DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Newbie - Confidence Lost...

Reactions
I finally received my Mavic Mini FMC just before Christmas, having waited on pre-order since early November. It's my first Drone, I was amazed at how easy it is to fly. I have taken it up to 100 metres, but that's my limit so far and hadn''t let it out of my sight.

However, I took it out one day last week and was a little braver. I took it up to about 50 metres (nothing dramatic there) and then out by no more than a couple of hundred metres. Granted I lost sight if it as there were some trees. Then it lost connection with the handset. Bear in mind it's Winter and although tall, the trees are sparse and with no leaves. I panicked, but it appeared above my head in a couple of seconds and all was OK. But it made me wonder, if a tree blocked the connection when I was only a short distance away, how can this little thing make it 2-3 miles out?

I'm having to use my old Galaxy S6 Edge, as my main phone is a Galaxy S10 running Android 10, which we all know isn't playing ball currently. During the same session as the one above, but in a totally separate incident, my phone shut down despite being on 94% battery. Again, my butt cheeks nipped up, but the drone was in view so I was able to compose myself and bring it in to land.

These 2 incidents have knocked me back in my flying confidence. Would you mind giving me a bit of reassurance as to the realistic capability of flying further than I can see? In terms of pre-flight, should I be calibrating the compass before every flight? Will it always return to home if the phone shuts down or it loses connection with the controller, providing I've let it set the home point?

Reactions: Drone Master
Your S10 should run Fly without issues. Be sure that your on the latest FW and App. Close all other apps running when you fly. place your device in airplane mode.
When you fly, keep the drone in VLOS away from obstructions such as trees and buildings.
Hope this helps! ;) BTW, Welcome to the forum!Thumbswayup

Reactions: Capt KO
When someone tells you that you should be on the latest firmware, do some research before you swallow that pill.
Two to three miles, not in most cases.
Compass calibration every flight. Silly. Some research there may be in order also.
Some reading material here on the mini firmware update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peio64270
Your S10 should run Fly without issues. Be sure that your on the latest FW and App. Close all other apps running when you fly. place your device in airplane mode.
When you fly, keep the drone in VLOS away from obstructions such as trees and buildings.
Hope this helps! ;) BTW, Welcome to the forum!Thumbswayup

I've tried all sorts. This morning, I cleared Cache/Data, then force stopped the app, then uninstalled it and deleted all related folders. I then restarted the phone before installed DJI Fly v4 from the Google Play store. Once installed, I tried to open it first in Airplane mode, then not and it doesn't open at all.

I've tried all sorts. This morning, I cleared Cache/Data, then force stopped the app, then uninstalled it and deleted all related folders. I then restarted the phone before installed DJI Fly v4 from the Google Play store. Once installed, I tried to open it first in Airplane mode, then not and it doesn't open at all.
I have an S10+ and it works fine. What is the issue with the S10?

I hope I read this correctly & not recommended!

“But it made me wonder, if a tree blocked the connection when I was only a short distance away, how can this little thing make it 2-3 miles out?”

I am new mm owner, on the phone subject, I have a Nokia 2.1 Model TA-1092 running Android 9 I would like to use this as a dedicated Ph for my MM which App or small tablet any suggestions I am using my i-ph at present no problems.
thanks in advance

I am new mm owner, on the phone subject, I have a Nokia 2.1 Model TA-1092 running Android 9 I would like to use this as a dedicated Ph for my MM which App or small tablet any suggestions I am using my i-ph at present no problems.
thanks in advance
Some reading material.

Just fly more to get expierence. First of all keep the drone VLOS which is mandatory in most countries. Test the RTH button time after time, as GreyFalcon says; do Not forget to set de RTH height above all obstacles wich could be in te way. And don't forget to update the RTH point. Most of the time you will have visual on the Phone, you can tilt down de gimbal to see where your drone is and you have the map, to enlarge when tipping it, to see the location and direction of the drone. Just practice, practice and practice, you will get confidence. As I have multiple drones, I learn everyday and still test new possibilities to get more practice

I have an S10+ and it works fine. What is the issue with the S10?

I see your in the US so have the snapdragon version.

In Europe we have the Exynos version which hasnt been working since the beginning of December and wont work till end of Jan. If we believe what Dji are saying

My mini has been sat in the box for 2 months

Read the full manual BEFORE taking off. Then read it again to be sure you really understand the technical limitations of your planned endeavour.
This includes risks of radio interferences and weather conditions (e.g. wind speed in your planned flight and RTH altitudes - wind increases with height and might be stronger than your drone)

But it made me wonder, if a tree blocked the connection when I was only a short distance away, how can this little thing make it 2-3 miles out?
Have you ever seen a car with realistic fuel consumption data by manufacturer? The max range is a more or less theroretical value under ideal conditions (no wind, sea level, no obstacles)

Read the full manual BEFORE taking off. Then read it again to be sure you really understand the technical limitations of your planned endeavour.
This includes risks of radio interferences and weather conditions (e.g. wind speed in your planned flight and RTH altitudes - wind increases with height and might be stronger than your drone)

Have you ever seen a car with realistic fuel consumption data by manufacturer? The max range is a more or less theroretical value under ideal conditions (no wind, sea level, no obstacles)
I've flown over open fields at the 2 mile plus distance, but I'm aware of wind and my surroundings. I dont fly with with winds over 9 mph...gusting to 13 mph. When the message comes up stating windy conditions, I take immediate action and so far no problems.

I hope I read this correctly & not recommended!

“But it made me wonder, if a tree blocked the connection when I was only a short distance away, how can this little thing make it 2-3 miles out?”

I'm not planning on flying that sort of distance, but obviously people have without problems. They must have been obscured by obstacles at some point. For example, the flight I described about was a practice flight, I was trying to video some Parakeets in a tree (a very rare sight in the wild in the UK), the tree was no more than 100 feet away from me, but I wanted to fly around it. That was enough to break the connection.

I see your in the US so have the snapdragon version.

In Europe we have the Exynos version which hasnt been working since the beginning of December and wont work till end of Jan. If we believe what Dji are saying

My mini has been sat in the box for 2 months

Luckily I have an old S6 Edge, don't you have an old phone that you can use? I might even use the S6 permanently, at least that way I won't be worried about dropping my S10 whilst fumbling it into the controller bracket!

Reactions: GreyFalcon
I'm not planning on flying that sort of distance, but obviously people have without problems. They must have been obscured by obstacles at some point. For example, the flight I described about was a practice flight, I was trying to video some Parakeets in a tree (a very rare sight in the wild in the UK), the tree was no more than 100 feet away from me, but I wanted to fly around it. That was enough to break the connection.
Mate, there are some things that might interfere like:
a) Frequency band. If you are on 5.8 GHz and behind a tree it might be a problem. I strongly doubt that this was the case, but it's possible.
b) Antenna orientation. You turn around, move the remote in the process and the signal get's lost. Check this thread for more info: How do antennas work
c) possible wireless interference. Again, spread a bit thin, but it can happen.

As for the phone shutting down, it could be caused by the cold or something from within the phone itself. As long as you are within visual line of sight and see the drone, you are safe, as you can fly it without a phone connected to the RC. this means that you can descend and fly it in a controlled way down to make it land. Be careful with the RTH button as you are inexperienced. Pay close attention to the return altitude and any obstacles as well as possible winds that might be not in your favor.

I don't like to preach the rules but interestingly the smaller the drone, the more difficult it is to maintain sight so Mini flyers shouldn't be sending their drones out any distance, that really negates the whole 2-3KM thing anyway. It's like a car with 140mph on the speedometer but you can't actually legally drive that speed in the UK on a public road anyway. I don't have the Mini but I have the Spark and I've never flown the Spark out of sight and never behind an object, that doesn't mean I don't fly it over a tree but I increase height to ensure I can still see the drone and by doing so I am helping the transmission signal.

If I were you I would check that RTH height and make sure it's set correctly for the location. I wouldn't calibrate the compass every flight.

I would find an open field, get used to the drone a little bit and fly that thing around checking out some of the flight modes, don't let the hiccups put you off, but slowly extend the range and build confidence in the capabilities of the drone.

The modern DJI drone is more than capable of getting back home if the signal is lost or the phone crashes, but you do have to make sure it's not behind an object taller than its RTH height so don't put it behind something, and ensure the RTH height is set. I assume that option is available in the flight app.

Reactions: sikspy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13