DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mac Users - Video Editing

You can find a list of commonly used video editors here.

Final Cut Pro X. FYI D-LOG color corrects very well :)

Yeah, I was thinking of going this route... but it's a lot of money. I have a late 2014 Mac and it only has 500GB of storage. I have 200gb from my phone backup (lots of pictures and video) so I was thinking about upgrading before dropping that much money on a video editor. The new one's are insanely priced once you max it out, 2TB of storage, Final cut and Audio software. $5500!!

Yeah, I was thinking of going this route... but it's a lot of money. I have a late 2014 Mac and it only has 500GB of storage. I have 200gb from my phone backup (lots of pictures and video) so I was thinking about upgrading before dropping that much money on a video editor. The new one's are insanely priced once you max it out, 2TB of storage, Final cut and Audio software. $5500!!

Yup, definitely not an inexpensive setup. I have a Mac from 2012 on a 256gb SSD so I know what you mean!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've used Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and Final Cut Pro X. All work well and have their pros/cons, but my go-to editor is FCPX, mainly because it performs better on a Mac, and is the one I've used longer than the other two.

When you mentioned "upgrading", were you talking about upgrading your Mac? I'm still using a 2012 MBPr 15".

I've used Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and Final Cut Pro X. All work well and have their pros/cons, but my go-to editor is FCPX, mainly because it performs better on a Mac, and is the one I've used longer than the other two.

When you mentioned "upgrading", were you talking about upgrading your Mac? I'm still using a 2012 MBPr 15".

Yeah, upgrading the computer. Nothing wrong with mine but I like the idea of 2 TB of storage. I hoarder when it comes to video and pictures. I have every photo since about 2010 on my phone, plus wedding albums, albums of family pictures, hobby photos... It's bad. lol

Add to that drone and phone 4k footage and even 1 TB can be consumed with every day usage.

Yeah, upgrading the computer. Nothing wrong with mine but I like the idea of 2 TB of storage. I hoarder when it comes to video and pictures. I have every photo since about 2010 on my phone, plus wedding albums, albums of family pictures, hobby photos... It's bad. lol

Add to that drone and phone 4k footage and even 1 TB can be consumed with every day usage.

If you're upgrading your Mac mainly because of storage, then just use external drives (But if money is no object...then you can upgrade your entire system approx. every 1-2 years).

Reactions: Bigdz and Kilrah
I'm still editing with FCP X on my 2011 iMac. I've done a few 4K projects and it handles them well while editing (rendering does take its time though). External drives work well for me since the 500GB internal drive is too small by today's standards.

The last three Macs I bought all came from Craigslist and were less than a year old. They were about 50% off retail price. People buy expensive computers then need money for whatever reason so they sell them. I'm typing this ons a $2,200 Macbook Pro I bought for $1,100 and it was 11 months old. Your other option is using an external drive with a thunderbolt enclosure to increase storage.

The last three Macs I bought all came from Craigslist and were less than a year old. They were about 50% off retail price. People buy expensive computers then need money for whatever reason so they sell them. I'm typing this ons a $2,200 Macbook Pro I bought for $1,100 and it was 11 months old. Your other option is using an external drive with a thunderbolt enclosure to increase storage.

I use this same principle. Mostly from eBay though so that I have a few more teeth in he purchase in case something isn't right. My idea behind this was that I could refresh my laptop every 2 years or so for less than $300-400 given the difference between selling mine and buying a lightly used one. This in turn would actually give almost the latest technology and actually costing me less in the long run.

However, the used market only had 1tb. While external hard drives are an option... I won't always have the media at my finger tips which I like the idea of... well unless I carry an external hard drive with me lol

Dr. Duct Mossberg...ctsvowners.com???? I def recognize that screen name. Enjoying your Mavic? You got out of the V game, right?

Yes Sir. Same person. I'd hate to see a number of how many forums i'm in. lol

Yes sir. After the third one, called it quits. I've been lurking on there as always but I don't see my self getting another one. I love them but now with a kid I went to an SUV and couldnt be happier with the practicality. It's a 650hp SUV at that ;-).

Love the Mavic. I've probably got in 10 hours of fly time over the weekend. My wife thinks it's cool but Im sure at this point she's starting to not like it. lol

I'm still editing with FCP X on my 2011 iMac. I've done a few 4K projects and it handles them well while editing (rendering does take its time though). External drives work well for me since the 500GB internal drive is too small by today's standards.
I am looking at an extensively upgraded 2011 iMac. I am new to Mac but I don’t think it will run Final Cut Pro. What do you use?

I use iMovie. I have Final Cut Pro X but I rarely use it because there's rarely a feature or effect I need that iMovie doesn't provide.
[27" iMac Late 2015, 4GHz i7 processor, 16GB memory, 3TB internal HD, 4TB USB 3.0 external HD. Running MacOS 11.4 (Big Sur)]

Reactions: Retired13374
I am looking at an extensively upgraded 2011 iMac. I am new to Mac but I don’t think it will run Final Cut Pro. What do you use?
Unless you're really committed to the iMac bit, a Mac Mini running the M1 chip is probably going to have significantly better performance than any 2011 iMac.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan