DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifting with diy drop mechanism

I’ll go ahead and leave this right here

Their lifesaving potential isn't just speculation either. In a recent study of news reports, DJI, one of the global leaders in the drone market, concluded that drones were responsible for helping save one life per week.

There are even specific instances where drones have legitimately saved lives. In 2013, an injured driver stranded in a snowy area of Saskatchewan, Canada, was located by Canadian police using a Draganflyer X4-ES drone with an infrared camera after a helicopter search turned up nothing. In a separate case in 2015, the Auburn (Maine) Fire Department used a DJI Phantom 3 to drop down life vests to an 18-year-old man stranded in the middle of the river.

"There's already tons of proof points. This is not theory," UAV expert Mike Winn told Digital Trends in an interview. "Drones have already helped save lots of people by doing things like providing dropping ropes to people so they can secure a way across. They can provide proper resources during flood situations where there's lots of water but no fresh water. Drones can drop things like fresh water and food."

I have no problem with the concept. "Professional" drones will be used for all kinds of cool stuff in the future. However, the Magic pro is a toy ( although expensive enough) and not designed, certified or intended for emergency rescue operations. Only because you can " hack" it for that purpose does not make it right and the first time it fails for that purpose, it will make you reconsider, hopefully the victim is still alive.

Reactions: drones4us
And there is this
Dramatic video footage from the drone shows the pair surrounded by quick-moving water and only the younger boy had a life jacket on.

As the rescue team set up to go in the water, Auburn Fire Chief Frank Roma flew his personal drone – with a rope line attached – to the teen in the water. He was then able to pull a blue life jacket to himself on the rock.

“The drone just happened to be in my vehicle and it was one of those times where the application fit the moment. Our first priority was getting the older boy a life jacket in case he slipped into the water,” Roma said.
———————-

How about this

The drone was used in two separate incidents for two separate reasons, underscoring the versatility of the emerging technology in search-and-rescue scenarios. In an early morning rescue, Garret Bryl, a volunteer drone pilot who works with the Joshua Fire Department in Texas, used his drone to spot a pickup truck that had been swept off the road and into a forest during a flash flood.

Later that day, he used the drone to fly a rope to two people who were stranded in their mobile home. The rope was then used to pass life preservers to the couple, who were later rescued by a helicopter.
————————
Plenty more where those came from. But you are right. A fire department would NEVER use an uncertified personal drone to attempt to rescue anyone.

I'm in charge of the drone program for our fire department. I also own a mavic.

If I can get the concept perfected, it just becomes another tool in our toolbox.

I'm doing these tests with my personal drone, but once I prove the concept the department will likely purchase the expensive professional drop mechanism and each of our pilots will practice for these scenarios.

May I ask for a link to the pro drop mechanism? Great project btw!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I want to be abe to fly a rescue rope to a victim who has fallen through unsafe ice.

This is much more practical with. Larger drone, but mavic can carry a few hundred feet of rope
I think this is a brilliant idea and no doubt there will be other rescues made possible. If you lost the drone still worth it to save a life!

Reactions: Rnl
May I ask for a link to the pro drop mechanism? Great project btw!

Ganett sells the drop mechanism that you should purchase if you are looking to purchase one. However, I put this together for a little more than $5 and an hour of my time.

It will get more refined as I find more time to work on it.

I think this is a great idea. If distance is too great for the weight of the rope why not start with a brightly colored fishing line to the person in need where they then can pull the rescue rope. Loss of a $1000 drone is a good trade for a life saved. Definitely cheaper than a rescue helicopter that may be an hour away. Again great idea!

You better have a drone that is ready for extreme weather and emergency situations and certified for your purpose. The Mavic pro is NOT! You don't get your fire truck from anybody, or your hoses without certifications. No fire department will use a "private drone". Think about it. Only because you think about using a "drone" for "surveillance" purposes (using a Mavic Pro is for that purpose is inappropriate anyway) gives you no permission to use it for official rescue operations. I am amazed that you would even consider this!
"Official rescue operations". REALLY? Next time I see someone in need of immediate assistance, I'll just tell them that I'm not an "Official Rescue Person". :eek:

Reactions: OzoneVibe
"Official rescue operations". REALLY? Next time I see someone in need of immediate assistance, I'll just tell them that I'm not an "Official Rescue Person". :eek:
Thanks for your "quality" comment. We are talking official fire department equipment here. The same guys that would use certified "Jaws of Life" to get you out of your car and not a "handy man special set of pliers" only because it is "immediate assistance". Drones are already being used for emergency operations there is nothing new about it. It's the quality of a professional tool vs a 'rigged" consumer product. Have a great and safe 2018.

Reactions: drones4us
I think it is a promising idea. If the weight of the rope were a problem, you could pull out a smaller one tied to the larger one. The problem might be that the person in the ice couldn't pull it all in??

Yes, totally agree. With the right kind of tools and equipment fit for purpose it surely makes sense. There is a reason why commercial drones are used for lifting "stuff". For example, the DJI Agras MG-1 has 10kg/22lbs payload capacity.

Reactions: Lapeer20m
The matrice 210 is rated for more than 5 pounds of payload and the matrice 600 is reliable with 20 pounds. There are videos of m600 carrying 25 pounds.

The m210 has the advantage of being rated for both cold weather and rain.

The m-600 seems difficult to try to keep all the batteries warm in cold weather.

the m200 (210) is the obvious choice if money is no object.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones