DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic lost in sea

Hi, There's no way to put it in Atti mode manual, it's in goes into atti mode if it doesn't have enough GPS satellites. So mine went into atti mode at the same time the compass stopped working. If I went north(home at that point), it went maybe East or something... And so on.

No - you are still not listening. On this flight ATTI mode was triggered by the compass errors, not by a lack of satellites or poor GPS reception. Those were not separate events.

No - you are still not listening. On this flight ATTI mode was triggered by the compass errors, not by a lack of satellites or poor GPS reception. Those were not separate events.

Yeah u Said that, and I understand, well not all, its my first drone and I bought it in September. I'm just assuming when you fly indoors you have zero GPS and then it's atti mode, and when you go outside, it's atti mode until it get a GPS signal, no?

Thanks for replying to all my stupid stuff, very kind of you.

Yeah u Said that, and I understand, well not all, its my first drone and I bought it in September. I'm just assuming when you fly indoors you have zero GPS and then it's atti mode, and when you go outside, it's atti mode until it get a GPS signal, no?

Thanks for replying to all my stupid stuff, very kind of you.

Correct - lack of GPS will also result in ATTI mode, but that is not the only cause, and not the commonest cause outdoors. In your case, as in other similar cases, the switch is caused by compass errors - usually meaning that the two compasses disagree with each other and with the IMU-computed heading.

Correct - lack of GPS will also result in ATTI mode, but that is not the only cause, and not the commonest cause outdoors. In your case, as in other similar cases, the switch is caused by compass errors - usually meaning that the two compasses disagree with each other and with the IMU-computed heading.

Thanks, this post made everything more clear for me, regarding my last flight.

It now feels like, DJI is gonna come to the conclusion that I had enough control/time of the drone in atti mode to fly it home safely. That is of course, not how I experienced it. Yes I had control over it at times, and then the link dropped. Whenever I had a connection I tried to rotate it against my direction and throttle it back asap but I never managed, And as I wrote it looked like it was trying to land, and the speaker also said ”landing" numerous of times, and looking at the log there are many rows where it says "auto-landing" or something similar. And I'm pretty sure it was flying for many minutes, all by itself. Almost like my RTH clicks just started to work for a few seconds at random times and it started to fly somewhere, where it thought the home point where.

I'm probably all wrong, but that is what it felt like. I've been flying the very same path 50+ times as it is just outside of my house and it's a very open area without any obstacles.

Zzz talking to myself again bleh

Thanks, this post made everything more clear for me, regarding my last flight.

It now feels like, DJI is gonna come to the conclusion that I had enough control/time of the drone in atti mode to fly it home safely. That is of course, not how I experienced it. Yes I had control over it at times, and then the link dropped. Whenever I had a connection I tried to rotate it against my direction and throttle it back asap but I never managed, And as I wrote it looked like it was trying to land, and the speaker also said ”landing" numerous of times, and looking at the log there are many rows where it says "auto-landing" or something similar. And I'm pretty sure it was flying for many minutes, all by itself. Almost like my RTH clicks just started to work for a few seconds at random times and it started to fly somewhere, where it thought the home point where.

I'm probably all wrong, but that is what it felt like. I've been flying the very same path 50+ times as it is just outside of my house and it's a very open area without any obstacles.

Zzz talking to myself again bleh

As I mentioned before, there was a fault in the compass so it is worth asking them to consider at least a discount on a replacement. They seem to be receptive to that kind of thing.

Thanks! I'm wondering if the file could contain information that show that it was a faulty machine and not my fault or something?

Well for now I'm really hoping for the text file having GPS that I can put into Google maps or something similar. About the rust, it's a small lake, no salt water thank God.

I've seen a bunch of mavics being found in deep water, dried for days and then working again.
That’s a long shot for sure. definitely shouldn’t attempt to fly it again even if it turns on by some miracle. It crashed for a reason the first time and now that it’s waterlogged it could be dangerous to fly (or damage property or hit someone)

Demme when you were out in the woods did you turn on the Find my Drone in the DJI Go app to get the last position. I know you have the gps position but it may be easier to follow the blue dot homing in to the red arrow. I would look up into the crown of the trees.

Hi, my mavic got an error 100m out over the sea,I lost all controll, RTH did not work. It just lost altitude and then it was 0.1 and then all signals lost.
Probably not unless you are a scuba diver. I always you a getterback attachment when I fly over water.

I wonder, is there anyway to find out it last know. coordinates b4 Iost control. I know most data are stored in the mavic but how about the RC?

OK. Thanks. I was beginning to wonder why
No - not on a Mavic. And agreed - ATTI is trickier than P-GPS but not impossible. You can still use telemetry and still have video as you pointed out. But if you panic and just start randomly applying stick inputs, then it's unlikely to find its way back.
If I understand correctly then, one can fly the Mavic in atti mode with lots of "compass errors". Does that mean that if the compass fails completely, one can still fly the thing back home safely (assuming the pilot competency to do so).

OK. Thanks. I was beginning to wonder why

If I understand correctly then, one can fly the Mavic in atti mode with lots of "compass errors". Does that mean that if the compass fails completely, one can still fly the thing back home safely (assuming the pilot competency to do so).

The Mavic has two compasses, and compass errors, even those large enough to trigger ATTI, do not necessarily mean that there is no useable heading information or that there is not useable position information. If the compasses fail completely it will be harder to control, but probably still flyable.

The Mavic has two compasses, and compass errors, even those large enough to trigger ATTI, do not necessarily mean that there is no useable heading information or that there is not useable position information. If the compasses fail completely it will be harder to control, but probably still flyable.

Thank you. Your knowledge of the "under the hood" systems is impressive. I've read so many threads about "my Mavic just went crazy and crashed; will DJI give me a replacement?", only to then look at some of the data (including many that you've analyzed), only to find that it wasn't exactly as the pilot described.

As a Part 61 pilot, I've come to believe that the vast majority of crashes are caused by pilot error. And among the chief contributors to those crashes, loss of situational awareness is high on the list. That includes becoming aware quickly that something has gone awry.

I think part of the problem here is that the ante to begin flying a Mavic (or P3, P4 etc.) is so low, and that they're "so easy to fly", that when things go wrong, many are not prepared. The Mavic is a marvelously complex piece of flying equipment. As with real aircraft, understanding how they work, and how they fail, should be an important part of any serious flyer's training.

Thanks again for all your insight and for sharing your knowledge.

Reactions: sar104
Thank you. Your knowledge of the "under the hood" systems is impressive. I've read so many threads about "my Mavic just went crazy and crashed; will DJI give me a replacement?", only to then look at some of the data (including many that you've analyzed), only to find that it wasn't exactly as the pilot described.

As a Part 61 pilot, I've come to believe that the vast majority of crashes are caused by pilot error. And among the chief contributors to those crashes, loss of situational awareness is high on the list. That includes becoming aware quickly that something has gone awry.

I think part of the problem here is that the ante to begin flying a Mavic (or P3, P4 etc.) is so low, and that they're "so easy to fly", that when things go wrong, many are not prepared. The Mavic is a marvelously complex piece of flying equipment. As with real aircraft, understanding how they work, and how they fail, should be an important part of any serious flyer's training.

Thanks again for all your insight and for sharing your knowledge.

It's well documented that human memory of complex, confusing events is unreliable. Adding in a natural reluctance to accept personal error for these kinds of events, I think the discrepancies between stated recollections and reconstructed flight events are not unexpected.

Reactions: Turn11
Hi, my mavic got an error 100m out over the sea,I lost all controll, RTH did not work. It just lost altitude and then it was 0.1 and then all signals lost.

I wonder, is there anyway to find out it last know. coordinates b4 Iost control. I know most data are stored in the mavic but how about the RC?

This happened to me & was a nightmare dealing with DJI on it.
The Find My Drone feature is built in to GO 4. That will show you the last known coordinates.
The Flight Record will show you the exact route you flew in detail, including stick movement, speed, altitude, etc...
I never found my Mavic & ended up buying a new one even though I had DJI Care Refresh.
I won't buy Care Refresh again. I bought straight drone insurance from State Farm for $30. a year.

I know this doesn't help with your situation, I put a Marco Polo tracker on my MP because I live in the forest and knew if something happened I would need extra help to find it. See MP flyaway Not, in this week's most read discussions.

Hey guys, good news.

They will send me a new mavic pro without charger and RC, yay!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Good result, and demonstrates that it's always worth asking whenever the logs show unexplained errors. Did they give any explanation?

Good result, and demonstrates that it's always worth asking whenever the logs show unexplained errors. Did they give any explanation?

This is response I got:

"Thanks for your patience.

For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis result. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store. Do you want to ship it to Denmark when you place an order?

----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.

For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer below:
1.The serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it);
2.The proof of purchase of the aircraft;

Please reply this email directly and the coupon code will be sent in 3 working days after your confirmation. We are looking forward to your rely and have a great day.

Best Regards,
Poppy
DJI Tech Support
DJI - The Future Of Possible
Reminder:
Should you have any question about the data analysis result, please reply this email directly in 15 calendar days. Or the case will be closed due to a lack of response."

So I guess if I want an explanation, I have to ask for it, as they wrote on the final row.

Now for another question, as you see, they are asking me to provide them with RC S/N, but I can't find it anywhere, not on the remote backside, or in DJI GO 4 app settings->about. Am I looking at the wrong places?

u8ygXAG.jpg

B07h1W7.jpg

This is response I got:

"Thanks for your patience.

For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis result. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store. Do you want to ship it to Denmark when you place an order?

----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.

For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer below:
1.The serial number on the remote. You can also send us a clear picture to show the serial number (it has a QR code next to it);
2.The proof of purchase of the aircraft;

Please reply this email directly and the coupon code will be sent in 3 working days after your confirmation. We are looking forward to your rely and have a great day.

Best Regards,
Poppy
DJI Tech Support
DJI - The Future Of Possible
Reminder:
Should you have any question about the data analysis result, please reply this email directly in 15 calendar days. Or the case will be closed due to a lack of response."

So I guess if I want an explanation, I have to ask for it, as they wrote on the final row.

Now for another question, as you see, they are asking me to provide them with RC S/N, but I can't find it anywhere, not on the remote backside, or in DJI GO 4 app settings->about. Am I looking at the wrong places?

u8ygXAG.jpg

B07h1W7.jpg

The serial number of the aircraft is unrelated to the RC. That aircraft was 08RDE7T00100JY.

The serial number of the aircraft is unrelated to the RC. That aircraft was 08RDE7T00100JY.

Yeah, but they keep asking for remote controller serial number, which Is supposed to be located under a QR code on the back side(where I have marked it with a red rectangle). But it is blank as you can see. Is there another way to find out my RC serial number?

And why do they even want it, is it for their own use, to see if a specific batch is producing more error or something? I have allready extracted a bunch of files from the remote with a software they sent me.

Yeah, but they keep asking for remote controller serial number, which Is supposed to be located under a QR code on the back side(where I have marked it with a red rectangle). But it is blank as you can see. Is there another way to find out my RC serial number?

And why do they even want it, is it for their own use, to see if a specific batch is producing more error or something? I have allready extracted a bunch of files from the remote with a software they sent me.

Sorry - misread your question. That's strange that the QR sticker is missing - you should probably send them a photo of the blank square and point that out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard