DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long story of my lost Mavic in the Mountains

Wow... I'm glad I (and most other thoughtful people) don't share your cynical view of their fellow humans. You're obviously too used to the 140 character maximum you've lived with. Because someone actually has the ability to tell a story in a literate manner and actually has the initiative to document an incident with photos DOES NOT constitute fraud.

Reactions: knsaber and MurMan
Congrats on retrieval .. dedication does indeed payoff. Here’s something I find useful as I had a similar experience with my Mavic (but got it back home). That experience lead me to exploring options on current wind / flying conditions .. which lead me to this

UAV Forecast

I fly with my iPhone 8plus so I use the iOS version but I believe they offer an android version as well.
The app is quite handy as in settings you can set the “wind altitude” to see current wind conditions at different altitudes.
UAV Forcast has helped me many time since installing it on my phone. It’s now part of my pre-flight checklist.

Good flying :)

Bongo

Reactions: knsaber
Yes seriously. This guy is driving traffic to his sight...with a completely curated and scripted story. It’s pretty obvious this was done just for clicks.

Seriously!?!?!?
See this is exactly what happens when leadership fails a society. The manipulation, executed on all of us as a society, by our “so called leaders” has tainted our view of humanity. Cry’s of “fake news” have destroyed the fabric of our country.

No one trusts anyone!

Its even filtered down to a forum dedicated to helping their fellow drone pilots.
We’re living in SAD times my friends. We should have no concern of a “foreign power” bringing us down. We are being torn apart from the inside ... death from 1000 little cuts.

OP, do you have plans on writing drone crash & recovery books? They'll be bestsellers. You write really well, it was an engaging read.

Chapter 13. How I retrieved my Mavic from a sewage plant using a purpose-built submarine :D

johnny_english_3.jpg

I am late to the party but loved the adventure you wrote. And I find it totally credible. Congratulations on your tenacity to accomplish the retrieval; you came up with more ideas than I could have mustered!

Reactions: knsaber and BigAl07
OP, do you have plans on writing drone crash & recovery books? They'll be bestsellers. You write really well, it was an engaging read.

Chapter 13. How I retrieved my Mavic from a sewage plant using a purpose-built submarine :D

johnny_english_3.jpg

Don’t worry I’m sure I will have more adventures with my Mavic in the near future, however I don’t know how much more my wife would put up with it!

mavic-054-1000x667.jpg

The Story of the Lost Mavic | Tony Yang

I learned a lot of lessons during this adventure, made sure I went home after and studied more on the limits and settings of the Mavic.
I'm curious to know if you imagined, even just for a second, to cut down that #@~ tree?

Thank for the great narration lol, crash became novel :)

thanks for sharing this (true) story. you mentioned the weather and time frame it was exposed to the elements while in the tree. is there evidence of any water damage? won’t corrosion (internal) take time to impact the mavic? as much as i suspect it may, i heard a similar story of a smaller drone that spent a long time up in a tree, in the rain, and it too eventually was recovered unharmed.

I'm curious to know if you imagined, even just for a second, to cut down that #@~ tree?

Thank for the great narration lol, crash became novel :)

I had many thoughts of renting a chainsaw, but this was a State Park, plus the life of a large tree is worth more than my drone :)

Reactions: Bergumbira
thanks for sharing this (true) story. you mentioned the weather and time frame it was exposed to the elements while in the tree. is there evidence of any water damage? won’t corrosion (internal) take time to impact the mavic? as much as i suspect it may, i heard a similar story of a smaller drone that spent a long time up in a tree, in the rain, and it too eventually was recovered unharmed.

The only internal damage I know of is a broken internal fan. I never opened it up yet because the screws have tamper proof glue I believe. Other than that, the drone has been flying well with no issues. It’s winter so I’m not going to fix the fan yet and save my Refresh for a real crash.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman