DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash and subsequent disappearance?

Where is the drone?

• In the Ocean

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StrayaMavic

Reactions
Hello all.

Sadly my first drone & Mavic Pro has joined the ranks of lost aircraft at only 12 days old.

I was flying it on Christmas Island today when I was returning it to the beach. Sadly my angle to the drone didnt give me the depth perception i needed to see that the drone was too close to the side of the cliffs wind and my error saw the drone hit the bushes growing over the edge of one cliff and the bushes grabbed the props and flung it down under the bushes and precariously wedged against the cliff rock and the bushes over the ocean below.

Google Maps
-10.466810 ,105.711609

When the crash occured the drone still had 60% battery. I immediately went up the cliff via some tracks and attempted to bush bash my way through to the craft, however I wasnt able to get through the dense bush.

Cut, bloodied and brused I went back down to the beach and began salvage operations to recover footage with the remaining drone battery.

However the RC remote died at 45% drone battery remaining so i had to put the RC on charge. Based on my knowledge of Mavics they dont go to sleep to conserve battery when there was no RC connection, so I went into town for help for about 90 minutes before returning to resume pulling data from the drone remotely.

However when I returned to the beach the drone couldn't be reconnected to. I struggle to understand how the battery could run out so fast when just idling, but maybe my expectations are wrong?

I checked the ocean floor below (its only a meter or so at that point and the water is crystal clear) and im confident the wind didnt make it drop later. Not to mention it seemed pretty snug up there so I am wondering is it still up there but dead or did it somehow go walkies or swimming?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• received_10156029120949391.jpeg
    received_10156029120949391.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 32
Hello all.

Sadly my first drone & Mavic Pro has joined the ranks of lost aircraft at only 12 days old.

I was flying it on Christmas Island today when I was returning it to the beach. Sadly my angle to the drone didnt give me the depth perception i needed to see that the drone was too close to the side of the cliffs wind and my error saw the drone hit the bushes growing over the edge of one cliff and the bushes grabbed the props and flung it down under the bushes and precariously wedged against the cliff rock and the bushes over the ocean below.

Google Maps
-10.466810 ,105.711609

When the crash occured the drone still had 60% battery. I immediately went up the cliff via some tracks and attempted to bush bash my way through to the craft, however I wasnt able to get through the dense bush.

Cut, bloodied and brused I went back down to the beach and began salvage operations to recover footage with the remaining drone battery.

However the RC remote died at 45% drone battery remaining so i had to put the RC on charge. Based on my knowledge of Mavics they dont go to sleep to conserve battery when there was no RC connection, so I went into town for help for about 90 minutes before returning to resume pulling data from the drone remotely.

However when I returned to the beach the drone couldn't be reconnected to. I struggle to understand how the battery could run out so fast when just idling, but maybe my expectations are wrong?

I checked the ocean floor below (its only a meter or so at that point and the water is crystal clear) and im confident the wind didnt make it drop later. Not to mention it seemed pretty snug up there so I am wondering is it still up there but dead or did it somehow go walkies or swimming?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)
Howdy from Wyoming StrayaMavic, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I am sorry to hear of your loss, I imagine the drone is still siting there but it is pure speculation on my part.

Howdy from Wyoming StrayaMavic, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I am sorry to hear of your loss, I imagine the drone is still siting there but it is pure speculation on my part.

Im hopeful too! :)

Its great to be here anyway though even under these sad circumstances. Hopefully I am in the air again soon one way or another

Im hopeful too! :)

Its great to be here anyway though even under these sad circumstances. Hopefully I am in the air again soon one way or another
Can you climb down from above? Also try the "find my drone" feature on the app. Good Luck!

Perhaps you can find a helpful drone owner in the area to do a recon for you. Good luck!

Reactions: StrayaMavic
Can you climb down from above? Also try the "find my drone" feature on the app. Good Luck!

The only option is rock climbing really. Its basically the worst possible thick jungle spiky chaos you could imagine up there. You could swing a machete all day and get 5 feet. And rock climbing isnt something I can do haha. That light green shrubbery its landed in is only present at the edge.

I have asked around the town and hopefully there is a hero here who can help. The people I've spoken to are awesome here so fingers crossed.

Unfortunately i fly home tomorrow arvo haha. See what happens i guess. Expensive lesson but lesson learned.

Attachments

• sketch-1510592312444.png
    sketch-1510592312444.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69