DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 now available (more details inside)

If only DJI would have been able to add side sensors and variable aperture to the Air 2S it would have fit the bill for the vast majority of flyers :D
I agree. But if they do that will kill the Pro sales. Anyway, if somebody asks recommendation at this point for the money the MA2S is the way to go.

Look folks, regarding the Mavic 3, either you like it or you don’t, either you want it or you don’t, either you can afford it or you can’t. And if you can’t afford it, be happy with what you have (Air2S is great) so why go around bad mouthing DJI or the 3. If you go to DJI‘s website like I did last night and add up the individual items on the Fly More, they do add up (I stopped counting when I got to $800). BTW, that must be a hell of a shoulder bag/backpack for over $300, but that’s what it cost! I’ve never been one who waits to see what’s coming out next because with that attitude I’ll be forever spinning my wheels and will always be waiting for the next diamond to appear. Bottom line, get it only if you got the disposable cash or you gonna put it to work and make it pay for itself. Love you guys, I am forever indebted to all of you for all of the expert advice I get here on this forum… thanks so much!

Reactions: rcourtney671
My question is what's the point of ND filters with a camera with an adjustable aperture and 13 stops of dynamic range in the fly more combo?

My thoughts from what I have seen so far:

The Good:
-
Flight time & rear mount batteries, but we already knew that
- Video seems to be oversampled from 5.1K which is really excellent - hopefully no surprises there. The M2P used subsampling to create a pretty average 4K in FOV mode, which is not the way you want to go about it.
- 10bit DLog looks incredibly flat, way more so than the M2P, there is a ton of useful DR there
- Everything to do with the drone's chassis seems to be a significant upgrade over the M2P, especially the vision system and ability to fly around signal-blocking obstacles with 4G for certain applications (good for S&R, law enforcement, etc.) RTH looks like it got a nice improvement as well.
- New smart controller looks like more of an upgrade than simply adding O3 to the old one

The Bad:
- The telephoto camera looks like garbage and is limited to 4K 30P as well as auto exposure. No Dlog either. Seems like a gimmick at least on current firmware. Still has some use for surveillance, etc. but nothing I would ever use personally.
- The bag really hurts the fly more combo's value with an individual price of $319 USD
- The included charger does not have a discharge function or a storage charge function

What I am trying to figure out:
- Is distortion correction done in the drone when using 10bit DLog (it was not in the M2P). This is critical for anyone who likes to edit with LumaFusion.

It's pretty clear to me this drone is aimed at serious hobbyists and professionals. People who have spent time with it already have described it as closer to the Inspire line than the Mavic line in terms of image quality and overall refinement. If that's all true, that makes it quite a bargain in my opinion. This drone definitely isn't for everyone and the Air 2S is ready and waiting at a very good price.

When I buy one in the Spring (pointless to buy with our Winter coming up haha), I'm going to build my own "fly more" combo with extra batteries, the RC Pro, extra props, possibly third party filters, third party bag and third party charger (with discharge/storage charge functions). Not a big fan of DJI's accessories this time around and it's low hanging fruit to save ~$500.

My question is what's the point of ND filters with a camera with an adjustable aperture and 13 stops of dynamic range in the fly more combo?

The adjustable aperture just allows you to get away with fewer ND filters. With a 20MP 4/3 sensor, diffraction will start to degrade the image after about F6.7, so you aren't going to want to go beyond that if your priority is image quality. Sharpest aperture is probably F4 or F5.6, so if you plan to leave it there for maximum image quality, you will need to rely even more on NDs.

Also, an aperture range of F2.8 - 11 is only 4 stops, and that isn't nearly enough avoid NDs for video work.

The dynamic range is not something you want to rely on to recover poorly exposed video, that isn't really the point of having it. You still want to try get your exposure spot-on, and then when you shoot in 10bit DLog you will have maximum flexibility in post.

So the smart controller is $1200 as a separate item.

That's more than the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

The store doesn't list additional batteries as separate items if you buy them individually.

So $800 more for the Fly More kit gets you 2 additional batteries, a bag, ND filters and additional props.

Wow the chutzpah.
My bet is the price will come down some after xmas

Direct off the Mavic site: Note the use of Tele-lens. Does this mean it has a true telephoto lens and not just digital zoom?

What are the advantages of Mavic 3's imaging system?​

Mavic 3 is equipped with a dual-camera system. First, the Hasselblad camera has a professional-level 4/3 CMOS sensor and supports the Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution, allowing users to get stunning results without the need for post-processing. Mavic 3 Cine goes one step further, offering support for Apple ProRes 422 HQ encoding. Second, the tele lens of the dual-camera system supports Explore mode for 28x hybrid zoom, allowing you to see more of your environment and plan shots with ease.

It has two fixed focal length lenses, the main camera is a 24mm (equivalent) lens on the 4/3 sensor. The second camera has a fixed focal length of 162mm and a fixed aperture of F4.4. The drone has no optical zooming capability whatsoever.

Each camera can simply crop it's image 4X so after the main 24mm (equivalent) camera has cropped in 4X, it switches to the 162mm (equivalent) lens uncropped, and then beyond that is starts cropping the 162mm camera's image up to a maximum of 4X as well. As expected, neither camera can defy physics and those modes make it look like they were shot on a flip phone from 1996. You can also achieve an identical effect in post. Using the telephoto camera as an example, the reason it looks so bad is you are taking 4K resolution at 162mm and throwing away pixels until it looks like ~650mm, or the rough equivalent of ~0.5 megapixels (4K is ~8MP).

As for Hasselblad, they give DJI their color science licensing and that's about it. The image sensor and lens are not made by Hasselblad. DJI bought a stake in the company to use mostly for marketing purposes.

I purchased the drone on Amazon since I have the Amazon credit card which gives me 5% cash back. Amazon doesnt seem to have spare batteries or DJI care refresh. Has anyone purchased drone and care refresh in different places? Is it just a digital purchase? Can I buy the Care refresh I get the drone delivered?
Yes you can add the DJI refresh thru the controller and the account .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the storm

As for Hasselblad, they give DJI their color science licensing and that's about it. The image sensor and lens are not made by Hasselblad. DJI bought a stake in the company to use mostly for marketing purposes.
Very much this, it frustrates me how classic camera companies names are using just for branding.

Very much this, it frustrates me how classic camera companies names are using just for branding.

Leica and Zeiss brands are used for the same purposes across the entry level digital camera and smartphone industry. People see that brand name and assume whatever product they're looking at has the same pedigree as the "real thing" and that is most definitely not the case. Usually it's just an expensive sticker.

Leica and Zeiss brands are used for the same purposes across the entry level digital camera and smartphone industry. People see that brand name and assume whatever product they're looking at has the same pedigree as the "real thing" and that is most definitely not the case. Usually it's just an expensive sticker.
I have the One Plus camera phone that has the Hassle Camera, so your saying it not really there lens but they bought the licensee to use the name. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Capture the Storm.

I have the One Plus camera phone that has the Hassle Camera, so your saying it not really there lens but they bought the licensee to use the name. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Capture the Storm.

Correct.

Hassleblad makes their cameras by hand in Sweden and Sony fabricates their image sensors. Current Hassleblad lenses are made by Nittoh in Japan. Some of them cost more than $30,000. They had absolutely nothing to do with the camera in your smartphone other than maybe some licensing for image processing algorithms. OnePlus just pays Hasselblad to use their branding.

Correct.

Hassleblad makes their cameras by hand in Sweden and Sony fabricates their image sensors. Current Hassleblad lenses are made by Nittoh in Japan. Some of them cost more than $30,000. They had absolutely nothing to do with the camera in your smartphone other than maybe some licensing for image processing algorithms. OnePlus just pays Hasselblad to use their branding.
Well here is your proof that you are correct, UGH Co Developed got me . So the Mavic 3 is the same than ?

2021-11-05_12h38_42.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, and Capture the Storm.

The advantage to buying now vs waiting is you have nearly 3 full months at some stores to test it out and return it if it doesn't deliver on its promises or provide enough value for you for the price. Better hurry though amazon US only has 17 left.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman