DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Fly-away

Well, that's a very impressive calculation, hats off. Wish I could buy you a beer.

I read in the manual to only calibrate the compass if the DJI Go app tells you to, and it didnt.

All things considered, isn't this a major flaw in software? The aircraft should be able to know when its heading 40mph away from the controller, through an accelerometer or something, and stop.

Anyway, thank you for your dedication, I never expected this kind of help from here. I will show DJI your calculations. Have a good one.

Well, that's a very impressive calculation, hats off. Wish I could buy you a beer.

I read in the manual to only calibrate the compass if the DJI Go app tells you to, and it didnt.

All things considered, isn't this a major flaw in software? The aircraft should be able to know when its heading 40mph away from the controller, through an accelerometer or something, and stop.

Anyway, thank you for your dedication, I never expected this kind of help from here. I will show DJI your calculations. Have a good one.

If the problem was local magnetic distortion then it was not a compass calibration problem. In fact I cannot see any way that a compass calibration issue could cause that result. The bigger question is why the magnetic yaw did not begin to disagree significantly with the IMU yaw as soon as the aircraft took off and (presumably) left the local area of magnetic distortion - that is usually what triggers a compass error and a switch to ATTI mode to prevent what you likely saw here. The aircraft DAT file contains the actual magnetometer data that would clarify that aspect, but it is not transmitted as telemetry.

To clarify, the FC knew exactly where it was, how fast it was going, and it which direction. What it had completely wrong was the direction that it was facing, so when it tried to correct for the unwanted motion and hold position, it applied thrust in the wrong direction. That's why an accurate yaw value is absolutely essential for the FC to be able to navigate.

As you mentioned in your OP, sports mode should fix this somehow? I usually hit the pause button if my air freaks out. What is the correct procedure when you noticed your drone not behaving as expected?

As you mentioned in your OP, sports mode should fix this somehow? I usually hit the pause button if my air freaks out. What is the correct procedure when you noticed your drone not behaving as expected?

I think that the Sport-mode disables all automatic positioning and attempts to stay in position, and gives all control to the pilot, stopping it from flying away

Dont quote me on that though

Reactions: JonR356
Sports Mode allows the quad to fly faster and with more sensitivity on the sticks. Because at that faster speed it can’t stop in time to avoid a collision, and because the pitch would make the OA sensors unusable, it turns off obstacle avoidance. But it still holds position.

If the current hypothesis is correct it’s possible that Sports mode would only have caused the Mavic to fly off even faster than it already did.

Mike

@Helgegustav I hope u get sorted out bud. I think the lesson is clear, make your pre flight check a habit. While we love to think our drones are "toys" sometimes we forget that they are expensive machines capably of flying kilometers away at 60mph. Hope you back in the air soon mate and that u get all the assistance you need from DJI.

@sar104 thanks for the effort man it is really appreciated.

I thought mavic could only climb to 10-11 meters height with no gps lock.

A83B0BBF-887A-4D5B-AB75-E9D9E54F70A0.jpeg

30 meters when GPS is weak and VPS is inactive. Does that mean VPS was off for this flight? Manual says altitude is limited to 5 meters if VPS is active and GPS is weak. A little confused.

quick question. I think the compass issue as @sar104 proposed it a likely cause.

Lets say my Mavic has the same compass issue, if I take off and then try to fly forward, It will move backwards, correct? if that happens I would know something was wrong. The OP only moved up and therefore never saw this.

quick question. I think the compass issue as @sar104 proposed it a likely cause.

Lets say my Mavic has the same compass issue, if I take off and then try to fly forward, It will move backwards, correct? if that happens I would know something was wrong. The OP only moved up and therefore never saw this.

That's not a definitive test for this condition. If you apply forward elevator then it will pitch forwards in whichever direction that it is facing, and thus move in that direction. The problem arises if the FC attempts to move in a particular direction relative to the earth's frame of reference, not the aircraft's frame of reference.

Amazing work guys! These kinds of threads are really valuable for all of us, as it hammers home the point of always doing preflight checks and generally flying as safe as possible. And sorry to OP for your drone loss. Hopefully DJI gets you a new MA free of charge as you can't be blamed for this crash. :)

VPS was as far as I know on, it worked when it was close to the ground anyway

By the way - if your aircraft will power up and if you can retrieve the onboard DAT file for that flight, we can review the raw magnetometer data to determine exactly what happened.

Hey sar, aside from your facing check, what do you recommend if things don’t look right in the air?

If I get any sketchy readings or semi-poor signal I don’t launch.

Hey sar, aside from your facing check, what do you recommend if things don’t look right in the air?

If I get any sketchy readings or semi-poor signal I don’t launch.

Land immediately. I would also switch to ATTI with the first hint of this kind of behavior, but that only works if you are flying a Phantom or have reprogrammed the mode switch on the Mavic controller to replace sport with ATTI.

That's not a definitive test for this condition. If you apply forward elevator then it will pitch forwards in whichever direction that it is facing, and thus move in that direction. The problem arises if the FC attempts to move in a particular direction relative to the earth's frame of reference, not the aircraft's frame of reference.
I'm sure you have more experience with it than me, and I don't mean the following in a bad/negative/rude way, but do you guess this or know this?

I would translate an (elevator) stick input to a "fly in this heading with this velocity" (Earth reference frame), and have the drone calculate the required angles based on compass IMU and GPS.

What you say they do is translate an (elevator) stick input to "put the drone at this (pitch) angle" (drone reference frame), and then apply compass IMU and GPS calculations. This seems like a mucky way to do it because now you have a stick input pitch angle and a different actual pitch angle (because of wind it can even have an actual angle tilting back while the pitch input is forwards). This will also mess with the expo and gain settings which makes the whole setup a recipe for mistakes.

I think in P-GPS mode moving the stick is not a command to the drone reference frame, but to the earth reference frame. Only in ATTI mode is a stick command an input to the drone reference frame (because in ATTI stick pitch == drone pitch). If this is true a drone with the OP's issue, in P-GPS mode would fly backward when giving forward stick input, I think?

I don't have any documentation to support my claim other than this is how I would have designed it.

I'm sure you have more experience with it than me, and I don't mean the following in a bad/negative/rude way, but do you guess this or know this?

I would translate an (elevator) stick input to a "fly in this heading with this velocity" (Earth reference frame), and have the drone calculate the required angles based on compass IMU and GPS.

What you say they do is translate an (elevator) stick input to "put the drone at this (pitch) angle" (drone reference frame), and then apply compass IMU and GPS calculations. This seems like a mucky way to do it because now you have a stick input pitch angle and a different actual pitch angle (because of wind it can even have an actual angle tilting back while the pitch input is forwards). This will also mess with the expo and gain settings which makes the whole setup a recipe for mistakes.

I think in P-GPS mode moving the stick is not a command to the drone reference frame, but to the earth reference frame. Only in ATTI mode is a stick command an input to the drone reference frame (because in ATTI stick pitch == drone pitch). If this is true a drone with the OP's issue, in P-GPS mode would fly backward when giving forward stick input, I think?

I don't have any documentation to support my claim other than this is how I would have designed it.

That's an insightful post, and I understand your argument, but it puts the cart before the horse. You are correct that in P-GPS mode the aircraft will attempt to match track with heading, but it cannot make a course correction until it detects a track. So, even in P-GPS mode, elevator and aileron translate to pitch and roll changes on which the FC will superimpose course corrections to maintain track.

Now if the IMU heading is 180° off then as far as the FC is concerned, initial motion when forward elevator is applied will be in the opposite direction than it expected - it will detect, effectively, that it is moving backwards instead of forwards. Its response will be more forward pitch, not less, to attempt to move in what it wrongly thinks is the forwards direction, which will push it even faster in the direction it is facing. Now we have uncontrolled flight, but forwards, not backwards, probably followed by a high wind warning flag when it is unable to correct for what it detects (incorrectly) as drift that it cannot counter.

On the question of whether I'm guessing - no - it's based on a combination of knowing how sensor fusion works in GPS modes and looking at logs of this actually happening. In this particular example the initial FC response was due to drift rather than stick inputs, but in other cases it has been stick input that triggers the uncontrolled response. The results are both consistent with theory.

So you are entirely correct that the goal of the FC in P-GPS mode is to translate elevator to "fly a track in the direction of the current heading", but your proposed mechanism to do that is not quite correct. It's not going to fly backwards on application of forward elevator because it doesn't know that it is facing the wrong direction, and once it moves in the wrong direction, it assumes that's due to wind and applies even more forward pitch, rather than immediately concluding that its yaw value is out by 180°. Does that make sense?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer