DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Wide Angle Lens

I've used the horizontal pano a few times. I've had fun with the 360 panos and produced "little planet" round prints, printed on round metal. So it really does look like a planet. I've sold several of those. It's really a trial and error process for me though. Judging how high to fly before taking the shot(s) varies with every location.

Attachments

• 2DA9B4BE-8513-4DEF-BBE3-174EE77DC1FA.jpeg
    2DA9B4BE-8513-4DEF-BBE3-174EE77DC1FA.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
I've used the horizontal pano a few times. I've had fun with the 360 panos and produced "little planet" round prints, printed on round metal. So it really does look like a planet. I've sold several of those. It's really a trial and error process for me though. Judging how high to fly before taking the shot(s) varies with every location.
thats brilliant and beautiful

Thank you. It's fun to experiment with that feature. I've had some success with that technique over snowy scenes. And when several of the metal fabricators started offering custom shapes, this result just fell into place.
where did you print that? It is a canvas print right?

It's metal, in this case a non-glare metal. I do all of my printing through Bay Photo. They are pricy but have the broadest product offering that I know of. For example I can make metal prints at any size or shape. They recently made a 72 x 30 for me. Shipped it in a custom built wood crate. I can't image a round canvas. Seems like a round stretch frame would be difficult.

But as there is no panorama function by now, it's not possible anyway.
You don't need an automated panorama function to shoot panoramas.
It's simple and easy to manually shoot panoramas, and gives you a lot more flexibility.

It's metal, in this case a non-glare metal. I do all of my printing through Bay Photo. They are pricy but have the broadest product offering that I know of. For example I can make metal prints at any size or shape. They recently made a 72 x 30 for me. Shipped it in a custom built wood crate. I can't image a round canvas. Seems like a round stretch frame would be difficult.
Nice will check them out

It's simple and easy to manually shoot panoramas, and gives you a lot more flexibility.
It isn't that hard, you are right. But I would prefer to just use the 15mm lens, assuming it's a quality piece of glass. That's one reason I will buy the add on when it's available. I 100% agree with your comment about flexibility though. I tried the 180 degree automated panos on my M2P, and never kept a single one. I wanted to control the vertical pitch of the gimble and it wouldn't let me.

It will be interesting to see the quality of the photos from this 15mm lens. I have a feeling there could be a lot of edge sharpness lost (of what little there already is).

Reactions: offtheback
It will be interesting to see the quality of the photos from this 15mm lens. I have a feeling there could be a lot of edge sharpness lost (of what little there already is).
I'm anxious to get my hands on it. I'm hopeful that its release isn't too far out. I have a very good opportunity to use it in February in Kauai. I have the shots in my mind. 😀.

Is that some sort of tip or strange argument?
I certainly quite well know how to do it manually (as I do it for simpler ones), yet this functions has been here for ages and yet DJI lacks to implement it from the start.

Shooting a consistent 360 ° panorama with > 30 pictures multiple times manually ... well, if you like to do that, go for it (I am not speaking of a simple 3 - 5 stitch). That's not something I would pay 2k Euros and hope for it to be available later. It's already a pain that those panoramas don't feature AEB with it, yet with Litchi it's somehow supported, but having to do it manually is just a shame and should not by any means be excused.

Is that some sort of tip or strange argument?
I certainly quite well know how to do it manually (as I do it for simpler ones), yet this functions has been here for ages and yet DJI lacks to implement it from the start.
Perhaps it's a language problem?
Since you said that it's not possible because there is no panorama function, it seemed that you weren't aware that it is possible to manually shoot panoramas.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Maybe, as English is not my native language. ;)

But I guess, we can assume, to what I was refering: there is no automatic mode for panoramas which tremendously helps you shooting multi-row ones (> 20 pictures for 180 ° and > 30 pictures for 360 ° spheres).

Let's see, if DJI holds the promises.

Last edited:
First of all, this lens is not specifically designed for the Cine version. Photographers are potentially more interested in this add-on than videographers.

I placed the order immediately when I saw its existence online, knowing it is one feature that separates Mavic 3 from all other models in DJI's product line. There is no equivalent of such a super wide angle lens, even in DJI's expensive, professional-grade lens for Zenmure X5S/X7 cameras.
Why not just shoot a panorama? it will be higher quality and that lens will probably affect the quality anyway.

Shooting panorama is not going to work, if there are moving subject(s) in your composition.

2021-11-13_12-45-22.jpg

It depends on how much post you are willing to do.

You don't seem to understand that in many occasions, once you missed the perfect composition, you missed it forever. There is no going back in time to fix it in post-processing. Even if you could, it would have been much simpler getting the right shot in the first place. The further you delay the problem, the more time you have to spend to fix the problem - that's assuming if you could fix it at all.

And this is just one out of many scenarios a wide angle lens works better than doing a panorama. Now think about the videographers - a wide angle lens gives them a powerful tool to create more dramatic footage, and there is no substitute of that with a panorama.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
You don't seem to understand that in many occasions, once you missed the perfect composition, you missed it forever. There is no going back in time to fix it in post-processing. Even if you could, it would have been much simpler getting the right shot in the first place. The further you delay the problem, the more time you have to spend to fix the problem - that's assuming if you could fix it at all.
I think he means hardcore photoshop in post ;)

And this is just one out of many scenarios a wide angle lens works better than doing a panorama. Now think about the videographers - a wide angle lens gives them a powerful tool to create more dramatic footage, and there is no substitute of that with a panorama.
In my mind, this is 100% true. I shoot multi exposure panoramas ONLY if I don't have a single lens that can capture the scene in one shot. For my purposes, the 15mm is a no brainer. The only "automatic" panorama feature I use is the 360 degrees and honestly, that is hit or miss. Every now and then I get a usable "globe". I would perhaps use the 180 degree pano feature if it would let me control the gamble pitch.

If I need more pixels for a very large print, I use Topaz Gigapixel AI, and it's awesome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark