DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 is not for professionas

So your buddy showed up to a paid job without first taking the time to understand the capabilities of the brand new equipment he was going to use? Yikes. Good thing he had a backup I guess.
Exactly. Never use a new drone on a job unless you know what you're doing with it, and know how to actually use it. He owns his failure on site 100%. He can't blame DJI for this.

I am not a fan of the Fly App (and many at DJI know this), but it's not a reason to return it. Especially if the error is on the one who doesn't understand the app to begin with.

Yesterday I was invited by buddy of my to photo shoot with spanking new Mavic 3. He is Professional drone pilot. Professional means his main source of income, in his case 100% is from flying drones.
I was super excited because he said I can have one battery and just go at it, after the shoot. He got the drone 2 days ago.

His assignment was to inspect 215m stack from inside, it developed some cracks and they wanted to see how big etc. We went inside the stack and tried to fly in to it from the top, he could not do it because sensors were detecting the walls. We tried from the inside but also were not able to do it.
He tried to disable the sensors and he could not find the place where he can disable them. 30min later in absolute disbelieve he used his Inspire he had in the car to finish the job, he was quite disappoint with DJi FLY app. He was surprised he could not use DJO GO4 app.

He said ability to disable the sensors is absolutely necessary for him, 50% of his jobs if not more are in the places where sensors have to be disabled.

He took off his mavic 2 pro from kijiji very promptly, he said he will most likely return M3 until everything is sorted out.

When I said most people on the internet think M3 is for pros, he said: pros need all the functions they can get their hands on, not just pretty camera. I was super happy because he let me fly all 3 batteries on Mavic 3 while he was flying inside the stack.

I love how the drone flies, but was sad I could not do 360 or 180 panos, with that camera it would have to be amazing, he had permit to fly very close to places where no one can fly and that panorama would be one of the kind (I kinda did it manually). Zoom function is cool but only to certain level and you can’t have AEB in zoom and apparently not even DNG :(

Once DJI adds back all the functions, if they do, it will be amazing drone, still not for pros if you can’t disable sensors.
It’s a forum - meant to share ideas, info and perspectives - so thanks for sharing! I do think we all need to keep it respectful here and not personal.

Total get this. We all revert to what we comfortably know and trust when we have to just ‘get it done’ on a shoot. He brought both drones, tried M3 and instead of wasting time, he used the tool he was comfortable with. The Inspire is a pro drone and sure he’ll find time on the M3 to have the comfort and to see where it fits in his business.

I would have done the same to try the M3. Client asks why I switched drones, I just would have told them It’s a new drone and using the one it trust instead. Nothing ‘unprofessional’ with that as they aren’t paying for what I don’t do, just what I do.

Plus side, you got all the time on the M3 sticks!

One option, more a work around, to disable the sensors is use sport mode and adjust the flight controls (too sensitive in sport for close or confined space work).

One basic requirement for a professional is to have a complete understanding of the equipment to be used...right?

Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
Yesterday I was invited by buddy of my to photo shoot with spanking new Mavic 3. He is Professional drone pilot. Professional means his main source of income, in his case 100% is from flying drones.
I was super excited because he said I can have one battery and just go at it, after the shoot. He got the drone 2 days ago.

His assignment was to inspect 215m stack from inside, it developed some cracks and they wanted to see how big etc. We went inside the stack and tried to fly in to it from the top, he could not do it because sensors were detecting the walls. We tried from the inside but also were not able to do it.
He tried to disable the sensors and he could not find the place where he can disable them. 30min later in absolute disbelieve he used his Inspire he had in the car to finish the job, he was quite disappoint with DJi FLY app. He was surprised he could not use DJO GO4 app.

He said ability to disable the sensors is absolutely necessary for him, 50% of his jobs if not more are in the places where sensors have to be disabled.

He took off his mavic 2 pro from kijiji very promptly, he said he will most likely return M3 until everything is sorted out.

When I said most people on the internet think M3 is for pros, he said: pros need all the functions they can get their hands on, not just pretty camera. I was super happy because he let me fly all 3 batteries on Mavic 3 while he was flying inside the stack.

I love how the drone flies, but was sad I could not do 360 or 180 panos, with that camera it would have to be amazing, he had permit to fly very close to places where no one can fly and that panorama would be one of the kind (I kinda did it manually). Zoom function is cool but only to certain level and you can’t have AEB in zoom and apparently not even DNG :(

Once DJI adds back all the functions, if they do, it will be amazing drone, still not for pros if you can’t disable sensors.
With all due respect, your “buddy” was using the wrong tool for the job! I say this because one of our firm’s skill sets is inspecting, photographing, and interpreting results of visual surface indications present on heat recovery steam generators (including tall steel and concrete stacks), pressure vessels, piping, and tanks. Your buddy’s client was none the wiser either for trying to engage what appears to be a novice for the task at hand. Sorry, but based on the info you presented, that’s my take on this matter.

There are different uses for drones... It might be meant for video/photo production pros, not for inspection pros.

Little doubt that in 6 months they will come with an M3 Enterprise for the latter.

One basic requirement for a professional is to have a complete understanding of the equipment to be used...right?
I'm a DoP mostly, drone is an extra as I like to fly. I've used a lot of cameras on a lot of different jobs, and I can't say I have a complete understanding of all of them. Same goes for the Drones. ( I do have a pretty good understanding of the cameras I own though)

The title reads something to the effect that Mavic 3 is not for professionals. I’ve had mine for over two weeks and upon first observations, I would have agreed. I cannot stand the DJI Fly app. And as of this post, there are no other third part apps available yet due to DJI not releasing the SDK. However, after a couple of jobs, my opinion is the Mavic 3 is a significant improvement over the Mavic 2, and I do believe now it is a professional device. And once the SDK is released and time allowed for other apps to catch up, I believe the Mavic 3 will really shine. From what I’ve read on this site, and other reviews, it is clear that many are not really taking the time to understand all the new features. The obstacle avoidance is crazy good, but it can also be very frustrating. The past few jobs, I’m now quickly able to toggle it off and on during a flight. It is also important to understanding the Cine, Normal and Sport modes and when to use them. Yes, I am frustrated with the inability to adjust shutter speed when shooting video, but the quality coming out of this device is incredible. Unfortunately, I have to hold onto my M2 to do mapping missions until again, the SDK is released and then apps such as Pix4DCapture, Litchi, etc., are updated. I believe most frustration is coming from DJI Go 4 to DJI Fly. Another example with the app, my photos choices are limited to JPG or JPG+DNG. I don’t want JPG files if I’m shooting DNG. Why make me have both? Frustrating. This is the “not for professional” issue, the app, not the drone. The DJI Fly app is not a professional app.

Last edited:
I just hope that with the announced big January update DJI Fly will get more functions.
The Mavic 3 is a big step forward but DJI Fly is a big step backward compared to Go4.
That is an app aimed at people who don't want to think much but get this thing flying.

Switching to sports mode in order to deactivate the sensors - I guess this also deactivates what is called in Go4 "Downward Positioning System". And this is what is needed when flying inside without GPS.

I can fly my M2P from the toilet to the attic without a problem (not that there is any need to ;-)
The M3 I don't want to fly inside a building yet.

Reactions: TRogan42
DJI Fly is a big step backward compared to Go4.
That is an app aimed at people who don't want to think much but get this thing flying.
I fly drones that use both the Go 4 and Fly apps and I always use manual settings for the camera...I'm not sure which settings are missing on the Fly App. The Fly app is easier to use but I can't see where it's dummied down. Looking forward to some one filling me in on what they miss so much. I hope it's not those curves for non linear flight control. I learned to quit fooling myself with those long ago.

Hard to believe a "professional" would take a tool to a job and not even look at the operating system beforehand. Who set it up? When you go through the steps to prepare it, you should see all those options. But he did have his Inspire with him, so he covered his butt. If you have an Inspire, why would you want to even use the Mavic?

I think the Mavic is certainly a tool a pro can use to get excellent work done, as well as the Inspire in many cases. I make my living from photography and video and will certainly make money with it. The images I have seen from the main camera are at least as good or better than what I've gotten from an Inspire X5 in the past. I do agree the software is geared for hobbyists and not professionals. I think the transmitter is part of the problem with a lack of controls.

Reactions: Point Zero
Just for the record, yes, you can turn off obstacle avoidance... it’s actually the very first thing you come to in the “safety” settings.

Reactions: TRogan42
Well, your friend tried to use an unfamiliar system. You can’t really say it isn’t for professionals when the person didn’t properly understand how the thing works. From what I read here the OA system can be disabled.
Sensors can absolutely be turned off.

With all due respect, your “buddy” was using the wrong tool for the job! I say this because one of our firm’s skill sets is inspecting, photographing, and interpreting results of visual surface indications present on heat recovery steam generators (including tall steel and concrete stacks), pressure vessels, piping, and tanks. Your buddy’s client was none the wiser either for trying to engage what appears to be a novice for the task at hand. Sorry, but based on the info you presented, that’s my take on this matter.
late to this discussion…

Curious as to what drones you utilize, you mention M3 as wrong and didn’t indicate what you felt was a proper inspection platform.

I’m assuming you’re indicating non-DJI cage enclosed platform specifically designed for enclosed environment?

If a DJI fits the bill, what makes it a usable craft?
I’d agree an I2 wouldn’t be my 1st option for enclosed stacks… it’s not the most hover positional stable, tends to need open sky for gps, gains normally aren’t tuned for minimal movement in atti mode, and a bit large overall.

Why not just put the M3 in sport mode. The Obstacle sensors turn off automatically. That's how I am able to land on my 4 ft wide balcony with 2 ft on each side. I just switch to sport mode and the Obs Sensors turn off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark