DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lume Cube for Mavic Pro

I need to go down a mine-shaft-like lava formed, 20ft diameter pit crater. If I MacGyver'd the Lume Cubes to the forward prop arm will the Mavic be able to carry them? Any balance issues?

J

2 Lume cubes is 200 g. The MP is 750 g.

The MP is slightly nose heavy, but also the angles of the props have the front motors doing double the power output of the rear (in hover at least). So you might not have a lot of power margin with cubes on.

I'd lay a strap over the battery and hang them at a level just below the front arms. You'll probably have to extend the landing gear too for clearance. Be careful of sensor blockage - if they are blocked, then disable the associated modes.

Never a good idea to add weight far from the CoG.

So get those mounts mentioned above.

Last edited:
When I say "cold" I mean very white (not natural) as compared to "warm" more yellow like the sun.

I was hopping there is an option in the app for this...

I see they offer diffusers but does that helps with that or only diffuse the light?

I'm really on the edge of buying it... just can't decide between 1 vs 2 units...

Throw on a gel.

It doesn't mount directly to the battery. Here are some pictures. I flew it around tonight for about 5 minutes. Very stable. Very impressed. I'll fly it for long distance in the next couple days but I'm very impressed with the mount and if you want to mount your Lume Cubes to your Mavic this is the place to buy it.

Cool. At least no CoG issues. I'd avoid speed with those.

I agree, it is not a good idea on Mavic to offset the COG by any significant amount. Any additional weight should be as close to the COG as possible for stability.

Okay, ready ro fly. I have my Lume Cubes mounted on a makeshift bracket attached to the wrap around ImpConcepts adapter. I am also using the Freewell prop guards and landing gear. I did a simple manual take off and landing with no issues - the winds were too high to go further.

Next week (I hope) it goes down the lava vent. I do not know, but guess, most of the radio signal comes off the bottom of the Mavic and I will be 'looking down' on it as it desends. Will I get enough bounce and scatter to stay in contact? It's all a guess.

The pit crater is about 20ft wide at the top and shouldn't vary too much going down. A rock-and-string measurement put the bottom - or ledge, at 85ft. What's down there? Probably just goat and sheep bones; we will see. Wish me luck.

(photos were quick grabs in the wind)

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 216
Okay, ready ro fly. I have my Lume Cubes mounted on a makeshift bracket attached to the wrap around ImpConcepts adapter. I am also using the Freewell prop guards and landing gear. I did a simple manual take off and landing with no issues - the winds were too high to go further.

Next week (I hope) it goes down the lava vent. I do not know, but guess, most of the radio signal comes off the bottom of the Mavic and I will be 'looking down' on it as it desends. Will I get enough bounce and scatter to stay in contact? It's all a guess.

The pit crater is about 20ft wide at the top and shouldn't vary too much going down. A rock-and-string measurement put the bottom - or ledge, at 85ft. What's down there? Probably just goat and sheep bones; we will see. Wish me luck.

(photos were quick grabs in the wind)
You will be fine. Once you get about 40 feet from the bottom those Lume Cubes will light it up. I promise you. Send us the video on what you find!

If you had let me know I could have made that downward facing plate for you out of plastic, it would b strong enough. The holes could be integrated into the main adapter also. You would just need to cut the screws to size.

If you had let me know I could have made that downward facing plate for you out of plastic, it would b strong enough. The holes could be integrated into the main adapter also. You would just need to cut the screws to size.

Thank you for the offer. I do worry the aluminum might interfere with the signal to the radio. Your bracket fits the Mavic perfectly!

I did mount a single Cube from the GoPro mount you gave me. The light hung below the gear extension so I would have to carry a take off / landing board with a hole to allow the light to hang thru. The Lume Cubes are so bright one would probably work.

I work the next five days so can't reach the lava tube until after. Quite a trek. Thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d