DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3P RFID disabled w/ 249gr battery?

Let's say DJI implements this switch.

They already did. It's called flying with the 249g battery. I can switch RID off on my Mini 4 Pro by using the lighter battery. I can switch it on by using the heavier battery.

So, I can have a Mini 4 Pro that is registered with the FAA because I fly it with the heavy battery. Yet, this registered drone can be flown with the lighter battery with RID off.

The difference between this and a software switch boils down to UI.

They already did. It's called flying with the 249g battery. I can switch RID off on my Mini 4 Pro by using the lighter battery. I can switch it on by using the heavier battery.

So, I can have a Mini 4 Pro that is registered with the FAA because I fly it with the heavy battery. Yet, this registered drone can be flown with the lighter battery with RID off.

The difference between this and a software switch boils down to UI.
It is true that no one knows for sure if DJI is getting FAA approval for their implementation of RID. If what they are doing today is not compliance then I guess it doesn't matter if what they do next (add a manual switch for the pilot to turn ON/OFF remote ID which is different from the software doing it because of fixed parameters) is FAA approved or not. From what I read, the FAA uses the word "tamper" and software doing hard checks and making decisions based on teh regulations is a little bit different than the pilot making choices based on other reasons. In my mind, there's a reason why the FAA lists compliance based on drone serial number and not based solely on drone model number. but you are right, if the FAA doesn't really care, why should DJI? But don't place the blame if the FAA pulls a rescind.

I went back and reviewed the key language in the regulations, §89.501:
(c) Except for unmanned aircraft designed and produced to be standard remote identification unmanned aircraft, this subpart does not apply to the design or production of:​
(3) Unmanned aircraft that weigh 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft.​

Note the bolded italics above. The reg, as written, arguably has some ambiguity.

On the one hand, the first clause strictly interpreted, would seem to imply that any drone, regardless of size and weight, must broadcast RID if they have it built in.

The second highlighted clause seems to imply that if a drone weighs less than 0.55lb AT TAKEOFF it is exempt from RID broadcast. This also seems to be the way the industry is Interpreting it.

Add to this the fact that sub 0.55lb drones are not required to be registered with the FAA elsewhere in the regs, combined with the FAA seeming to ignore this ambiguity leads me to strongly conclude that standard remote identification aircraft are not required to broadcast RID if, at takeoff, they are under 0.55lb.

In an actual legal hearing, the construction of section (c) would generally defer to para (3) as clarifying detail for the section.

All that said, pilots need a way to enable RID when flying with the lighter battery and other attachments. I predict we'll see this switch in the next version of Fly.

I know that my mini 3 pro broadcasts with either battery. Shows up on drone scanner app with either battery installed. I'm okay with that, since I am part 107 certified.

That's correct... The battery RID "switch" is only implemented on the Mini 3 and the Mini 4 Pro.

DJI hasn't shared why it's not on the Mini 3P, but I suspect some engineering reason. Pure speculation, but with all the additional functionality in the Pro, perhaps there isn't room in the NVM to add this code to the firmware.

Only DJI can explain it.

That's correct... The battery RID "switch" is only implemented on the Mini 3 and the Mini 4 Pro.

DJI hasn't shared why it's not on the Mini 3P, but I suspect some engineering reason. Pure speculation, but with all the additional functionality in the Pro, perhaps there isn't room in the NVM to add this code to the firmware.

Only DJI can explain it.
I think finally they decided to invoke the Pro in "Pro" as in Mini 3 for recreational and Mini 3 Pro mainly for commercial.