DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 or fake news?

I think there is too much attention to the sensor size, hence I labelled the Skydio a "flying action cam" as opposed to the DJI line being more on the "general purpose" side. Not all "pilots" are interested in supreme video quality, not everyone is even wasting terabytes of 4k+ footage, when 1080p is more than enough, not everyone is even doing post-processing but rather performing simple smartphone compositions, not even using the onboard SD (in such case, for instance, the 4k footage is unusable).

DJI will have to position themselves carefully: either serve only a niche pro market (which apart from the buggy software they are doing pretty well) or delve into consumer level with the right approach, otherwise there will be someone else (preferably not Chinese, and Skydio ticks the box on that note) doing the right thing in their own segment.

Ah that's disruptive innovation btw, bringing a cheaper product which focuses only on what the vast majority of customer need, disregard whistles and bells that are only for engineers and die-hard aficionados. Much like drones were distruptive to aerial photography, when people were using (ultralight) aircrafts for that. Now even kids can do it blindfold :)

In the end what most people want is a flying camera that doesn't require much attention, doesn't crash and doesn't draw the attention of authorities because of "pilot errors". Skydio seemingly nailed it. Then they can simply catch up with all the whistles and bells geeks love, such as sensors size, zoom, etc.

I think the sensor size matters if the real-time computer is bad but it has so much packed tech that w/ better technology, smaller sensors can produce better imaging than bigger sensors w/ less technology.

The Smartphone lenses stay the same size I think but the quality goes up on every next generation?

Reactions: Peio64270
Indeed. That's merely incremental innovation. What Skydio brought to the table is an innovation of meaning. Let's see DJI's next move (which could as well start with the mini), better M3 be a killer. So far DJI just packed the same features in different sizes, adding innovations to the next product regardless of its ranking in a very confuse way, due to producing tightly overlapping products in a tight price range (e.g. between spark, air, Mavic and phantom there is at least one too many, if not two).

I think the sensor size matters if the real-time computer is bad but it has so much packed tech that w/ better technology, smaller sensors can produce better imaging than bigger sensors w/ less technology.

The Smartphone lenses stay the same size I think but the quality goes up on every next generation?
Computational photography is what has improved on the smartphones, adding additional lenses to the mix, along with a successively faster computer on board to do the post processing immediately. However, smaller sensors still cannot effectively compete with the dynamic range, low noise, and higher useful ISO of a much larger sensor, especially in low light. Smartphones are best in good lighting. They have replaced pocket cameras, but not DSLR's. However, the best camera for the job is the one you always have with you! That's still the Smartphone!

Computational photography is what has improved on the smartphones, adding additional lenses to the mix, along with a successively faster computer on board to do the post processing immediately. However, smaller sensors still cannot effectively compete with the dynamic range, low noise, and higher useful ISO of a much larger sensor, especially in low light. Smartphones are best in good lighting. They have replaced pocket cameras, but not DSLR's. However, the best camera for the job is the one you always have with you! That's still the Smartphone!
Well, how do they get 13 HDR Stops on testing with 1 2/3"? It certainly looks like proper HDR too.

Well, how do they get 13 HDR Stops on testing with 1 2/3"? It certainly looks like proper HDR too.
I thought I already answered that: computational photography. There is only so much you can do with a small sensor. We are saying the same thing. I answered your question in relation to the smartphone, but the answer is still the same. Also, the 13 stops is a marketing claim that still has not yet been independently verified. They also don't tell you how much noise is in the lower end of the dynamic range. Their level of noise acceptance may not agree with normal standards.

Maybe dji is trying to lure otherwise M2P customers like myself who bought a M1P instead because they were confused by the m2P vs. M2Z issue. I mean why only a 2X zoom? Does 2X zoom do more in the air than on the ground? My cheapo point and shoot camera has a 20X zoom.

