DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC DID NOT RESPOND TO RETURN TO HOME COMMAND

jerryflah

Reactions
Today after an uneventful flight, my MP did not alter its hover after I hit the RTH button. The controller "beeped" indicating that it had gotten my input but the bird remained motionless 100+ meters up and another 100+ meters distant.
It responded positively my subsequent stick movements but when I hit RTH a second and a third time after awaiting some corresponding movement, I brought it home manually without an Issue.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the take off and hover procedure allowing the sensors/cameras time to get positioning.
I'll appreciate any helpful input.
Thanks JerryF

So I am no expert but the only thing I can think that may have caused this is that the drone didn't mark it's home point when taking off. This could be caused by not having enough sufficient time to mark it in it's gps. A good tip I learned is that when you take off allow the drone about 5 seconds to hover and get a good marking of where it took off or when the rear green light stops flashing. Would love to hear some more ideas about this.

forgive me if this is stupid / obvious question, but did you pressed or press and hold the button.
Remember that only by pressing and holding the button it will trigger the RTH, you can also trigger the RTH from the App.

So I am no expert but the only thing I can think that may have caused this is that the drone didn't mark it's home point when taking off. This could be caused by not having enough sufficient time to mark it in it's gps. A good tip I learned is that when you take off allow the drone about 5 seconds to hover and get a good marking of where it took off or when the rear green light stops flashing. Would love to hear some more ideas about this.

yes I agree. I always do that after taking off.

Hover for about 5 to 10 sec and manually trigger the RTH home location.
If you do this it will have enough info for the precision landing

A good tip I learned is that when you take off allow the drone about 5 seconds to hover and get a good marking of where it took off or when the rear green light stops flashing.

More specifically, if you want the most precise landing, you should hover at about 10m above the ground, not the 1.5m that the Mavic automatically pauses at.

However, you don't need the precision landing for RTH to work, just a GPS home point. My RC will normally inform me that the Home Point has been marked either before takeoff, or immediately when I initiate takeoff. I always wait for a good GPS lock before initiating takeoff.

It could be like stratos said - that you need to hold the button not tap it. Also it's good practice to not take off until it says it's got the home location marked. If it hasn't done that yet it probably doesn't have good gps yet and might not fly stably. I don't start the propellers until it marks the home location.

iPhone 6S

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
Its pretty common for folks to just quickly press the RTH button and expect the Mavic Pro to begin its return. As stated its a Press and Hold to enable RTH.

Its pretty common for folks to just quickly press the RTH button and expect the Mavic Pro to begin its return. As stated its a Press and Hold to enable RTH.
But in this case it should not beep, right?

This is Related to this thread
Here is the scenario the last home point setting was with the RC
Now the next flight is you are using only the RC now it malfunction.
Question.will it return to me which im holding RC??

Sent from my LG-H960 using MavicPilots mobile app

You can completely shut off the Remote Controller and that will indicate a signal loss . At which time the Mavic Pro should return to the last recorded home point and perform an auto land.

Today after an uneventful flight, my MP did not alter its hover after I hit the RTH button. The controller "beeped" indicating that it had gotten my input but the bird remained motionless 100+ meters up and another 100+ meters distant.
It responded positively my subsequent stick movements but when I hit RTH a second and a third time after awaiting some corresponding movement, I brought it home manually without an Issue.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the take off and hover procedure allowing the sensors/cameras time to get positioning.
I'll appreciate any helpful input.
Thanks JerryF
You need to press and hold the button. Pressing it will beep but holding it willing send the signal. You want to listen for a continuous beeping which indicates the drone is acting autonomously.

So helpful all thanks. Multiple mistakes punctuated.
1. PRESSED NOT HELD. GUILTY
2. STARTING MOTORS WITHOUT TRYING TO READ INFOMATION ON POORLY "LIT" SCREEN. GUILTY
3. NOT WATCHING REAR LIGHT TO STOP FLASHING. GUILTY
It's like having you guys out on the field coaching me.
Can't express my appreciation for the time and effort you all put in to help the newbees like me.
I'll become a better pilot in spite of myself, all because of the help I receive from this very essential and addictive by necessity, Forum

so after it says home point locked we need to take it up 10M or 30ft and wait a bit more ? Does it give any idication it took a better picture of the home area or anything to let you know that you are good to go (I am not talking about the home point marked message cause that can happen right as it takes off from the ground).

Does it give any idication it took a better picture of the home area or anything to let you know that you are good to go (I am not talking about the home point marked message cause that can happen right as it takes off from the ground).
Unfortunately, it does not give any visual or audible indication that it has what it needs. Even the manual's wording is very vague... "Aircraft must take off vertically. Take off altitude must be greater than 10 meters." It doesn't even really specify pausing, but I've seen at least one of the DJI reps say it needs to pause for a few seconds. Also, apparently any lateral stick inputs while ascending to 10m will cause it to not work.

so after it says home point locked we need to take it up 10M or 30ft and wait a bit more ? Does it give any idication it took a better picture of the home area or anything to let you know that you are good to go (I am not talking about the home point marked message cause that can happen right as it takes off from the ground).
I'm not able to check it for a while. Limited flying time next few days. Will check and get back. Thanks

The simplest way to do it is wait for a good GPS signal AND that the home point was recorded before taking off. After that, take off vertically only to just above 10 meters and sit there for a few seconds. After that, go fly.

I believe you only have to take it up and wait a bit only if you want the "Precise Landing" location. When you're controller tells you Home Point is recorded, you are good to fly and RTH will put you within several feet of your HP, whereas Precise Location should put you within several inches of your HP when you hit RTH.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998