DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Jello / Wobbly Video (2 days old)

teamjim

Reactions
My Mavic is experiencing the jello / wobbly video (that I've since discovered is not that uncommon). Here's a video ... (skip to 2.39 for quick example)

It started off fine (also the flight I did before this was a bit better), but then the 'jello/wobbly' gets worse and worse. starts off at 0.59, comically bad at 2.39, and continues in the shelter of my back garden at 5.38

Wind was about 14-20mph and I did get some warnings about high wind, BUT this doesn't explain it happening in my back garden on the same flight..

It was doing this on the first day and I was getting 'abnormal gimbal vibration' warnings, I then discovered than the gimbal wasn't seated under all its tabs, which I fixed, its perfect now, but the above video is since then.

This is the very latest firmware (v01.03.0500), I have refreshed several times, several IMU calibrations, several auto gimbal calibrations, several camera setting resets.

Temperature was 9c, not sure why that matters.

No ND filters yet, don't see why I wouldn't be able to get usable video without them

Props seem fine, I have switched them around with no big difference.

Should I be sending this back for a refund/fix?

Reactions: Nate107
Forgot to mention, horizons seem wildly inconsistent from beginning of the video to the end. Don't know if this is normal?...

Check the rear of the gimbal mount hasn't jumped out from under the tab.

Attachments

• a9aca8c4195b7898324b246c7dd91c28.jpg
    a9aca8c4195b7898324b246c7dd91c28.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 56
Check the rear of the gimbal mount hasn't jumped out from under the tab.
Yeah this was initially not under its tab on the first day, that's when I was getting gimbal warnings. I put it under, all tabs under now and footage has been equally as bad since (the above video was since fixing the tabs)

Maybe your rubber band fixings have stretched then, maybe see if dji will send you some new ones?

Only guessing as you said the gimbal tab was the wrong side when you unboxed....i'm sure dji will see you right.

I must say i think the rubber band idea is a bit poo lol

Hi Guys
I am having the exact same issues...Only I don't understand what the answers mean! LOL
Let me explain...
I have flown the copter with the gimbal exposed and loose - so that the angle of shot can be changed in flight...so: Without its lock, and I also put the cover aside....It makes no sense to fly with the lock in place! It severely limits what you can do with this camera
Talking about a gimbal that needs to be "under it tab" - what are you talking about?
There are no rubberband fixings on my gimbal - never been.. What....?
Flying with the cover in place sometime creates a "rotor swirl" which is as unapetizing as the jello/wobbly picture..
(Oh yes by the way: The playback problem is the same on my PC and also on my Apple Mac...)
Other issues I am having has to do with playback: 4K is smply too involved for my lowly PC to acually play...I am recording in 2.7 K at the moment...
at least the PC can now play the video!
I have found that downloading new firmware reset all factory settings and one has to change the video settings back to what it had been before...tsk tsk....

NOW :How does one fix this issue? Or is it something I wil have to get done by DJI once back where I bought this thing...

Reactions: Jamison74
This looks like an interference problem I have had this going behind tree for a couple of seconds, maybe you went behind a chimney or somethin for a few seconds?

No... nothing ...wide open air, relatively high as well....the problem increased after latest firmware update that addressed white balance issues..

Could some of this be "Heat Mirages" ? Just thinking outside the box! LOL!

Reactions: Sndflea
I have flown the copter with the gimbal exposed and loose - so that the angle of shot can be changed in flight...so: Without its lock, and I also put the cover aside....It makes no sense to fly with the lock in place! It severely limits what you can do with this camera...

Hang on one moment, you have been flying with the gimbal lock in place?
You do realize that the gimbal lock is for storage and transportation ONLY.
But yes, you are correct in saying that it severely limits what the camera can do in flight. As in it will be limited to not being functional because you have burnt the gimbal motors out.

No I did not fly with the lock in place. The gimbal motors works fine and I can control the direction of the gimbal quite nicely.
I have checked the small clamp at the back end of the gimbal and it also seated properly. - so no trouble there...
I have a stinking feeling this is a big software issue since I have not encountered it on any of my other pieces of equipment.
If it were a gimbal physical stability issue the whole picture would wobble and cause the jello line effect that it has.. The "wobble" is in perfect focus! But it comes and goes...
I also have not had ANY mishaps while flying this copter....Also not while it was stationery....No damage/bumps whatsoever...
I am really at a loss here...

Update: I had to return my original aircraft to Mavik in California (While I was in Alberta Canada). This was in September. The tale is a sad one...
They replaced the aircraft with an older and, obviously damaged aircraft, which I refused to accept since my original aircraft was in pristine condition. It also arrived inadequately packaged with the gimbal cover off, and the gimbal totally loose! The arms on which the props mount, were also unstable... I returned this aircraft, after discussing my dissatisfaction with them. A few day later they returned the aircraft to me with a note that they had fixed everything - but it was the very SAME aircraft, in the same tacky condition!
I demanded to speak to a supervisor who advised me to send the craft in once more, and he/someone made sure I recieved another craft about 10 days later - just in time for my vacation in Southern Africa again!
However: It took me several weeks to pluck up the courage and find the time, to re-sync the new craft with the remote, and to run some proper test....
Oi... Same issues! Only added some more! Jello effect still a huge problem! The aircraft reports all kinds of communication issues regarding the battery status and the compass needs calibration before every take-off! AND it flies somewhat erratically/jerky! The camera operation is also not as smooth as it had been on my original aircraft...
I have sort of had enough and now am seeking a totally new craft or a (preferably) full refund so I can buy another drone....How does one get satisfaction after such a run around? It seems I have wasted about 7 months trying to get me a drone that I will be able to use and enjoy....
Sabres at dawn?
The matter is once more in the hands of Mavik Suport (for a fourth time!), but I am not going to hold my breath! Mavik is fast enough to accept a claim but seems unable to affect repairs...???
(Also I have vowed never-ever to buy one more item from BestBuy, since they have been only too happy to accept my money, but has provided zero support after I had asked for it!)

Yea definitely cannot fly with mavic gimbal clamp! I wouldnt fly with the bubble either to much glare

Yea definitely cannot fly with mavic gimbal clamp! I wouldnt fly with the bubble either to much glare
Well I did not fly with the clamp on... I merely said I did not change the rotation of the gimbal while in flight...therefor : "locked"...
Now on the other hand.. I have my foot squarely in my mouth!
With all my testing and being so very diligent about "testing"and all......Seems some older footage - from August - prior to the hectic sending stuff back and forth - worked it's way into my "new Mavic folder on my PC and sure enough it contained jello....I just looked at 'confirmed' new footage, and it seems reasonable....I do not detect jello..I can owrk with this now...I think...will test it again this afternoon....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78