DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro Released with new FW Released as well

Look at my video in post 78. I would not call that a social media shot or simple point and shoot. It's an effect you can only get with the zoom lens. I think it looks great myself. It's even zoomed to 28x digital. I could not create this effect in post either.
I don't mean to take that away, it's actually great video footage, the zoom is just not high enough quality for me and the work I do personally.

I don't mean to take that away, it's actually great video footage, the zoom is just not high enough quality for me and the work I do personally.
Digital zoom will always be digital zoom.good for identification purposes and that is it.
But the video,being a birder also all I can say is anytime you get to see,photo or video a bald
eagle is a treat.

MOST PEOPLE STILL CALL THIS LENS, TO GET CLOSEUPS, A "ZOOM" LENS, EVEN THOUGH IT IS A FIXED LENS.
It is still not a zoom lens.
And what about wideangle lenses? They can also be zoom lenses.
A zoom lens is a lens with variable focal length. A lens from 24-48mm can be called a 2x zoom lens. A lens from 70-210mm can be called a 3x zoom lens.
But the Mavic 3 has no lens with variable focal length, in fact it has two cameras with one fixed-focal lens each.

Oh, and almost none of the people I discuss photography with call a fixed lens a zoom lens. These people are either enthusiasts, professionals, or just genuinely interested in photography. One thing they have in common is that they understand the need for using the correct terminology.

Reactions: Meta4
You say it's not semantics
That's because it's not semantics at all.
but lets say I own a 35mm standard DSLR camera. I then think to myself, I want a lens that can see things further away. Lets say this lens is a fixed lens. MOST PEOPLE STILL CALL THIS LENS, TO GET CLOSEUPS, A "ZOOM" LENS, EVEN THOUGH IT IS A FIXED LENS. THEY CALL IT A ZOOM LENS BECAUSE THEY ARE COMPARING IT TO THEIR NATIVE 35MM LENS.
You are talking about people who know next to nothing about cameras and photography.
Referring to a fixed tele lens as a zoom, puts you in that category.
For 50 years photographers have made a clear distinction between fixed focal length telephoto lenses and variable focal length lenses.
A zoom lens isn't necessarily a tele lens.
There are plenty of wideangle zoom lenses.

Look at my video in post 78. I would not call that a social media shot
Most photographers would.
Digital zoom turns your image to mush at high magnification.
It's an effect you can only get with the zoom lens.
If you are talking about photography, try to use the appropriate terms
You mean you could only achieve this with a long lens.
Whether the lens is a zoom or not has nothing to do with it.

It’s just a little confusing with the zoom ranges and combos that DJI offers is all. In the end it appears you have two prime lenses at different focal lengths, only you have two different sensors/systems as well. When zooming around it jumps between them and uses hybrids where applicable, or so it seems.

To be fair those of us coming from the world of DSLR/mirrorless have to wrap our heads around this system. Not overly complex but still a learning curve and acceptance of lower quality than we’re used to seeing on some of the higher end cameras.

To be fair those of us coming from the world of DSLR/mirrorless have to wrap our heads around this system. Not overly complex but still a learning curve and acceptance of lower quality than we’re used to seeing on some of the higher end cameras.
Those of us coming from the world of DSLR/mirrorless just ignore digital zoom altogether.
We know we can do what it does in the computer.

A point of confusion for me is the hybrid system, so it’s strictly digital zoom then?
Yes ... the people that keep referring to a zoom lens have no idea what zoom means.
The drone has two fixed focus lenses and anything other than 1X and 7X are using digital zoom.
The Mavic 3 pro will have 3x as well.

More from Jasper on Twitter.

FuT7cJXXoAE1tQy

Reactions: gogorokokoko
Is he reliable? Where does he get his info from?
I have no real idea here but it does appear that he has product details, as if they're marketing notes.

If he's right, then the only change is the addition of a third camera. That's good for recent Mavic 3 buyers. At least they won't have much buyer's remorse.
It will be interesting to know which sensors they're on and how it's configured.

If the advertised data is correct, other than the 3rd camera, the only other improvement is frame rates, maybe due to the faster SSD drive? Or will that be FW dependent and the other models will get that as well with a future FW update? It's a sweet aircraft but I certainly have no buyers remorse for recently purchasing a Classic. I'm not a pro photographer so the Classic is more than adequate for my needs and far less expensive. And for all of you with the dual cam Mavic 3, I don’t forsee anyone rushing to upgrade. Seems an odd strategy here from DJI...

Reactions: TheGroove
the only other improvement is frame rates, maybe due to the faster SSD drive? Or will that be FW dependent and the other models will get that as well with a future FW update?
It's due to replacing the Sony 272 sensor with the 472.

And for all of you with the dual cam Mavic 3, I don’t forsee anyone rushing to upgrade. Seems an odd strategy here from DJI...
That's going to depend on the requirements of the individual user.
The 7x camera is fairly extreme and a big jump beyond the main camera.
For my kind of photography, I often want something different from the very wideangle of the main camera and a 70mm equivalent would be a big plus for me and more useful than the 7x..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2