DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 or Skydio 2, that is the question.

Brian_MavicPro

Reactions
I am a DJI drone enthusiast (i.e. I have owned FC40, P3A, Mavic, M2P and the new Mini) but the Skydio 2 is tapping me on the shoulder.

OMG! Anyone see the youtube video by Danny Mcgee titled "Skydio 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro - the future of drones"? Until this video, I was not sold but remained curious. However, I am not giving serious thought to selling the M2P in favor of the Skydio 2 after seeing that video. That video is my style of landscape videography and I can see a real advantage to dropping down in front of a waterfall while dropping through trees and brush without having to concern myself with what I am backing into. I could just keep the subject centered and pan up while flying backward and down. Wow, just incredible.

Anyone have thoughts on the Skydio 2? Anyone get their hands on one yet? I am very, very, very disappointed in Skydio's June 2020 (2nd qtr.) delivery and that is my only apprehension. I now have time to wait and see what DJI might deliver before then, but from what I hear, they wont come close to the super computing capability of the Skydio 2. Thoughts anyone? You must see that video if you enjoy filming landscape. Cheers!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I have an M2P and I have a Skydio 2 pre-ordered. I'm in the first batch, so waiting for the e-mail on ship dates. From what i see, I'll be using the M2P for general footage and pics. Use the S2 for really cool low elevation stuff where the avoidance will let me fly without worry. Also for flying inside in close quarters.

OMG! Anyone see the youtube video by Danny Mcgee titled "Skydio 2 vs Mavic 2 Pro - the future of drones"?
I did see that Brian. I too was/am leaning towards Skydio2. That video actually leaned me even closer. Then I watched it again and realized that the M2P was NOT in APAS mode. Totally unfair comparison. M2P would have done a better job had APAS been enabled. It did seem like Danny's enthusiasm was biased. I think we need to get it into the hands of pilots and not so much action sport enthusiasts . . . however, Skydio2's autonomous abilities and OA are off the chart good. I'll probably get one for those reasons alone.

Also waiting for June Skydio2. Easy decision as mine will replace a P4. Only Mavic I own is the Mini. Wish I had ordered the S2 earlier. Would not have ordered it if I already owned an MP2. Good luck, have fun.

The most intriguing difference for me as indicated by OP's above YT and the one below is the ability of the S2 to autonomously ascend and descend while tracking. Something the M2 isn't able to do.

Skydio2 got best flight controller on the market and best processor for video, but, i really doubt they 'props down' design. i would wait quite a bit until actual first reviews will pile up, of how it actually is in real world use scenarios, not paid advertisements.

also, the real issue M2P or M2Z obstacle avoidance has is an ability to see small branches and wires. i kinda doubt that this skydio will see hanging wires any better than M2P, but, who knows. and, so far, the the ability of the drone to follow me automatically through the forest while i am on the mountain bike is not what i need from the drone, at all. but, there are many extreme sports users out there, perhaps it is aimed at them.

I think the Mavic 2 pro has a couple of advantages over the Skydio 2, range, portability and low light/night filming.
If these things are most critical to you, the the M2P would be recommended.
For me, these are not an issue. I have the Parrot Anafi, which uses the same controller and the range is adequate for my needs. While the Mavic folds smaller, I still need to carry a 10.5" tablet, tablet mount, hood, spare batteries, props, filters etc. so I would be likely carrying a case the size of the Skydio one anyway.
I never fly at night, so for me, that is not important.
The Skydio 2 has some advantages over the M2P/
Better tracking using optics and GPS, continues to follow when subject goes out of sight
Better Obstacle avoidance
OA works at full speed and in all directions
OA detects even tiny branches and wires.
4K 60 fps video
Camera can look up 45 degrees
No props or prop shadows ever in view
Batteries cost less (but don't fly quite as long)
Skydio can be flown with phone, optional remote or the new Beacon controller
Beacon is perfect for following when running, kayaking, biking, surfing, climbing or any other activity where you don't want to carry a regular remote
No worries about No Fly Zones or where your data is being sent or someone tracking your drone
No worries about tariffs or Chinese product being banned
Made in the USA
Overall cost is less than M2P

I have tried following and OA with other drones and it has been extremely unreliable, really just a gimmick in my opinion.
My vision is failing, depth perception is poor so having a drone that can detect small branches and wires is critical. I live in the mountains with lots of trees around and often fly over rivers and narrow creeks where there are also lots of obstacles if you want to fly low. I kayak whitewater and mountain bike where no other drone has been good enough to follow and avoid obstacles.
These things are important to me so I have ordered the Skydio 2.

Last edited:
I think the Mavic 2 pro has a couple of advantages over the Skydio 2, range, portability and low light/night filming.
If these things are most critical to you, the the M2P would be recommended.
For me, these are not an issue. I have the Parrot Anafi, which uses the same controller and the range is adequate for my needs. While the Mavic folds smaller, I still need to carry a 10.5" tablet, hood, spare batteries, props, filters etc. so I would be likely carrying a case the size of the Skydio one anyway.
I never fly at night, so for me, that is not important.
The Skydio 2 has some advantages over the M2P/
Better tracking using optics and GPS, continues to follow when subject goes out of sight
Better Obstacle avoidance
OA works at full speed and in all directions
OA detects even tiny branches and wires.
4K 60 fps video
Camera can look up 45 degrees
No props or prop shadows ever in view
Batteries cost less (but don't fly quite as long)
Skydio can be flown with phone, optional remote or the new Beacon controller
Beacon is perfect for following when running, kayaking, biking, surfing, climbing or any other activity where you don't want to carry a regular remote
No worries about No Fly Zones or where your data is being sent or someone tracking your drone
No worries about tariffs or Chinese product being banned
Made in the USA
Overall cost is less than M2P

I have tried following and OA with other drones and it has been extremely unreliable, really just a gimmick in my opinion.
My vision is failing, depth perception is poor so having a drone that can detect small branches and wires is critical. I live in the mountains with lots of trees around and often fly over rivers and narrow creeks where there are also lots of obstacles if you want to fly low. I kayak whitewater and mountain bike where no other drone has been good enough to follow and avoid obstacles.
These things are important to me so I have ordered the Skydio 2.
I am going to wait but am seriously considering dumping my M2P for this for most all the reasons you stated.
It seems to fly as far as legally allowed at the moment at least around here. The 4K 60FPS, 45 degree up camera angle, and especially buying a product that is not controlled by a Chinese company telling me where I can and can't fly. I have no problem with props down as it has been used in drones for some time.
The camera seems as good or better than the M2P and that is what I bought it for.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention was warranty. Skydio says if you crash it they will replace it, if you are flying within their guidelines (which are yet to be published.)
The warranty does not cost extra and you do not have to pay again if you use it.

so, that is yet to be seen, as well as it is yet to be seen how fully automated AI OA will act when flying straight in the sun, etc. hopefully it will work as it was advertised, will see.
All the videos I have watched, show that it absolutely can detect and avoid these things.

One thing I forgot to mention was warranty. Skydio says if you crash it they will replace it, if you are flying within their guidelines (which are yet to be published.)
The warranty does not cost extra and you do not have to pay again if you use it.
From what I remember the only guideline was that the OA has to be on. It was mentioned that the OA could only be turned off by permission for those needeing very close quarters. I imagine the warranty is different in that situation.

From what I remember the only guideline was that the OA has to be on. It was mentioned that the OA could only be turned off by permission for those needeing very close quarters. I imagine the warranty is different in that situation.
I heard that the OA "bubble" could be reduced for enterprise users so that it would allow flying closer to objects but still avoid them (maybe at slower speeds.)

That’s the hooker... unknown manufacturer guidelines... would be great if they don’t matter, but only time will tel the real complete story.

That’s the hooker... unknown manufacturer guidelines... would be great if they don’t matter, but only time will tel the real complete story.
True. DJI has lots of "guidelines" which can void your warranty and they don't cover crashes at all unless you prepaid for the extra care. Skydio obviously has a lot of confidence in their product.

I really think these are 2 different drones for 2 very different missions.
I like to fly and set up my own shots, and rarely video. For this reason the Skydio has nothing to offer. (Has there been any mention of range? I may have missed it, but haven’t seen anything)
But if I was looking for video in tight spaces and decent follow, then the Skydio may be the drone for the job.
I don’t think either of these drones excels in both.

Has there been any mention of range? I may have missed it, but haven’t seen anything.
Range with the controller is stated at 3.5km.
Using the little "beacon" device is 1.5km.
I imagine using the phone is very close...

Range with the controller is stated at 3.5km.
Using the little "beacon" device is 1.5km.
I imagine using the phone is very close...
Yea, ill wait for some unbiased flight testing. I guess, if the listed range is solid, than that’s good

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter