DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low solar angle and obstacle avoidance conflict at winter solstice.

halifax

Reactions
Hi Friends,
Just posting this for the record. I was flying the Mavic Pro on December 21, 2017 at 11:30AM EST in NW Connecticut and running an automated waypoint mission at 350' AGL in a forested setting. 12/21 was the winter solstice, with the lowest daytime solar altitude occurring at 11:27 AM EST. The mission flew east and north, and once it turned to the south and met the sun head on, the controller started vibrating and reporting Obstacle Avoidance. The machine essentially would not move and I could not regain control by flipping from WP to FPV mode. After a few minutes, I turned off the transmitter to trigger RTH and she came back home. I did the usual web research when I returned home and found that the forward obstacle cams often get confused with low solar angles at sunset or sunrise. Well, it seems to be the case when flying with low solar angles during the day at the winter solstice and surely at higher latitudes as well. Again, just posting this in case anyone else had similar trouble or in case someone has ideas/thoughts on this. My solution is to run a zig-zag pattern when facing the low-angle sun.

Just switch into sports mode or turn off the front sensors

Just switch into sports mode or turn off the front sensors

Can the sensors be turned off in a WP mission? I went into setup and the option was not available, nor was it available in FPV mode (though I am not sure it was successfully going into FPV mode).
Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf