DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manual Camera/Video Settings

VegasDisplays

Reactions
I'm going to start flying with manual settings for the camera and video on the M2 and was wondering if there are any good tutorials out yet for settings. I set the ISO to 100 and I can set the aperture on the fly, but the shutter speed confuses me a little when switching back and forth form camera to video. Any professional input would be appreciated. Thanks!

They say for video, as a golden rule, shutter speed has to be around twice the fps

say if you're shooting at 30 fps the shutter speed should be 1/60 etc

For photos I think it's different though and that rule doesn't apply any more

Right, so if I set it at 1/60 for video is it going to keep changing when I do my settings for camera or will they default individually?

Right, so if I set it at 1/60 for video is it going to keep changing when I do my settings for camera or will they default individually?
You’ll have to check it every time you fly by selecting manual. For photos usually around middle aperture for sharpest photos.
You might not get the slow shutter speed when filming so then you need the ND filters which slows the shutter down without affecting the colours.

If you select the manual mode (M), nothing changes automatically. You control everything as per your will. There are another two modes, (S & A) which can lock Shutter or Aperture respectively to a specific value and you can change the rest values to set the required exposure properly.

Assuming you select Shutter priority, (S) you can set it to 1/60 to follow the known rule, and then you have ISO and Aperture to play with in order to get a proper exposure. In general, ISO should be kept low (100-400) to avoid noise so keep that in mind too.

Ok, I guess the next question would be, can I have excellent results flying auto for camera and video? Are the settings going to be much different than the first Mavic Pro? Does anyone have their settings dialed in yet with M2 that they want to share???

If you select the manual mode (M), nothing changes automatically. You control everything as per your will. There are another two modes, (S & A) which can lock Shutter or Aperture respectively to a specific value and you can change the rest values to set the required exposure properly.

Assuming you select Shutter priority, (S) you can set it to 1/60 to follow the known rule, and then you have ISO and Aperture to play with in order to get a proper exposure. In general, ISO should be kept low (100-400) to avoid noise so keep that in mind too.

Great info, Thanks!!

Ok, I guess the next question would be, can I have excellent results flying auto for camera and video? Are the settings going to be much different than the first Mavic Pro? Does anyone have their settings dialed in yet with M2 that they want to share???
Haven't received mine yet, but first samples, from the members of this forum and on youtube show very positive results.

in video, at least for me, manual mode is pretty straightforward :

1) keep ISO under 200
2) Apply the golden rule for Shutter speed, so around 1/50, 1/60
3) this leave me with basically only aperture to change according to day or night light...some said sweet spot for aperture is around f5 but i still need to test all of this with my MAVIC 2 to confirm

Additionnal settings :

4) Put Manual focus and set it to infinity
5) Switch off Automatic white balance and choose accordingly

Those 5 points seems to help to achieve best results day or night ;)

Now for photos, i still keep ISO under 200 but the rest is really up to the feeling of the moment

I use to set my C1 button to center focus on Auto Focus. I'm hearing that auto focus doesn't work on the M2? I don't understand why this is. If I set manual focus infinity, will it stay focused through out the flight?

My story with focussing the M2Pro is this,

Started with AFC , the resulting videos were appalling!
Turned off AFC and just used AF, videos much better but not brilliant.
Started using MF, better still.
Now before take off I focus on a distant object with AF and then switch to MF which sets it to infinity.

Don’t know why but when in MF , touching the flower on the focussing slider sets it to infinity and touching the infinity symbol sets it the other way ??

Regarding Video settings, I use shutter priority at 1/60 and then adjust ISO and aperture to get correct exposure.

Last edited:

This last part needs clarification - if you use Shutter or Aperture priority, the drone changes the opposite parameter to the setting automatically which you do not want in most video situations. For stills photography it would be perfectly fine though. You want ISO at 100 at all times for video unless at F2.8 with no ND filter and your desired shutter speed you cannot get the correct exposure - raising ISO is an absolute last resort if image quality is a concern.

Also, never use continuous autofocus - the M2P does not have phase detect autofocus and it is horrible - most people can lock it at infinity for good results.

I'm going to start flying with manual settings for the camera and video on the M2 and was wondering if there are any good tutorials out yet for settings. I set the ISO to 100 and I can set the aperture on the fly, but the shutter speed confuses me a little when switching back and forth form camera to video. Any professional input would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are no best camera settings, it is entirely scene dependent, but there are some best practices:

- For video you are going to want to always fly in full manual mode to avoid fluctuations in exposure which can easily ruin the footage. Keep in mind the drone can only expose for one thing at a time, so try and balance the scene.

- White balance should also be locked for best results, but if it's sunny out and you leave it on Auto, you are probably OK. Best practice is still to set it manually (I.e. Sunny).

- Try to keep your shutter speed around double the frame rate (this will be 1/60 for 30fps video), but you can play with that a bit with no ill effects. For example if you're flying close to something, and especially if you are flying fast, chances are you will want a slightly higher shutter speed to avoid too much motion blur on the scene.

- Start using ND filters when the desired exposure cannot be achieved by 1/60 shutter (or whatever you decide to use), ISO100 and F4 (or whatever you determine is your acceptable minimum aperture).

- After F4, diffraction starts to ruin the image on the M2P - how soon you notice this is going to depend on how picky you are. This is a physical property of the image sensor and not a weakness of the M2P itself. The range you should target is F2.8-F4 for maximum image quality, possibly up to F5.6 if you aren't picky. Personally I would leave it at F4 and only change it in a pinch, but I am extremely picky and do not represent everyone.

- Always use ISO 100 for the cleanest image. Only raise it when the shutter speed combination along with no ND filter requires it, otherwise leave it at 100. For stills, you will probably have a greater leeway here for what is acceptable to you with regards to noise, and since long exposures on drones are virtually impossible, at some point you will need to raise it if you shoot in low light.

- Make sure you have a memory card that has a minimum sustained write speed greater than 12.5MB/s. Note this is NOT the advertised theoretical maximum instantaneous transfer speed the manufacturer puts on the packaging. Look for the "V30" or "U3" symbols on the card to guarantee the minimum sustained write speed is enough. If you do not use a fast enough card, your 4K footage will drop frames.

- Do not use continuous autofocus (AF-C). Your image will drift in/out of focus mid-video which will ruin it. Lock the focus at infinity for most situations - don't worry, the sensor is so small and the distances most drone footage is shot at will give you almost infinite depth of field. The reason AF-C is so bad on the M2P is it is contrast-detect AF and not phase detect AF. Contrast detect AF is essentially a guess and check algorithm which slowly narrows in on best focus. Phase detect autofocus allows for instructions that tell the focus elements in a lens exactly how far to move and in what direction, so you do not get any hunting if it's working properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: peros550 and Fruxen
Regarding Video settings, I use shutter priority at 1/60 and then adjust ISO and aperture to get correct exposure.

If you are using shutter priority, the drone has control over aperture, which is not good for video. You also do not want to be going above ISO100 until all other options have been ruled out if you are after best image quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc