DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Problem Hysteria

Not hysteria, these are genuine people who care about the M2 and have purchased the product in good faith. We actually need to support them if the claims are true, which it seems they are. This can be easily be clarified by DJI if only to reassure customers that these issues are being managed, especially the missing software features.

Reactions: Former Member
DJI only allowed a short amount of time for the very first reviews of the M2. Only during the past 7 days following extensive use by experienced pilots have the thorough technical reviews emerged. I acknowledge that only a small minority of their customer base may discuss or care about these issues. But these are the very people who were at the product launch and who were promised the best drone of its class. But it seems that the software is far from complete, why not just be honest about it to manage expectations. We would have been happy with a disclaimer about features and future firmware releases. This basically destroys consumer trust in my view, when it could have been the best product release to date by DJI. I'm still optimistic that DJI will make a statement soon.

Calm down. You're WAY over thinking this. This is probably one of the most successful launches in DJI history and solidifies their dominance of this market, not erodes it. Any early adopter should understand that firmware will be optimized along the way, but in exchange for those inconveniences , the vast majority of us enjoy the upgrades in technology sooner rather than later... (the image quality alone compared to my MPP is SO much better) and for the rest (one) of us with an unglued gimbal, there is warranty. Chips in every quality product category are going to be buggy here and there- (as evidenced by a bad chip in my new $4K Denon audio equipment) I don't think this drone is exempt from any other Chines mass manufacturing snafus.

I know the missing 'precision landing' software feature seems trivial in this forum. But why would you eliminate such a strong safety feature for newbies or for authorised drone flights in metropolitan areas where landing space is very limited (not to mention variable gusty winds etc.)

I know the missing 'precision landing' software feature seems trivial in this forum. But why would you eliminate such a strong safety feature for newbies or for authorised drone flights in metropolitan areas where landing space is very limited (not to mention variable gusty winds etc.)

It was a great feature, successfully implemented and, as has been pointed out, it was clearly referenced in the launch presentation. It has to be a technical issue with the new sensor set. I'll see what I can find out.

See post 14 - Mavic Pro 2 Precision Landing
It will be back.

Thanks to those who chimed in with my "Slow SD card" issue.
As suggested by Mavic 57 I bought the 128 gig ScanDisk Extreme and voila, problem solved!
Posting a couple of pictures of it, in case anyone else runs into this and wants to be sure the've got the correct card.
IMG_1420.jpg IMG_1419.jpg

I'm using the SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-3.
I know this portion of the post is pretty well put to bed but the spec for the SD card on page 63 of the U/M calls for a UHS-1 Speed grade 3
S-D card speed.jpg
What is speed grade 3? What does it mean?

I couldn't come up with anything so I bought this card (128gb UHS-3) So far, so good. I think it is faster than the DJI spec.

Well if a pilot hasn't a few square feet available for an automatic RTH at the landing zone then he shouldn't have started there (especially as a newbie).

Just my 2 cents

Chris

Well if a pilot hasn't a few square feet available for an automatic RTH at the landing zone then he shouldn't have started there (especially as a newbie).

Just my 2 cents

Chris

I accept your point regarding the landing zone Chris, but space is a challenge in most metropolitan areas or geographically challenging locations. Most public spaces such as City parks are now becoming more restricted as you probably know. The precision landing provides a level of certainty & accuracy that limits the risk of human error. The technology exists in the M1 series, so why not use it for M2. I just feel that automated flight assistance (especially for landing) is the only way to regulate the safety aspects of Drones, it's obviously not compulsory, but I would imagine that a lot of people want that certainty for various reasons, but mostly to protect the drone, people & property. We all know the facts regarding autopilot versus human factors in aviation, the same applies to drones.

Finally, we don't actually know what the specific accuracy parameters/limitations are for RTH at the moment. I'm happy to fly manually for the next few months, I'm capable of doing this, but then I'm a PPL and I've been flying RC for 20 years (but I haven't been active on this forum). I love free flight when the location permits it.

I just want to reduce the negative press about Drones being dangerous, I know there will always be the odd maverick out there when it comes to safety. But let's try to make sure that the technology helps to reduce the risk, especially if the technology exists. I also think it's great that people care about precise landings, it means they are aware of the need for precision as a matter of safety. The same applies to waypoints, it's very difficult to plan & execute a safe mission without waypoints, we absolutely need these reference points.

But above all, the M2 Pro (& Zoom) is a big step in the right direction and I'm very happy to get my hands on it. I'm just disappointed that a few key software features are missing at the moment as they've been available in the past. So it seems like a step backward for these particular features.

I got my new Mavic 2 and it crashed right away. Admittedly, I didn’t calibrate the compass or fully charge the battery. Also I took off from underneath a power line. Then I flew under a steel bridge. Beyond line of site. In an area with heavy WiFi interference. I’m not 100% sure what caused the crash because I was updating my Facebook status at the time, but come on DJI, you can do better!

I got my new Mavic 2 and it crashed right away. Admittedly, I didn’t calibrate the compass or fully charge the battery. Also I took off from underneath a power line. Then I flew under a steel bridge. Beyond line of site. In an area with heavy WiFi interference. I’m not 100% sure what caused the crash because I was updating my Facebook status at the time, but come on DJI, you can do better!

Yuk yuk yuk. ;)

BTW, did you happen to be getting an incoming phone call at the same time?

I trust this is good old IRONY ?

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I know this portion of the post is pretty well put to bed but the spec for the SD card on page 63 of the U/M calls for a UHS-1 Speed grade 3
View attachment 45428
What is speed grade 3? What does it mean?

I couldn't come up with anything so I bought this card (128gb UHS-3) So far, so good. I think it is faster than the DJI spec.
That's the card DJI sent me.

You going to learn how to multitask if you're ever going to get a raise.

Similar situation yesterday. I didn't get care refresh, and it was a few days after I activated it. I flew a few times, and then had it go haywire. I've flown hundreds of flights on the old mavic. It just flew in a straight line into a building 100 yards away. Nothing I did would stop its trajectory.

I'm not sure what my options are since I don't have the refresh. Did you have any luck?

Similar situation yesterday. I didn't get care refresh, and it was a few days after I activated it. I flew a few times, and then had it go haywire. I've flown hundreds of flights on the old mavic. It just flew in a straight line into a building 100 yards away. Nothing I did would stop its trajectory.

I'm not sure what my options are since I don't have the refresh. Did you have any luck?
Uhhhhh. Hmmmm... did you read the post you quoted?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomcat1920