DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 v.s Mavic 3 Pro - camera module comparison

The situation is certainly confusing, but DJI is hardly the first manufacturer to muddle the water. Samsung is the first to use the term "optical zoom" to promote their pericope lens in S20 Ultra, and all the tech review websites have been following the suit. I think they use that term to differentiate between "real zoom" v.s. "digital zoom". There's no need to get hung up on it.
No, DJI isn't the first to misuse the term "zoom." But, as far as I recall, it's the first time DJI has done it.

Hung up? Nope. But I hate to see people getting confused by it. Or being sold something that's not what they're expecting to get.

I would like to see a comparison of the M3 3x zoom vs the M3P 3x tele.
The M3P 3x fixed focal length vs. the M3 3x fixed focal length, that is.

EDIT: No 3X fixed focal length on the Mavic 3. 3X is achievable only with digital zoom. Substitute "7" for "3" in the original post and it makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filmarik
The M3P 3x fixed focal length vs. the M3 3x fixed focal length, that is.
I am confused, sorry. The original Mavic 3 does not have 3x fixed focal length lens. It has only two cameras. One with 24mm lens and one with 162mm lens. Digital zoom is nothing else than using less and less of the sensor area as you "zoom in" using less and less number of pixels. When you zoom in 7x on 20MP sensor you only end up with final photo with approximatelly 3MP resolution.
Let's not confuse this with the optical zoom when the lens does the zooming and the full resolution of the sensor is maintained throughout the full zoom range of the zoom lens.
Neither Mavic 3 nor Mavic 3 Pro has a zoom lens!!

Last edited:
That's crucial.

You figure UK and some other countries will use the same 900 gram threshold for what drones are and aren't allowed to do.

But maybe DJI thinks the people who'd buy this M3 Pro would be professional or commercial pilots in any events so they don't care about recreational pilots being limited in what they can do?

Thing is, even if people qualify for the more stringent licenses, a lot of jurisdictions, specifically cities rather than whole countries, have specific limits on drone flights so anyone requesting permission or permits for commercial flights might be presented with a huge bill.

That seems to be the case in a lot of Australian towns, they will often have information about drone permit fees, which are not trivial, because they figure you're making money from flying in their towns.
So why no discontinuing the regular Mavic 3 which was below 900 grams? In the current state of things, it leaves non-professional users without the possibility of using different focal lengths whereas it was possible before.

I am confused, sorry. The original Mavic 3 does not have 3x fixed focal length lens. It has only two cameras. One with 24mm lens and one with 162mm lens. Digital zoom is nothing else than using less and less of the sensor area as you "zoom in" using less and less number of pixels. When you zoom in 7x on 20MP sensor you only end up with final photo with approximatelly 3MP resolution.
Let's not confuse this with the optical zoom when the lens does the zooming and the full resolution of the sensor is maintained throughout the full zoom range of the zoom lens.
Neither Mavic 3 nor Mavic 3 Pro has a zoom lens!!
You're fine. My comment was confused. I'm adding a note to it. We're both on the same page.

Reactions: Filmarik
Why is the tree'd background completely different? I get there's a measly +4mm zoom but should it look THAT different? weird
I would like to see a comparison of the M3 3x zoom vs the M3P 3x tele.
The sample on the right (using the “new” 7X) was shot at a significantly closer distance from subject. Compare the size of the DJI engineer at his vacation cabin…he’s much “bigger” on the right side.

The sample on the right (using the “new” 7X) was shot at a significantly closer distance from subject. Compare the size of the DJI engineer at his vacation cabin…he’s much “bigger” on the right side.
See post #51

Nothing for anyone outside Europe

Unless you want to visit and fly in Europe.

American visiting Spain right now.

I registered in France and it's valid until 2026. But my M2P doesn't have a CE mark and unless DJI pays to get older drones certified with the CE label, the M2P will be severely restricted in where it could fly.

So I would be looking to upgrade and M3 is one of the first drones to get a CE label, meaning it should have similar rights to recreational flights as current drones. But from 2024 or 2025, that may change.

Knowing that DJI loves to come with hundred versions of their drones, I'm waiting for the Mavic 3 Classic upgraded with the 4/3 sensor - 24 mm lens and 1/1.3 sensor - 70 mm lens under 900 grams for the European market.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Knowing that DJI loves to come with hundred versions of their drones, I'm waiting for the Mavic 3 Classic upgraded with the 4/3 sensor - 24 mm lens and 1/1.3 sensor - 70 mm lens under 900 grams for the European market.

Thanks in advance

Or upgrade the camera on the Air 2S -- with the latest 1-inch sensor and mechanical shutter and sell for same price as the Air 2S currently.

Such a product would probably hurt M3 sales, particularly the M3 Classic.

They will probably wait until the M3 Classic has been out 6 to 12 months and then introduce the new Air because obviously they're hoping to sell a lot of the M3C and M3P fetching higher prices.

Or upgrade the camera on the Air 2S -- with the latest 1-inch sensor and mechanical shutter and sell for same price as the Air 2S currently.

Such a product would probably hurt M3 sales, particularly the M3 Classic.

They will probably wait until the M3 Classic has been out 6 to 12 months and then introduce the new Air because obviously they're hoping to sell a lot of the M3C and M3P fetching higher prices.
The Mavic 3 Classic will probably be the last DJI product I will buy then. Such a short time between different drone iterations would be a joke. Technology is evolving too fast.

The Mavic 3 Classic will probably be the last DJI product I will buy then. Such a short time between different drone iterations would be a joke. Technology is evolving too fast.
So you'd give up on the market leader, because they bring out new models?
You don't have to buy them all.
You could just decide which model you want to buy and leave it at that.

Yes I would not mind to leave the market until DJI decide to sell drones with swappable cameras which would avoid all this mess and should have been done at the first place.

The price difference between the Air 2S and M3C is only $150 For the base configUration.

Not really that much but the M3C I also abOut 50% hEavier, just under 900 grams vs. Just under 600 grams.

a lot of people might make the trade off, 1 inch sensor vs. Micro Four Thirds sensor, for 10.6 ounces less, more than 7/10 of a pound lighter.

of course the M3C is probably better against wind though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dipshot