DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic 3 Pro in Bodega Bay

skymazing

Reactions
On Dec 30, a couple of days ago, I unfortunately lost a mavic 3 pro along the coast off Bodega Bay north of north Salmon Creek beach. Probably the pressure differences confused the barometric altimeter or the water confused the ultrasonic sensors (although I was much higher than what I thought was the highest wave) based on DJI analysis. Its probably nestled in the rocks along side the beach if the waves haven't taken it away. While the drone is likely inoperable, the photo's in the SD card are very valuable to me personally. Would anyone know of a resource that can help retrieve this? I can of course compensate. I can provide the exact GPS coordinates (based on results from the DJI analysis) privately to someone who can help.

Thanks much for your help!

Regards

Reactions: RodPad
Welcome to the forum!

Number #1 is don't sync your mobile device to DJI yet.
I really don't know what models, you should wait tell later.

A member should clarify that really quick .

Rod ..

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Number #1 is don't sync your mobile device to DJI yet.
I really don't what models, you should not.

A member should clarify that really quick .

Rod ..
Rod, Thank you! Glad to be part of the community. I didn't understand your comment, what do you mean by not sync mobile device?

Check this link out.

Until a member that knows about the sync than I.

Rod ..

Check this link out.

Until a member that knows about the sync than I.

Rod ..
Thanks much, Is this for assessment of what happened? DJI has already made the determination that it wasnt my fault and are shipping a replacement since it was brand new. Now my goal is to get help to recover the drone.

I will stay in the back ground for a while, I don't ever want to tell somebody wrong info.

Rod ..

Last edited:
Probably the pressure differences confused the barometric altimeter or the water confused the ultrasonic sensors (although I was much higher than what I thought was the highest wave) based on DJI analysis.
Neither of those are likely explanations.

DJI isn't very good at providing explanations of incidents.
If you are interested to get more info on the incident and its cause that could help avoid a similar incident in future, posting your flight data would be a good idea.

If you are wanting to deal with DJI, it would be to your advantage to have some understanding of what went wrong and the knowledge is useful to all Phantom Pilots to prevent similar occurrences.
Your app has a "black box" data recorder that can often explain what happened.
If you want to learn from the experience and be able to avoid similar occurrences:

There are a couple of options ...

1. Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
or
2. Just post the .txt file here
or
3. If you use Airdata, you can view the flight data on Airdata and post a link for the Airdata report

If you are using one of the controllers with an integrayed screen, the txt files are to be found here:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

Asking for logs serve
Rod, Thank you! Glad to be part of the community. I didn't understand your comment, what do you mean by not sync mobile device?
the process of syncing deletes one set of flight logs from the screen device, these are the DATs.
Their loss may not be a complete waste, some drone encrypt these DAT's I cant remember for certain if hte Mavic 3 is one of those drones.
The txt flightlogs are the ones that you can upload to Phantomhelp.
this for assessment of what happened?
partially, a second opinion ever hurts and the one's here are free lol. But in certain circumstsances the logs can narrow the search area.

Have you looked at the satellite map view of that flight? If you didn’t lose gps connection, it’s most likely it’s sitting there at the last location shown.

On Dec 30, a couple of days ago, I unfortunately lost a mavic 3 pro along the coast off Bodega Bay north of north Salmon Creek beach. Probably the pressure differences confused the barometric altimeter or the water confused the ultrasonic sensors (although I was much higher than what I thought was the highest wave) based on DJI analysis. Its probably nestled in the rocks along side the beach if the waves haven't taken it away. While the drone is likely inoperable, the photo's in the SD card are very valuable to me personally. Would anyone know of a resource that can help retrieve this? I can of course compensate. I can provide the exact GPS coordinates (based on results from the DJI analysis) privately to someone who can help.

Thanks much for your help!

Regards
If the photo & video weren't in a SD card and were in the on board card on the logic board of the drone! Consider them touts! Kaput!But if you used an SD Card in the slot to record that remove the card and let it dry. There is a chance it might work, plug it in a laptop an see.

If the photo & video weren't in a SD card and were in the on board card on the logic board of the drone! Consider them touts! Kaput!But if you used an SD Card in the slot to record that remove the card and let it dry. There is a chance it might work, plug it in a laptop a see.
SD card needs to be closed out onboard the drone to function. If it didn’t, maybe it can be done in another drone? Someone here should know.

The photos would be on the SD card, not in internal storage. I need a way to retrieve the SD card. Is there anyone who knows folks in the Bodega Bay area who would be comfortable with retrieving this. Its likely stuck close to the beach near the shallow rocks. Perhaps exposed during low tide. I have the exact GPS coordinates that i can provide that person. I live in the bay area 2 hours away - I can try to do this but I am not too experienced with the ocean :)

Happy to provide a reward for whoever can help retrieve and a lot of appreciation! :)

If the photo & video weren't in a SD card and were in the on board card on the logic board of the drone! Consider them touts! Kaput!But if you used an SD Card in the slot to record that remove the card and let it dry. There is a chance it might work, plug it in a laptop an see.
RIP M3Pro good night now! I feel for you. Get your bird back from DJI, you did purchase DJI Care refresh, did you?

The photos would be on the SD card, not in internal storage. I need a way to retrieve the SD card. Is there anyone who knows folks in the Bodega Bay area who would be comfortable with retrieving this. Its likely stuck close to the beach near the shallow rocks. Perhaps exposed during low tide. I have the exact GPS coordinates that i can provide that person. I live in the bay area 2 hours away - I can try to do this but I am not too experienced with the ocean :)

Happy to provide a reward for whoever can help retrieve and a lot of appreciation! :)
Airfare from Florida..lol. Hope someone closer. Better yet, DJI gave you the end of flight gps coordinates. Enter them in Googe maps on your phone, look there. If it’s in the water, don’t bother.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1