Maybe dji is trying to lure otherwise M2P customers like myself who bought a M1P instead because they were confused by the m2P vs. M2Z issue. I mean why only a 2X zoom? Does 2X zoom do more in the air than on the ground? My cheapo point and shoot camera has a 20X zoom.
Zoom on a drone is a two edged sword. It exaggerates any instability in flight and compresses all haze in the sky, as well as heat waves, and you have to pan twice as slow to avoid jitter, especially when you cannot shoot at 60fps in 4K. The zoom lens is also a variable aperture, so you lose a full stop of light when you zoom in to 2x. The greater the zoom, the more pronounced all the above problems are, especially on a small 1/2.3 sensor.

Remember we are still talking about a consumer-level drone on a Mavic (up until the Phantom, for that matter).
2x is more than enough for a single camera equipment and besides the hype going around the M2P, it's a more than adequate improvement over MP/MPP. I actually find the M2P camera being out of its place, but you know the saying: de gustibus...
If you had a magnification higher than 2x, it would be almost impossible to fly securely - and not just beyond VLOS.
That's why professional filming drones come with at least 2 separate cameras accessible to the user(s): one for filming, one for flight control.

Remember we are still talking about a consumer-level drone on a Mavic (up until the Phantom, for that matter).
2x is more than enough for a single camera equipment and besides the hype going around the M2P, it's a more than adequate improvement over MP/MPP. I actually find the M2P camera being out of its place, but you know the saying: de gustibus...
If you had a magnification higher than 2x, it would be almost impossible to fly securely - and not just beyond VLOS.
That's why professional filming drones come with at least 2 separate cameras accessible to the user(s): one for filming, one for flight control.
Good point! It would be like a flying telescope, with extreme tunnel vision!

I think the consumer drone industry is further splitting into 3 major segments:
1) flying "cinematic" cameras (where DJI excelled so far)
2) flying (autonomous) action cameras (where Skydio are taking the lead - we shall see DJI's next move)
3) flying FPV drones (here DJI smashed by providing a HD quality real-time camera, not sure if the aircraft itself is up to spec with competition, not an expert there)

M3 will most probably tell the market where DJI want to position. Insisting on #1 won't hurt, but presumably the vast majority of people will be eager to compromise on image quality vs improved safety, maneuverability and autonomy of #2. Also lawmakers will be more eager to support efforts that concentrate on safety (obviously they wouldn't care about sensor size and that stuff...).

I think the consumer drone industry is further splitting into 3 major segments:
1) flying "cinematic" cameras (where DJI excelled so far)
2) flying (autonomous) action cameras (where Skydio are taking the lead - we shall see DJI's next move)
3) flying FPV drones (here DJI smashed by providing a HD quality real-time camera, not sure if the aircraft itself is up to spec with competition, not an expert there)

M3 will most probably tell the market where DJI want to position. Insisting on #1 won't hurt, but presumably the vast majority of people will be eager to compromise on image quality vs improved safety, maneuverability and autonomy of #2. Also lawmakers will be more eager to support efforts that concentrate on safety (obviously they wouldn't care about sensor size and that stuff...).
DJI could easily expand into all 3 major segments you described, with either the same or different aircraft, leveraging and refining their existing technology, to preserve and expand their current marketshare. They could even buy out or license Skydio's technology, much like they partnered with Hasselblad for the M2P image processing algorithms.

DJI could easily expand into all 3 major segments you described, with either the same or different aircraft, leveraging and refining their existing technology, to preserve and expand their current marketshare. They could even buy out or license Skydio's technology, much like they partnered with Hasselblad for the M2P image processing algorithms.
Your buy out proposition is unlikely- the Skydio is running NVIDIA’s Jetson TX2 SOC, a genuine contender to the Intel Movidius vision processing hardware currently used by DJI. Obviously the applications extend way outside the UAV segment. The whole industry will benefit from Intel and NVIDIA competing on specs and performance going forward.

Your buy out proposition is unlikely- the Skydio is running NVIDIA’s Jetson TX2 SOC, a genuine contender to the Intel Movidius vision processing hardware currently used by DJI. Obviously the applications extend way outside the UAV segment. The whole industry will benefit from Intel and NVIDIA competing on specs and performance going forward.
Too bad. It would have been a great synergy! DJI's drones, with Skydio's obstacle avoidance algorithms, complete with Hasselblad's cameras! However, we all benefit from competition between big technology players, and little ones like Skydio challenging the status quo of DJI!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams