DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini. Can't take off in the dark. After firmware update.

It's better to get the update through Play so that you'll get subsequent updates. If your installed RAM is less than 4GB, then you probably will need to stick with the manual download.

Otherwise known as CYA! We are quickly becoming a nation of controlled slaves to the government restrictions.

This has nothing to do with government restrictions. This has to do with newbies ignoring warnings about low light and low or no GPS count and launching anyway then crashing because they don't know how to fly in atti mode.

After reading(not all)this, I’ll just stick with the .0300
flys just fine.

In the US: As a hobbyist? Yes; As a commercial Part 107 operator? You need a waiver

This is take. From the FAA
Rules for flying drones at night are:
  • Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  • Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

I try not to spam my videos all over this forum, but I feel like many of the questions and problems discussed in this thread are demonstrated and discussed in this video on this topic.

Dear Paolo,

Thank you for your kind reply.
This is what happened:
Starting up the Mini showed new firmware release 1.00.0400, loaded the firmware on the Mini, reboot Mavic Mini. Disabling flight under low light conditions.
Reinstalling Dji Fly from Google app store (only old version 1.03). No possibility to override flight under low light conditions remain. Frustrated I used a torch and later downgraded to 1.00.0300.
This was also a problem because the installed version of DJI assistant 2 on my computer didn't recognise the Mini. After reinstalling DJI assistant 2 I downgraded, everything worked fine again.
Checked DJI website for DJI fly 1.04, it showed only version 1.03.
But actually hitting download showed version 1.04 but website show 1.03. !
When installing trough website and not Google app store. Does upgrading Google app store app then still work?
Finally I installed firmware 1.00.0400 again, installed downloaded APK 1.04 from DJI and things work again.
The complaint I have is:
When installing upgrade DJI didn't tell: You need to upgrade from DJI site to 1.04, not from Google play (Version 1.03)
On website it showed DJI Fly 1.03, actually it downloaded 1.04.
DJI didn't tell me to reinstall DJI assistant 2 to recognize Mavic Mini.
Normally all upgrades works fine. This was was a rush I think because DJI promished Geofence unlock for blue area in 2019 because many people could not fly.
The upgrade was not timed professional.
It took me 2 hours frustrations to get it working again. I did not expect this from DJI.

Still offcourse I love DJI drones!

Best regards,

Rudy

Op 3-1-2020 om 18:24 schreef DJI Support (DJI Support):
>
> Your request(#2527XXX)has been updated, please reply the email below.
>
>
> DJI Support (DJI Support)
>
> 1月4日 CST01:24
> Dear Rudy,
>
> Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
>
> I do apologize for the inconvenience you are having but let me do my best to assist you.
>
> Upon checking your concern, please try to update or refresh the firmware of Mavic Mini via DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic (Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI). Also, please download the latest DJI Fly app version (v1.0.4).
>
> Please let us know if you are still experiencing the same issue.
>
> Thank you for choosing DJI.
>
> Best regard,
>
> Paolo
>
> DJI Customer Support
> Website: DJI Support – Here for You – DJI
> YouTube: DJI Tutorials

I've not personally downloaded the latest updates. With all this going on. I'm going to hold off as long as I can without it. Anyone else have their own reason not to download the latest updates?
Dave

Dear Paolo,

This is what happened:
Starting up the Mini showed new firmware release 1.00.0400, loaded the firmware on the Mini, reboot Mavic Mini. Disabling flight under low light conditions.
Reinstalling Dji Fly from Google app store (only old version 1.03). No possibility to override flight under low light conditions remain. Frustrated I used a torch and later downgraded to 1.00.0300.
This was also a problem because the installed version of DJI assistant 2 on my computer didn't recognise the Mini. After reinstalling DJI assistant 2 I downgraded, everything worked fine again.
When installing trough website and not Google app store. Does upgrading Google app store app then still work?
Finally I installed firmware 1.00.0400 again, installed downloaded APK 1.04 from DJI and things work again.
The complaint I have is:
When installing upgrade DJI didn't tell: You need to upgrade from DJI site to 1.04, not from Google play (Version 1.03)
Normally all upgrades works fine. This was was a rush I think because DJI promished Geofence unlock for blue area in 2019 because many people could not fly.
It took me 2 hours frustrations to get it working again. I did not expect this from DJI.

Best regards,

Rudy

>
>
>
>
> Dear Rudy,
>
>
> I do apologize for the inconvenience you are having but let me do my best to assist you.
>
> Upon checking your concern, please try to update or refresh the firmware of Mavic Mini via DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic (Mavic Mini - Specs, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI). Also, please download the latest DJI Fly app version (v1.0.4).
>
>
>
> Best regard,
>
> Paolo
>
> DJI Customer Support

Sounds like your report fell on deaf ears. They just told you to do the same thing you already did! Lol!

From my perspective, over the past 3 years, they've always had troubles trying to coordinate firmware updates with the app releases. Unfortunately, due to the nature of how the Google Play Store and Apple App Stores work, it can sometimes take an unpredictable amount of time for the apps to get launched at a specified time in all regions.

I've not personally downloaded the latest updates. With all this going on. I'm going to hold off as long as I can without it. Anyone else have their own reason not to download the latest updates?
Dave
If it’s flys fine, leave it alone.
Always goes back to
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Well, If you don't need to unlock the blue zone's, which many people need to because they cant fly anyway due to that, those have no choice. I don't realy need to unlock, in the Netherlands we don't have those blue zone's. Remaining the issue of flying under low light conditions, with DJI Fly 1.04 apk download from DJI site now you can disable this "feature..." . I prefer to keep the firmware updated but as you say better wait a few days, as we did with windows updates ;-) (Then the Beta test period is over ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Paolo,

This is what happened:
The complaint I have is:

Best regards,

Rudy

>
>
>
>
> Dear Rudy,
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Best regard,
>
> Paolo
>
> DJI Customer Support
Since MM first came out, I found Play would show an update, but would show it to be the currently installed version. Downoaded/installed update but not yet run. Play still showing original version.
Run the app, THEN play showed the update as the newest version.
OK, for the first few weeks, the version remained the same but the build number showed in the app would be updated.

By the way, app will show whether it was installed from Play or manually installed as APK.

The app is updated. The problem is that, you cannot fly it now in a not so well lighted room unlike in the previous firmware. You bring it out in broad daylight and it works just fine. What if I want to take a video of the rising sun? Or sunset maybe.
Big Brother DJI does not care what you want - they got your money now...

Dave
Since installing 4.2.20 on my Android Samsung Tab A, I have not been able to calibrate my compass, I have major pixelation of the screen making it worthless & a 3 to 4 second lag causing me to hit a tree busting all 4 props on my Mavic Pro. Went back to the previous update & stopped updating since then - no problems whatsoever - learned my lesson...

Big Brother DJI does not care what you want - they got your money now...

The problem is actually that the statement you quoted is not accurate. The new update is trying to keep people safe by giving them an additional warning about it not being safe to fly in a situation with out a proper GPS lock and without proper lighting. You can still choose to take off if you like, but they are just getting you to think twice about what you are doing to try to prevent you from losing or crashing your drone.

This and many other forums and FB groups have been filled with new, inexperienced users launching their drones in extremely risky situations and subsequently lose them or crash them. DJI did the right thing adding an additional prompt that users have to acknowledge before they go and do something stupid.

The problem is actually that the statement you quoted is not accurate. The new update is trying to keep people safe by giving them an additional warning about it not being safe to fly in a situation with out a proper GPS lock and without proper lighting. You can still choose to take off if you like, but they are just getting you to think twice about what you are doing to try to prevent you from losing or crashing your drone.

This and many other forums and FB groups have been filled with new, inexperienced users launching their drones in extremely risky situations and subsequently lose them or crash them. DJI did the right thing adding an additional prompt that users have to acknowledge before they go and do something stupid.

As far as I've learned in life, you still cannot regulate or control STUPIDITY. All it does is make it more difficult for us folks who follow the rules, laws & regulations... IMHO...
~

the thing you have to remember, is now that these restrictions are in place in the app, it means that if you choose to unlock the restriction, then any subsequent issue you have during the flight ,will mean that you will not be able to blame the mm for it,as you overrode the warning and it will be deemed operator error

It would be operator error even if the app didn't try to warn you or prevent takeoff. The app isn't the pilot -- you are. Not everyone needs a nanny state to save the ignorance of a few.

It would be operator error even if the app didn't try to warn you or prevent takeoff. The app isn't the pilot -- you are. Not everyone needs a nanny state to save the ignorance of a few.
you are correct and if people bothered to read the manual ,and didn't break the rules governing drone operation,then we would not have ever increasing restrictions being put on our ability to fly our drones, but that day has come and gone

The defeatist attitude won't get us anywhere either. Pilots that don't know how to pilot their aircraft and lose them will succumb to natural selection.
i am not being defeatist at all in the uk we have just had a new set of rules to fly by and despite me and many many more drone fliers taking part in answering questions and giving reasons why we thought that some of these rules were not needed ,or were not going to make drone flying any safer if implemented,at the end of the day we got them anyway
all governments are trying to play catch up,with drone regulation because of the actions of a few and the ones being put forwards in the us seem to be the most stringent yet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705