ever had someone fall through the ice? Typically if they are close enough you throw them a rope...This set up allows you to get a rope to a person at a distance where throwing accurately would be impossible. Yep, I’m so sure he is going to tow a rope out, drop it, and just watch. If it’s a rescue situation you better believe he and or other people will be on the other end of that rope. Not quite sure how the Mavic is going to end up in the water, drop the rope, hit the RTH button, toss the remote aside, and pull the other end of the rope. Mavic flies home on its own. Rescuers stay off the ice and safe. Not really a difficult concept to understand.

Your response makes no sense at all. The rescuer needs to have the rope in their hands to pull! At the moment a rope is close to a victim, the victim will try to catch it and pull! Ever been in such a panic situation? I have! I hope you never will.

Your response makes no sense at all. The rescuer needs to have the rope in their hands to pull! At the moment a rope is close to a victim, the victim will try to catch it and pull! Ever been in such a panic situation? I have! I hope you never will.

Well clearly you have a reading comprehension problem or you didn’t read the post. Either way, you aren’t worth arguing with as clearly you know It all. Adios.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet