DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Purchase Poll

Think I'm gonna sit this one out and take a wait and see approach. Not exactly what I was hoping for, especially at this price point for a wifi drone. Also, it's the essentially the same camera. $599 for the base and $799 for the fly more may have made me bite. I was burned on the Spark price drop as an early adopter.
999.00 for the fly more combo 799.00 drone and controller

The Mavic Air is my first DJI drone. I've been patiently waiting for the past 18 months for this version to come out. When the Mavic Pro came out, I almost laid down $1299, but I didn't see the point, because I had pressing matters in my life that took up most of my day, that I didn't see the point on making a purchase like this, if I couldn't afford the time to fly it. So, I just made due with my crappy $100 toy quad.

I kept thinking that the Maivc Pro ll would be out soon, and then came the Platinum (or was it the Spark), either way ... not enough differences in the MPP and the Spark was too featureless for what I thought I was looking for. Then, on January 24, I started seeing Mavic Air videos popping up on all my subscriptions on YouTube. I called a friend and told him what I was seeing, and decided to sleep on it for a night.

I ordered it the next morning and they said they will ship it out on the 28th. So, I have no misguided perceptions of receiving it on a particular day, and I will just wait for my Tracking to give me that info.

I am truly just a hobbyist, but I do like to have quality items if I can afford them. The fact that this fly more package was $300 less, was amazing. The rear sensors and APAS were two big selling points for me as well. I've watched hundreds of crash videos and the rear sensors would have probably saved most of the backward crashes I witnessed. I like the small size of the total package, because where I'll fly it most of the time is a hike in the foothills, and the smaller size is very attractive for me.

I am happy to be on this forum and learn from everyone's experiences. I have a lot to learn, when it comes to video editing (again, I'm a hobbyist), so flying safely and getting back in one piece is my main concern. Getting that perfect shot will be secondary. I don't want to be "that guy" with the crash video on YouTube.

Reactions: deckdog
I feel the Mavic Air to be a bit of a downgrade. Range, Flight time for me are paramount. Reducing both is a deal breaker for me. They claim 21 minutes for flight time, in reality it will be around 15 minutes. So no, I will wait until a new Mavic Pro version is released.

Reactions: MavicAirMike
Ordered the Onyx black fly more direct from DJI on 1/24. I have FedEx tracking that it should arrive here in GA by 10:30am on 1/31

I feel the Mavic Air to be a bit of a downgrade. Range, Flight time for me are paramount. Reducing both is a deal breaker for me. They claim 21 minutes for flight time, in reality it will be around 15 minutes. So no, I will wait until a new Mavic Pro version is released.

I agree, to the Mavic Pro user that would just as soon be flying a small version of the P4Pro ... there are some downgrades.

As for me, this will be my first drone where my concerns this time around will be more of "not crashing" and videos will be more people than places. For instance, I will be using hand gestures on this drone, and I'm not as concerned with flight time, as long as I have batteries to exchange. Currently, my toy quad has six batteries that get about 6-7 min each before I land and swap. So, 15 min is twice as long. I don't know how I'll be able to handle all the time in the air?

I agree, to the Mavic Pro user that would just as soon be flying a small version of the P4Pro ... there are some downgrades.

As for me, this will be my first drone where my concerns this time around will be more of "not crashing" and videos will be more people than places. For instance, I will be using hand gestures on this drone, and I'm not as concerned with flight time, as long as I have batteries to exchange. Currently, my toy quad has six batteries that get about 6-7 min each before I land and swap. So, 15 min is twice as long. I don't know how I'll be able to handle all the time in the air?

Yeah actually I believe this is the one to go if you are just diving into the drone market. You will definitely enjoy jumping from a "toy" drone to a real quad, you will really love the technology behind it. Now my advice mate, take it easy, read the manual and all the options.
Practice bit by bit and please mate, do not flying it indoors, you will thank me later.

Reactions: MavicAirMike
Red is shipping. Mine did. (Ordered day 1, signed up for DJI Select right after ordering.)

My guess is they didn't have enough red to ship them to dealers? Or maybe they ran out of them for direct orders faster than white/black. But at least some of the Flame Red orders have indeed shipped.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga