DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi waypoints and forward sensors

Marko5584

Reactions
What happens if the MP is doing a Litchi waypoint mission and there is an obstacle (such as a bird) that comes close to the MP? Do the forward sensors work in that case? if so, what does this interruption do to the Litchi mission?

Occasionally I have had curious birds come close to my Phantom 3 standard in this situation and my P3 would return. it doesn't have the sensors.

Marko

A bird will probably zip past too quickly for the sensors to detect it. I came too close to a tree top in a Litchi mission and the Mavic rose up and continued as my settings directed.

A bird will probably zip past too quickly for the sensors to detect it. I came too close to a tree top in a Litchi mission and the Mavic rose up and continued as my settings directed.

Ok so the OA not only worked then, but rather than stopping, it ascended and the continued? Did it move back to the proper altitude for the next way points?

Sorry for the questions. I am also curious.

Ok so the OA not only worked then, but rather than stopping, it ascended and the continued? Did it move back to the proper altitude for the next way points?

Sorry for the questions. I am also curious.
It was flying sideways at the time, panning across the front of a house, when the top of a small tree was detected in font of it. Even though it was not going to hit the tree because it was flying sideways not forward, it stopped, rose up until the tree was no longer in front of it, then continued the mission as planned.

If your bird's OA detects something, it will react to it, and after a successful avoidance maneuver, it continues on with the mission.

There are YouTube videos of this occurring, and mine did it on at least one occasion. Again, if it detects a bird, limb, hill, etc, it will continue on after finding a way past the obstacle if possible.

Here is an example of a Litchi waypoint mission with the vision sensors detecting an obstacle and stopping the drone. It was not really an obstacle but the Sun right in front of the drone seen as an obstacle. Just to prove that the osbtacle detection system works even during a waypoint Litchi mission. I eventually managed to complete the mission by simply disabling the obstacle avoidance system.

OK. So in this case with the sunlight being detected as an obstacle, how will the MP be affected if it is doing a Litchi waypoint mission? Does it go around the so-called 'obstacle'? What would it do? Would it continue the mission if the path were toward the light?

OK. So in this case with the sunlight being detected as an obstacle, how will the MP be affected if it is doing a Litchi waypoint mission? Does it go around the so-called 'obstacle'? What would it do? Would it continue the mission if the path were toward the light?
Personally, I only started seeing posts of sun glare being a problem for OA when the Mavic Pro came out. It may be a problem for some other DJI models, but I've never seen posts in reference to Phantoms. It has been a while so I can't remember details on posts about Mavic Pro's OA being stopped by sun glare. I wouldn't doubt the bird would attempt to maneuver until the glare(object) was no longer detected and continue on its mission or auto land due to a drained battery after not being able to maneuver past the detected object.

In my case the detection of obstacle because of the Sun was erratic, the word OBSTACLE was really kind of blinking on my radio controller so as you can see on the video the drone stopped and then started again and stopped and started again etc. Eventually I stopped the mission and made an RTH which is what you see at the end of the video. Obviously since it was not a real obstacle it was difficult to pass over the Sun.

It is not unusual for the Mavic to stop and start again because of the sun especially when close to the horizon. The effect is greater when you add the reflected sun over water. When moving forward the Mavic is slanted downward, detects the sun as an obstacle, tilts back to stop which changes the amount of sun detected allowing it to proceed which repeats the cycle.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xapiccone