DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Controller Pairing Issues

ajingrassia

Reactions
Hello,

I recently sold my Mavic Air on eBay after upgrading to the Mavic Air 2. My original was in great condition and everything was functioning properly. My buyer received the package with no issues. Upon starting up the drone, he performed an update and has since been unable to link the controller. I am still getting more details from him, but I do know he is using a Samsung Galaxy A30 as his device. I believe he also tried linking the controller without the phone.

Appreciate any thoughts on what could be causing this. I would hate to have to refund this purchase when I know everything works fine.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :)
First things first. What upgrade method did he use? Did he update the controller as well as the aircraft?
Perhaps he can join the forum and then we can guide him thru the process.

They should be able to follow these videos, get them to tell you where in the videos they are having trouble with.

For the firmware upgrade

For the RC and AC pairing

Reactions: dawgpilot
Welcome to the forum. :)
First things first. What upgrade method did he use? Did he update the controller as well as the aircraft?
Perhaps he can join the forum and then we can guide him thru the process.
I shared the link with him and also asked those questions. We'll see what he comes back with.

They should be able to follow these videos, get them to tell you where in the videos they are having trouble with.

For the firmware upgrade

For the RC and AC pairing

I did share these as well. He told me there were still connection issues. Unfortunately, he wasn't too specific. As far as I know, the update completed successfully and the RC will not link.

UPDATE:
My buyer only performed a completed firmware update on the drone, not the RC. When attempting to update the controller via DJI Assistant 2, he gets no response. The RC only charges. Photos attached of his progress.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6
UPDATE:
My buyer only performed a completed firmware update on the drone, not the RC. When attempting to update the controller via DJI Assistant 2, he gets no response. The RC only charges. Photos attached of his progress.

Any thoughts?

Do they realise the RC has to be "on" before connecting to the PC

Had you not updated the firmware on the Mavic Air in a while? Because there hasn't even been a new firmware update for that model for many months now.

Had you not updated the firmware on the Mavic Air in a while? Because there hasn't even been a new firmware update for that model for many months now.
My last flight with it was back in January. Didn’t receive any prompts to update then. Guessing there has been an update released between then and now. I really didn’t question it, but will go check when the last update was released. Thanks!

My last flight with it was back in January. Didn’t receive any prompts to update then. Guessing there has been an update released between then and now. I really didn’t question it, but will go check when the last update was released. Thanks!

According to DJI there hasn't been an update since February 2019, so it's a little strange that your buyer claims he needs to do firmware updates.

Edit: also looking further, the controller's firmware hasn't had an update since Sept 2018!

Last edited:
According to DJI there hasn't been an update since February 2019, so it's a little strange that your buyer claims he needs to do firmware updates.

Edit: also looking further, the controller's firmware hasn't had an update since Sept 2018!
Looks like there was one more release in April 2019, which would be the latest as shown in the photos above. Still, I have flown the drone a bunch of times within that past year & always made sure to keep it up to date. This is all very strange to me. I feel like it's an operator error, but he seems to be doing it the right way and following the steps correctly.

He says he tried with the controller on and also tried using the DJI Go 4 app. He also reinstalled DJI Assistant 2. No luck.

It looks like DJI have removed the firmware upgrades from the DJI Assistant 2 for the MA1 RC unless the server is down.
All I can do with the MA1 RC connected is "restore factory defaults" via DJI Assistant 2 push button

Does the customer get the "usb connected" dings when he connects the RC to PC ?
If not they need to re-run the driver install, follow the file path at the top in the picture and then run either the 32bit or 64bit drivers batch file depending on their system.

DJI Assistant 2 driver batch file - Copy small.JPG

The other problem they could have is that they have bent/ broken the tab in the micro-A usb port on the side of the MA1 RC by inserting a micro usb plug in upside down.
The tab is to the bottom of the Micro-A port and needs to align with the correct hole orientation in the plug.
A bent or broken tab will prevent the MA1RC from charging or connecting via the micro-A usb port.
It will be impossible to repair without changing out the MA1 RC main board or getting a new RC

Last edited:
It looks like DJI have removed the firmware upgrades from the DJI Assistant 2 for the MA1 RC unless the server is down.
All I can do with the MA1 RC connected is "restore factory defaults" via DJI Assistant 2 push button

Does the customer get the "usb connected" dings when he connects the RC to PC ?
If not they need to re-run the driver install, follow the file path at the top in the picture and then run either the 32bit or 64bit drivers batch file depending on their system.

View attachment 105000

The other problem they could have is that they have bent/ broken the tab in the micro-A usb port on the side of the MA1 RC by inserting a micro usb plug in upside down.
The tab is to the bottom of the Micro-A port and needs to align with the correct hole orientation in the plug.
A bent or broken tab will prevent the MA1RC from charging or connecting via the micro-A usb port.
It will be impossible to repair without changing out the MA1 RC main board or getting a new RC
Thanks for the info! I am sharing this with my buyer to check the driver installation. I think the USB port is ok since he confirmed that the RC is charging ok.

Thanks for the info! I am sharing this with my buyer to check the driver installation. I think the USB port is ok since he confirmed that the RC is charging ok.

They should be able to tell you exactly where in the linking process it fails ?

Also get them to remove the SD card and re-format it in a PC

If they check in DJI Go 4

AC firmware should be 01.00.0620
RC is 01.00.0200

In the same menu they should also be able to see the "Flight Controller SN", this would show a connection

Last edited:
They should be able to tell you exactly where in the linking process it fails ?

Also get them to remove the SD card and re-format it in a PC
From his responses, I don’t think he is able to see the RC within DJI Assistant 2 or the Go 4 app. However, the drone is immediately recognized and was able to be updated.

From his responses, I don’t think he is able to see the RC within DJI Assistant 2 or the Go 4 app. However, the drone is immediately recognized and was able to be updated.

To connect RC to the AC have they tried a different usb cable, a different phone and connecting via the usb port at the bottom of the MA1 RC.

Does the RC connect to the AC by itself without the app, is there a green led on the RC and a green flashing led on the rear of the AC ?

Could it be that he’s using the wrong version of DJI Assistant? DJI brought out a new version for the MA2, but the original version is still showing as downloadable on the Mavic Air Download page.3C82952A-9988-45D2-A9D1-E1F516DA7B15.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13