DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Mavic 3 - After the Snowfall

Wumpus_NJ

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Other than some nuisance storms, we haven't had much snowfall here in Central NJ USA in a couple of years.

After a 10" (40cm) snowfall 2 weeks ago, I sent up the Mavic 3 in my neighborhood to capture the views and activity.

Haven't done a video in quite a while, so I thought I'd have some fun with this one.

Comments and CC are appreciated.
YouTube link below - be sure your sound is turned on.

I fixed the embedded issue so users can view within the Thread.

Nice Video!

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
I fixed the embedded issue so users can view within the Thread.

Nice Video!
Thanks - appreciated! Also, the wrong link was in the original post -- fixed now!

Great video. Except for the changes in speed, I assume that all your maneuvers are manual.

I’m curious about the music you’ve added. Do we have to use something from a source that meets copyright restrictions? If so, does that only apply to work being done for commercial purposes?

If I want to add a movement from a Beethoven symphony, is it okay as long as I’m not receiving compensation for it? In any event, how could anyone identify the performers? Obviously, if it’s a Beatles’ song there’s no question.

That might be something another member might be able to give some insight on.

I am interested in learning what you can share from your experiences in flying in those in those conditions.

I haven’t tried any flying over snow yet. I’m interested in hearing about any special things to do and look out for.

For instance, how does the drone behave at lower altitudes? Do the sensors have any trouble recognizing where the “ground” is, in this case, the surface of the snow?

Your video is done while the sky is overcast. Do you, or anyone else, know how the brightness on a clear day affect the sensors? How does the drone perform over areas with no distinguishing features?

I assume that the sensors can “read” the presence of partially covered trees, bushes, and other features. Does the glare on a sunny day change that?

I’m not asking about the camera performance. I expect it takes care of itself if operating under automatic. I don’t expect that g.p.s. is affected either. I’m concerned about the drone detecting (or not detecting) something incorrectly and overriding manual controls.

Great video. Except for the changes in speed, I assume that all your maneuvers are manual.

I’m curious about the music you’ve added. Do we have to use something from a source that meets copyright restrictions? If so, does that only apply to work being done for commercial purposes?

If I want to add a movement from a Beethoven symphony, is it okay as long as I’m not receiving compensation for it? In any event, how could anyone identify the performers? Obviously, if it’s a Beatles’ song there’s no question.

That might be something another member might be able to give some insight on.

I am interested in learning what you can share from your experiences in flying in those in those conditions.

I haven’t tried any flying over snow yet. I’m interested in hearing about any special things to do and look out for.

For instance, how does the drone behave at lower altitudes? Do the sensors have any trouble recognizing where the “ground” is, in this case, the surface of the snow?

Your video is done while the sky is overcast. Do you, or anyone else, know how the brightness on a clear day affect the sensors? How does the drone perform over areas with no distinguishing features?

I assume that the sensors can “read” the presence of partially covered trees, bushes, and other features. Does the glare on a sunny day change that?

I’m not asking about the camera performance. I expect it takes care of itself if operating under automatic. I don’t expect that g.p.s. is affected either. I’m concerned about the drone detecting (or not detecting) something incorrectly and overriding manual controls.
Glad you liked it - and thanks for the feedback. The one speed change was to sync with crescendo in the soundtrack, but that might not be obvious nor to everyone's liking.

Yes, most maneuvers were manual. The clips showing the forested area were taken with waypoints to capture same area in various seasons.

No issues (sensors, etc) flying in the almost-complete snowstorm. There was some very light snow falling, but that presented no issues. However, flying while snow if falling can cause props to freeze up, so exercise caution. Search this site for example of flights while snow is falling.

For camera, when there is very bright situations (like full sunshine on snow), using an ND filter may be necessary to reduce the amount of light hitting the camera sensor. ND filters are most useful when shooting video to achieve the desired frame rate. Overall, use of ND filters is a broad topic - best to search this site for examples and guidance.

Regarding soundtrack, I used a track from the YouTube audio library that requires no attribution or copyright notice (and no fees either). Some audio sites have free tracks, but require attribution in a specific format.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian