DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Help!! I am terrified!

We are just about on the same page but while you came up with 1000ft I calculated it to be about 1150ft. I also looked at the mountain ranges and figured it would drift further to the right from the straight line path, especially during decent when it would have as long way down and tons of wind.

Personally I think if he had gotten to either location and the Mavic still had power he would have gotten a signal, but at this point finding it visually is going to require a whole bunch of luck.

Rob
Indeed. And with that I'm buying myself a Trackimo.

Well considering I fly with my hands on the control and rarely ever use the IFM, I didn't think I needed one. I always return well before the power is "just enough". But having a tracker now and then losing it sounds like a better reality than losing it, and then buying one. :p
I got my self a Marco Polo and it makes me feel a lot better when I am flying in the distance.

Reactions: Robbyg
I got my self a Marco Polo and it makes me feel a lot better when I am flying in the distance.

I'm oscillating between the Marco Polo (expensive but no fees) and Trackimo (cheaper but recurring fees and account maintenance).

Have you done a range test with the Marco Polo? In deep weeds and woods?

Edited: Ah, screw it! I just ordered a Trackimo. CAD$158 with one year's subscription included.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyberpower678
I'd like to know too, before I buy. I prefer to buy quality over price.

I think the Marco Polo has the key advantages of being independent from cell networks in order to locate the asset. So if you're well off the beaten track where there's no cell coverage then it's the obvious choice.

I decided to go Trackimo. That should cover 99.9% of my flying and even after 5 years it will be less expensive than the Marco Polo. Oops - at $5.00 month after one year, that math doesn't work. I guess I'll cancel that and re-think.

Last edited:
Reactions: temptation
Hello All,
I lost my Mavic after 12 minutes of using it, everything was going smoothly, I started getting strong wind signals, I was flying over a farm with little interference, I got a lost signal initial then it cameback and I immediately hit the return button and suddenly it lost signal for good, while the controller kept beeping return home.. I got in my car and ran to the point it had last GPS signal and it wasnt there. I spent approx. 2 hours looking for it. Can anyone please help me with this. I live in Nicaragua & I had just brought that drone about a week ago.I added a link to the flight log.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I converted the data to a readable format and took a quick look. The main issue with this flight was the compass was extremely off. I would pretty much say it was never calibrated, or, it was not calibrated properly. Based on the flight data this aircraft was flying just above 1,000ft or 310m.

While at that altitude the aircraft was fighting strong wind. It had a flight pitch of -22. And a roll pitch of 13 degrees. Also when in RTH at those altitudes and strong wind the aircraft only flies 5-6mph. I have no idea where to say the aircraft was going due to it being so confused on direction. The last record of data said it was flying North East....when it was actually flying North West.

Reactions: ghedgepath
158CAD still seems pretty expensive IMO. I can see the reasons to pay more for the MarcoPolo if you have the money because it's "out of band" and doesn't require cell service, however it is quite bulky what with having to take the Marco Polo transceiver with you.

For a cellphone network based solution I will be using an RF-V16 which are pretty cheap, pair that with a pay-as-you-go sim card with non expiring credit, and a 3D printed mount to attach it to the aircraft and you're looking at around 80CAD equivalent with only very occasional cheap topups of the sim card needed, if at all. Plus, all you need to locate the drone then is your phone - you call the RF-V16, it texts back coordinates, it also sounds a ringer to assist in finding it.

I think the Marco Polo has the key advantages of being independent from cell networks in order to locate the asset. So if you're well off the beaten track where there's no cell coverage then it's the obvious choice.

I decided to go Trackimo. That should cover 99.9% of my flying and even after 5 years it will be less expensive than the Marco Polo.
So how does the MP relay the GPS data back to the device?

It doesn't, these locator devices either have their own GPS like a trackimo or rf-v16, or they are a radio transmitter like a Marco Polo where you locate it by finding where the signal is coming from rather than using gps
I was referring to the Marco Polo, not the Mavic Pro. Sorry. I meant how does the Marco Polo refer the GPS data back to the user is not through cell towers?

I converted the data to a readable format and took a quick look. The main issue with this flight was the compass was extremely off. I would pretty much say it was never calibrated, or, it was not calibrated properly.

If I properly understood one of the OP's earlier comments, the Mavic may have been launched from a rooftop. If there was a lot of metal around, and a calibration was performed up there prior to takeoff, that could account for the poor compass readings.

@bvogel Did you do a compass calibration on a rooftop?

If I properly understood one of the OP's earlier comments, the Mavic may have been launched from a rooftop. If there was a lot of metal around, and a calibration was performed up there prior to takeoff, that could account for the poor compass readings.

@bvogel Did you do a compass calibration on a rooftop?
No,

I launch it from the ground, I get on the rooftop for better visibility and for the antenna to avoid interference.

158CAD still seems pretty expensive IMO. I can see the reasons to pay more for the MarcoPolo if you have the money because it's "out of band" and doesn't require cell service, however it is quite bulky what with having to take the Marco Polo transceiver with you.

For a cellphone network based solution I will be using an RF-V16 which are pretty cheap, pair that with a pay-as-you-go sim card with non expiring credit, and a 3D printed mount to attach it to the aircraft and you're looking at around 80CAD equivalent with only very occasional cheap topups of the sim card needed, if at all. Plus, all you need to locate the drone then is your phone - you call the RF-V16, it texts back coordinates, it also sounds a ringer to assist in finding it.

I just realized that after one year, the Trackimo SIM card will be $5.00 per month, so I'll be cancelling that option and looking at the Marco Polo again as well as your option above.

Bit off topic (sorry I can't help recovering this drone) but another vote for a tracker for future.

I use the RF-V16 is only 27g but it takes a SIM card. T-Mobile sells a spare SIM for $25. After that you need a phone plan for your SIM. T-Mobile has been handing out free lines like crazy for US residents recently. I picked up 2 free lines on Black Friday and another last Tuesday (it was the Tmobile Tuesday deal). I've got 5 lines for $80/Month now and I'm running out of spare phones to put them into. Another option for a free line - sign up for Tmobile's "Digits" beta. They will give you a cloned SIM of your main number that you can use in your mobile device, watch, spare phone or Tracker.

The only issue with the RF-V16 is that I think it might have messed up my GPS. I mounted mine to my battery with velcro and the very next flight my quad kept entering ATTI. I was able to fly it back and land manually. I'm going to try mounting it on the side next and see what happens.

I tested the Marco Polo in a few areas.

1) The battery life on the Tx was about 14 days. Which was better than the 10 days they advertise. My batteries are only on the third charge so I guess that figure will drop with time.

2) Distance in a wooded area with scattered buildings and uneven terrain blockages was a bit over 1/2 mile to maybe 3/4 mile.

3) Open line of sight was certainly about 2 miles.

4) The direction arrow is very accurate. It got me within a few feet of the Tx. I just had to look around to visually see it.

Overall I am very happy with it. I attached mine with the Velcro strap to the back of the Mavic and it has never shifted or given me the feeling that it might come off. If it does come off during an impact and tumble through tree branches I dont see that as a problem because the two items should end up being close together.

Rob

I tested the Marco Polo in a few areas.

1) The battery life on the Tx was about 14 days. Which was better than the 10 days they advertise. My batteries are only on the third charge so I guess that figure will drop with time.

2) Distance in a wooded area with scattered buildings and uneven terrain blockages was a bit over 1/2 mile to maybe 3/4 mile.

3) Open line of sight was certainly about 2 miles.

4) The direction arrow is very accurate. It got me within a few feet of the Tx. I just had to look around to visually see it.

Overall I am very happy with it. I attached mine with the Velcro strap to the back of the Mavic and it has never shifted or given me the feeling that it might come off. If it does come off during an impact and tumble through tree branches I dont see that as a problem because the two items should end up being close together.

Rob

Thanks - nice to know the real numbers. If the drone goes down in the woods I should easily get within 500 m w/o help. The MarPo should carry the rest easily enough.

It's in contention again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13