DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air bad camera/lens?

There's not a prayer that bi-fold would open if it as represented in that picture. Defo some distortion going on there.

Again,...I hope someone can get this to DJI. According to DJI, the Mavic AIR has an Ambarella H1-A1 image processor with an extensive lens correction de-warping function. I'm guessing that this Air firmware is loaded with an incorrect warp correction model or they accidentally left it turned off in the firmware.

This can be fixed easily if DJI is made aware of this. (I'm sure it will get to them soon or maybe they are already getting that fix ready for the next firmware upgrade.)

But wouldn’t the curvature be around the outer edges vs warping in towards the middle? I haven’t seen my Mavic Pro do this. It’s not something I notice in most cases but just happened to here. The horizon seems pretty straight. It’s just at a point center from left to right, down from the top about 1/4 the way down.

Z

Good luck I’ve read too many bad things don’t want to bust your bubble held one in my hand at the hobby store the other day seem very plasticky I’ve got a Mavic pro eight months now love the Photos video pretty good for a half inch sensor but I’m purchasing a phantom pro soon with the 18 sensor can’t wait to get it good luck with the Mavic air, just watched a video of a guy on YouTube smashing it beating you at throwing water on it I’m sure you’ll see it real knucklehead I’ve got to say that dating is very tough

Good luck I’ve read too many bad things don’t want to bust your bubble held one in my hand at the hobby store the other day seem very plasticky I’ve got a Mavic pro eight months now love the Photos video pretty good for a half inch sensor but I’m purchasing a phantom pro soon with the 18 sensor can’t wait to get it good luck with the Mavic air, just watched a video of a guy on YouTube smashing it beating you at throwing water on it I’m sure you’ll see it real knucklehead I’ve got to say that dating is very tough

This is my stopgap until the MP2 comes out. I’ve had a MP from the start. Was one of the first in the country to get one. Though I’ve never obtained great video with my MP so I thought I’d try the Air for my upcoming three week trip to Thailand. Probably going to give my MP to my father-in-law over there, get some brownie points (he wants a drone bad), then sell the Air at a bit of a loss when the MP2 comes out. Other than this pincushioning I do really like the video I’m seeing with it. Noticeably better than my Mavic Pro. I’d just like to know if they can really fix it with a firmware update or not. Called DJI today. All they suggested was to reinstall everything, which I did. They will exchange it if not better, but really wonder if they are just exchanging because they don’t know how to fix it right now...

Z

Nothing that a good fix in Premiere pro cant fix. Gopro is pretty much the same thing.

I just don’t think they would have released it with that flaw. There has got to be something wrong. I just need to know if I need to send it back or wait for a firmware update. I’m not too concerned b cause it still has a great picture but i would like to get it fixed by DJI and not have to do it in post.

Z

I just don’t think they would have released it with that flaw. There has got to be something wrong. I just need to know if I need to send it back or wait for a firmware update. I’m not too concerned b cause it still has a great picture but i would like to get it fixed by DJI and not have to do it in post.

Z

I agree. I'm just saying though that every dji has had a lens preset in Adobe suite to fix the distortion that each len's produced so even if dji does not fix this issue it's easily fixed in post

I agree. I'm just saying though that every dji has had a lens preset in Adobe suite to fix the distortion that each len's produced so even if dji does not fix this issue it's easily fixed in post

Yep good call.

Z

This is my stopgap until the MP2 comes out. I’ve had a MP from the start. Was one of the first in the country to get one. Though I’ve never obtained great video with my MP so I thought I’d try the Air for my upcoming three week trip to Thailand. Probably going to give my MP to my father-in-law over there, get some brownie points (he wants a drone bad), then sell the Air at a bit of a loss when the MP2 comes out. Other than this pincushioning I do really like the video I’m seeing with it. Noticeably better than my Mavic Pro. I’d just like to know if they can really fix it with a firmware update or not. Called DJI today. All they suggested was to reinstall everything, which I did. They will exchange it if not better, but really wonder if they are just exchanging because they don’t know how to fix it right now...

Z

Yeah, this CAN be fixed in firmware.

Today, lenses are designed optically to achieve certain characteristics. If you want f2.8 on a 24mm wide (35mm equivalent) with a certain small size, it's often best to get the glass "close" to where you want it optically and let the image processing engine make the final corrections.

Everything in optics is a trade off like a teeter-totter...you push one side down and the other goes up. Many many camera companies today rely on software correction. It's 100% normal these days.

It just looks to me like DJI just did a simple screwed up. I think you are going to have to wait until somebody points this out and they send a programmer back in to make the correction mapping changes.

It sucks that we have to wait and shoot with it until then but I know they will get to it if enough people can make them look at it.

CT

Reactions: Zandian
Did a quick test, and I have the same issue:
You can see the warping distortion very clearly in the roofs during the yawing motion. It's pretty bad, not happy about it...

That is exactly what I am seeing on my videos as well, I did some roof line shots at a distance (just to check I wasn't being obsessive about this) and see the warping of the roof line through/near the centre of the frame and it is very obvious when you pan.

Mine is going back and I am sticking with my Mavic Pro.

Reactions: ErikDF
The AIR has a 85deg FOV lens, slightly more than the Spark and significantly more than the Mavic. As someone said, this is the same issue which affects a GoPro or similar action cams with wide FOV. It can be fixed in software or in post, but it's not a faulty camera.

dji-tello-mavic-air-pro-platinum-spark-comparison-chart_1.jpg

The AIR has a 85deg FOV lens, slightly more than the Spark and significantly more than the Mavic. As someone said, this is the same issue which affects a GoPro or similar action cams with wide FOV. It can be fixed in software or in post, but it's not a faulty camera.

dji-tello-mavic-air-pro-platinum-spark-comparison-chart_1.jpg

Are you talking about the general lens curvature towards the edges which is expected? I and others are talking about the near centre distortion causing wavy lines (not just curled up at the ends). That (for me at least) is not as expected!

Reactions: Callum
Just came across a helpful video on camera settings for the Air, but noticed the same distortion in their video, obviously how visible it is depends upon the scene, but you can clearly see a very wavy horizon (looking at the middle section not the edges).

Attachments

• airhorizon.jpg
    airhorizon.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Callum
Just came across a helpful video on camera settings for the Air, but noticed the same distortion in their video, obviously how visible it is depends upon the scene, but you can clearly see a very wavy horizon (looking at the middle section not the edges).
I strongly suspect that we ALL have this. We need to find a way to get the AIR developers to see it. Im sure that DJI help desk is just going to say "sure,...reboot, reset to factory defaults, send them a sample or send it back to DJI". There is nothing those guys can do. Its got to get up through the layers to the firmware development team.

Just had a quick chat with DJI. Hope they release an update for the ISP that corrects for the image distortion soon. If more people would contact DJI about this problem, we might have a bigger change that the update will be pushed through!

DJI_chat.PNG

And if the user doesn't have Adobe? How would you correct in other photo programs, like Corel PaintshopPro?

And if the user doesn't have Adobe? How would you correct in other photo programs, like Corel PaintshopPro?

Then you have a problem. Also, not easy to fix in videos where it can be very noticeable, especially if you pan across a horizontal...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet