DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi mission close call

This is my first Litchi mission since my Phantom 3 Pro.I always use mission hub (PC version) to plan the mission and Google maps for elevations.Never had any problems.Today I started the mission and everything was going smooth until I saw my mavic heading to a tree.I hit pause and the mavic stopped just a couple of meters from disaster.I checked again the elevations and obviously they where wrong!
Conclusion:NEVER trust Google Maps for elevations,always double-check the terrain with your own eyes!

Skip near the end for the tree of terror!!!
Read today that Google terrain elevations are only accurate to +-30 meters. Also it averages physical structures into the area so more developed locations are less accurate. It's more than just accounting for trees and shrubbery.

I would not necessarily blame google maps, I have noticed many times my mavics can be off by more than 50 or 60 feet, especially after long flights gaining and losing altitude.

I have seen both of my Mavics claiming they are at 30 or 40 feet high when returning from a flight when actually they were only a few feet off the ground. I have noticed this with both DJI go and using Litchi.

I think it's a barometric pressure issue but that is only my guess. I would not be surprised at all, if you attempted that same flight again it would clear the trees with ease. Now I am not saying to do that I am just saying I would not be surprised.

Cool video and nice save.

So maybe we should plan our elevations 50 meters higher than we would have.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki