DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maine - Some nutjob

Bogus... just to sell advertising.

I don't think the news report is bogus, in the sense that it sounds like the event really happened. However, the sheer stupidity of the RP (and LE if they didn't figure out what was happening) is just staggering. And the lack of critical thinking by the reporter is also disappointing.

If I am driving north at nite at 55mph and look up the north star follows me.... if a mp2 with light on is 200ft up stationary at 55 it will look like its following. The woods between gorham to standish are far too dense considered "sticks" or the woods.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Surely this has to be a joke. That's Venus, which right now is particularly bright, low in the south-west, around sunset.

Ha, remember THIS post ?

I live in Portland, ME about 15 miles from the supposed drone incident. When I heard about it, I, like many of you thought this is pretty silly. Unfortunately, the local TV stations and the local newspaper have been having a great time reporting on it. I don't think the police took it very seriously. The LEO on TV looked like he was trying to suppress a laugh when they asked him about it. But the newspaper has been pointing out that our state doesn't have any drone privacy laws, so I'm sure we can expect some new regulations in the near future. Don't want drones following you around in your car !

Reactions: pelagic_one
I live in Portland, ME about 15 miles from the supposed drone incident. When I heard about it, I, like many of you thought this is pretty silly. Unfortunately, the local TV stations and the local newspaper have been having a great time reporting on it. I don't think the police took it very seriously. The LEO on TV looked like he was trying to suppress a laugh when they asked him about it. But the newspaper has been pointing out that our state doesn't have any drone privacy laws, so I'm sure we can expect some new regulations in the near future. Don't want drones following you around in your car !

This is something all manner of modern life is getting inundated with, so called fake news.
It could well be some with an agenda using it to get what they want.
It probably started in a political arena.
How to deal with that when you can see it's so blatantly incorrect ?
You'd feel like you were beating your head against a brick wall in a short time.

I bet there are basic privacy laws that cover drones . . . eg. most places have something along the lines of "Privacy should be respected where a person should reasonably expect privacy", eg a fenced backyard where one can't see in from the road or footpath / sidewalk.
Just about anything / anyone (with exception of children) in public, or viewable from a public domain, is open to photograph in general in most countries.

Again, most people don't care if they are filmed or photographed by literally hundreds of CCTV during the day, or have their property put on Google / other satellite imagery, street view, etc, but mention drone and look out !!

As a retired veteran (U.S.Navy - submarines), this sort of reminds me of a few times while at periscope depth, when the OOD (Officer of the Deck) sighted a light on the horizon, and gave it a contact number, and wanted the contact in the fire control system for tracking. After several minutes of tracking, with no change in bearing, and without anything on sonar to corraborate , I would ask the OOD for permission to look through periscope (had excellent eyesight back then). After seeing a single white light on the horizon, I'd offer to the OOD that it was a star, and not a contact. Keep in mind that in the middle of the ocean, at night, there is no light pollution, and you can see stars all the way to the horizon!

Ha, remember THIS post ?

Well mercifully I had forgotten it completely, until you revived it. How do these people make it to adulthood?

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
This is starting to remind me of "First Blood ", but instead of finding Rambo the Sheriff has to find the drone.

This is something all manner of modern life is getting inundated with, so called fake news.
It could well be some with an agenda using it to get what they want.
It probably started in a political arena.
How to deal with that when you can see it's so blatantly incorrect ?
You'd feel like you were beating your head against a brick wall in a short time.

I bet there are basic privacy laws that cover drones . . . eg. most places have something along the lines of "Privacy should be respected where a person should reasonably expect privacy", eg a fenced backyard where one can't see in from the road or footpath / sidewalk.
Just about anything / anyone (with exception of children) in public, or viewable from a public domain, is open to photograph in general in most countries.

Again, most people don't care if they are filmed or photographed by literally hundreds of CCTV during the day, or have their property put on Google / other satellite imagery, street view, etc, but mention drone and look out !!
its so easy to whip people up into a frenzy these days,just look at the reaction many people have with firearms and add the political motives leftists politicians have with the second amendment and demonizing firearms as a cause for all the problems in our country and that shouldn’t be a surprise when drones are being labeled as a menace

I guess all the oberprotevness of: I have to drive my kids to the bus stop stuff from the 90s didn't pay off.

Ha, remember THIS post ?

Haha, I missed that thread. Thanks for the laugh ?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The funny part about the whole thing is that even if there was a drone, it doesn't appear that any laws were broken. So why was the news reporter standing in front of the police station with a microphone while the police officer was inside calling the FAA?

Police Office: "Hello I would like to report a drone."

FAA: "What the ( Mod Removed)

It sounds like this news station is literally struggling to find news.
It’s Maine in the middle of winter, what else is there to report? Oh yeah, it’s cold, gray, and snowy and we have another 4 months of this before it even starts to look like spring.

Reactions: xspwhite and sar104
It’s Maine in the middle of winter, what else is there to report? Oh yeah, it’s cold, gray, and snowy and we have another 4 months of this before it even starts to look like spring.

Whatever else it may have been, it definitely wasn't gray and snowy that evening.

It wasn’t a drone. They were just coming back for her annual checkup.

A women here in Salem, Oregon reported that she was followed to work by a drone while it was still dark outside. The next morning she claimed it did it again. Since she only lived a few miles away I went out side the next morning and could see it was a planet. She demanded all drones be stopped from flying in Oregon. I commented to our neighborhood association, (which she had complained to,) and other members went out the next morning to see for themselves. I was right, she was mistaken, but denied that it was a planet. She said she knew it was a drone because she watched it hover out of her back window for several hours before she left for work!

WOW, just WOW. Definitely looked like a star or planet to me. Hype and paranoia, or as others said, a setup/false flag to drive public support for the new proposed FAA regs... good thing it was a little nowhere place, so this "news" will likely not get that widespread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard